Home

Improving Coaching Carousel

This is a discussion on Improving Coaching Carousel within the NCAA Football Wishlist forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Improving Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by theharbinater
first thing is to include ratings for each areas of the game. even basic ones. have them affect their respective areas only.

example:

recruiting - how well they recruit
offense - how well the teach offense/how consistent their players are
defense - same as offense
sp teams - same as off/def
teaching/developing - how well they teach/how much players progress in off season
gameday coaching/gameplanning - how consistent the players play (if not tied into off/def/spteam)

second is to make oc/dc drop in prestige once they get hc position. while they might be regarded as the best oc/dc one year, but once they step up to hc, they are at best regarded as middle road hc until they prove otherwise.

like uf's muschamp this year.

almost forgot, HIRE and FIRE oc/dc once you are hc.
If ratings were black and white I would want:

Don't know if you guys agree with me or not but take out the two bolded above statements and make them the two below in this dynamic to keep it simple but also weigh more heavily IMO.

teaching= should be the aspect that affects progression of position specific attributes (ex. WRs route running, catching, release etc.)

strength & conditioning= same as above but for speed, agility, jumping, strength, weight gain etc. in progressing players

(of course not all schools have the mindset/ability of getting "cute" and teach only the basics but hinge their success on athleticism or pure toughness) JMO

Again those two would only be a "good thing" if ALL of these factos mattered during gameplay.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
Pro

sparkdawg777's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescorpio1985
If ratings were black and white I would want:

Don't know if you guys agree with me or not but take out the two bolded above statements and make them the two below in this dynamic to keep it simple but also weigh more heavily IMO.

teaching= should be the aspect that affects progression of position specific attributes (ex. WRs route running, catching, release etc.)

strength & conditioning= same as above but for speed, agility, jumping, strength, weight gain etc. in progressing players

(of course not all schools have the mindset/ability of getting "cute" and teach only the basics but hinge their success on athleticism or pure toughness) JMO

Again those two would only be a "good thing" if ALL of these factos mattered during gameplay.

That's interesting didn't think of that maybe if we have position coaches in the future we could include a S&C coach. I think Saban created their S&C program so this could indeed be an attribute. If you aren't Saban and want to focus your points on something else that you gain through years of coaching then you could just hire a good S&C to keep things balanced.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Rookie

kevj349's Arena

OVR: 4

I just don't know that you can place so many ratings on the coaches. Here is an example. Troy Smith played amazing for OSU a couple years ago. Always showed up and just did work. On the other hand TP is really spotty and can play amazing, or be terrible. That really has nothing to do with the coach. I'd love to expand some ratings but I think they need to be a bit general. I believe a team elevates the coach, not the coach elevating the team.

Yes coaches matter but a lot of it is right time right place. Don't misunderstand though, I do want ratings, but limited ones.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12

Lot of good points here. I think something that needs to be touched on is difficulty of the mode. I want to really work to move up through the coaching ranks. A more casual (3-5 seasons of dynasty then done) player may want a quicker reward for their work. I think there needs to be a difficulty setting added to Coaching Carousel dynasties. Sim/Heisman mode for the hardcore. Easy/Varsity mode for those that want to dip in, but not wait ten seasons for the dream job. I think that way, we can get a lot of the additions we are seeking in terms of ratings in while they still pull in the casual dynasy gamer. Not as major as some of you guy's ideas, but just something I was thinking about.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

The rating I would want to see are:
  • Charisma - for recruiting and keeping players from transferring/leaving early
  • Playcall Aggressiveness - It would be tough to have a playcall rating so I
    think this would at least make coaches different from eachother.
  • Teaching - Affecting progression

I also liked in 2k8 that you could earn points towards your rankings by accomplishing goals instead of your rating being assigned to you like in NCAA.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

I could see some ratings being attached to a built profile. Whether a coach has high rating in passing offense should be based on his experience within those systems. Whether it be as a coach or as a former player. So you could have various playbooks as an option and then number of years of experience with that playbook as a rating.

In addition to experience impacting ratings, I think "charisma" and "loyalty" would be a good rating to affect recruiting, "play calling" would be a good way to restrict how many plays you have available on game day, "poise" could affect pre-snap adjustments and "influence" to represent a coaches ability to turn the tide in a game or recruitment of a prospect.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 AM   #15
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

It's simple. Make coaches matter.

There's several ways you can go about doing it, I don't care which route they take.

Let's be real here for a minute. You could turn on NCAA 11 right now and play as a OC or a DC, just supersim when the other side is on the field. You could also just change jobs whenever you felt it was realistic. Your coach prestige would also change the better you did. You'd just be missing a few menus and new things like more specific coaching goals.

I'm not saying this to hate on the CC they have now, just to point out that coaches switching places in itself isn't that special. Not unless you first establish why coaches switching places matters. And to do that you need to differentiate coaches, make them have strengths and weaknesses. Why does it matter if Alabama fires Nick Saban then hires Lane Kiffin? On this game it doesn't really. Figure out the answer to questions like that, then figure out how to implement it into the game.

The difference between a good coach and a bad coach should be apparent whether you're playing dynasty, play now, road to glory or any other mode. This is an area where EA consistently falls short, they don't build a solid foundation first before adding the extras. We need a solid foundation that makes it relevant who is coaching what school. Making them have different impacts on progression/recruiting and different playbooks is a start but it should be deeper than that.

Last edited by poopoop; 05-26-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

OVR: 20

Every coach needs ratings. My ratings would be

Teaching: Effects the progression of all players
Recruiting: Effects the coahces ability to recruit
Offense: Effects the progression and preformance of offensive players
Defense:same as offense
Special Teams: same as offense

You could also have individual ratings for each position, but I think it would be fine without it. Another thing that I would like to see added in eventually is position coaches. If position coaches are in then the ratings for each position would probably be needed. Another cool thing would be if there were S&C coaches and trainers. They could have their own individual ratings that eeffect the strength, speed, statima, and injury ratings of the players. Also, there needs to be some sort of a drop off between the rating of a coordinator and the rating of a HC. For example, had CC been in NCAA FB 11, Will Muschamp would have been rated A+ as one of the best DCs in the nation. Now Muschmap is an unproven HC whos rating should be a lot lower. There are many coaches who are great assistants but bad head coaches and there needs to be a drop off when a coordintor moves up to be a HC. Lastly, if you are a HC you NEED to be able to hire and fire your own assistants. This is absolutly nescessary. I really don't know whyt it was not put in this year but it needs to be in next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist »