Home

What bothers you most about NCAA 2005?

This is a discussion on What bothers you most about NCAA 2005? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2004, 12:06 PM   #33
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: What bothers you most about NCAA 2005?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1619
some ofe you guys can continue to be sarcastic, but my drops reduced drastically with the sliders bumped up. i was helping a newbie and obviously not talking to you.

As far as the sone blocking schemes, a combo block is not always called in a zone scheme, each player is required to block the man in his zone, usually with a rezch block. But it depends on whether you want to double the lineman or go for the LB. Different coaches stress different levels. In college with quicker lineman I would stress the lineman go for the LB. Combo blocks are more a part of a rule block not a zone block scheme. Also in response to the counter, I like the way that the pulling guard and the FB fill in usually do a good job of run blocking. i would love to see better trap blocking myself but If you look at replays of the zone runplays, the lineman actually try and block their zone. The RBs job is to find the hole whether it is outside, inside or cutback. That is the philosophy of the zone play.
The idea of zone blocking as it relates to the running game is for offensive linemen to block in tandems which allows them to aggressively attack the defensive front. Zone plays are run to daylight plays for the ball carrier and thus the blocking up front needs to be aggressive in it's approach. There are rules that apply as there are rules for every blocking scheme.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:28 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 14

The only problem with playing 2004 is that Madden 2004 is not nearly as good as Madden 2005-- not even close. Also, isnt anyone else bothered by the fact that its easier to break long runs in Madden because it plays more honestly/naturally? I mean, shouldnt it be easier to take it the distance in college? Ive emailed EA and tiburon numerous times about this. Yeah, it might be pointless but Im hoping the shear volume will get through at some point.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #35
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW
The idea of zone blocking as it relates to the running game is for offensive linemen to block in tandems which allows them to aggressively attack the defensive front. Zone plays are run to daylight plays for the ball carrier and thus the blocking up front needs to be aggressive in it's approach. There are rules that apply as there are rules for every blocking scheme.
I beg to differ the idea of zone blocking is to for the offensive lineman to block any one from his pecker to the next guys pecker and block him, whichever way the run is going right or left..So if I am the right guard and I have a 3 tech then he is mine, the center would be responsible for the MLB and the right tackle responsible for the Sam backer. The left guard would get the 1 tech or shade while the left tackle would get the will backer. The 5 tech would be left unblocked and the QB would be responsible for keeping him away from the attack with the threat of a boot. Zone blocking does not require much combo blocks . Depending on the front their might be a combo block called. NCAA does not take this into account and just goes by the base zone block rule. Watch the colts play they do a lot of zone runs and this is how they block it. Also We do a lot of zone blocks in the offense I run and this is how we block it. not many dt blocks ina zone scheme.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2004, 04:34 PM   #36
Rookie

GoHuskies's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
i love this game but...
*** THE DISCIPLINE THING ANNOYS ME TO HELL ***

i wish it wasn't "in the game"... thanks for a great game tiburon but NO THANKS for making that not an option you can turn off
Old 12-14-2004, 05:49 PM   #37
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

I'm still playing this game

Things that bother me though...

- Slowdown, although it's really not that bad, if you use the classic view.
- Dropped passes
- CPU is just plain stupid
- Spray paint grass stains
- The commentary when your blowing somebody out. Nessler will keep repeating the same line over and over again. "This crowd is not exaclty rockin, but i can't blame them"
Old 12-14-2004, 06:22 PM   #38
MVP

Jwally's Arena

OVR: 8

-The playbooks should be more in-depth and more team specific. Teams like Alabama and USC shouldn't have an option play in every formation they have. Also, the playbooks are too alike. They all have 2 dives, 2 or 3 options, a couple of sweeps, and maybe a counter. Add more variety, like off-tackle runs and more misdirection.

-Zone blocking needs to be fixed, these plays never work

-Fix the DB's so you can throw the ball without them reacting to the ball before it is thrown and leaping 15 ft. in the air with their backs turned to knock it down.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I would really like to see these things fixed for next year.
Cincinnati Bearcats

Old 12-14-2004, 09:40 PM   #39
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1619
I beg to differ the idea of zone blocking is to for the offensive lineman to block any one from his pecker to the next guys pecker and block him, whichever way the run is going right or left..So if I am the right guard and I have a 3 tech then he is mine, the center would be responsible for the MLB and the right tackle responsible for the Sam backer. The left guard would get the 1 tech or shade while the left tackle would get the will backer. The 5 tech would be left unblocked and the QB would be responsible for keeping him away from the attack with the threat of a boot. Zone blocking does not require much combo blocks . Depending on the front their might be a combo block called. NCAA does not take this into account and just goes by the base zone block rule. Watch the colts play they do a lot of zone runs and this is how they block it. Also We do a lot of zone blocks in the offense I run and this is how we block it. not many dt blocks ina zone scheme.
..............................F
..............................................$
............C..................................... ...C
............................W....M....S
...........................E....1...3....E
............X..............T.G.C.G.T.Y
..................................Q............... ...Z
..................................F
..................................H

You bring up a good point assuming the defensive line isn't playing any games up front. Going off the way you described that blocking scheme if the center quickly left to block the Mike, that left guard better be a good athlete otherwise he would be hard pressed to reach the nose shade if he's slanting playside. With your blocking scheme the center has to at least get a chip on the 1 technique before chasing Mike.

If the defensive line is slanting playside the center and left guard will combo the 1 technique to Mike while the right guard and tackle will combo the 3 technique to Sam. One of the responsibilities of the defensive line is to use up blockers and keep them off the linebackers. This type of run blocking scheme makes that a difficult task for the defensive line.

Also your blocking scheme wouldn't account for a gap exchange between Mike and the 3 technique. How would you block it if the 3 technique took the playside A gap and Mike took the playside B gap? If you take the 3 technique in that instance this leaves Mike an open lane to the backfield. Even if the fullback blocks Mike, this block will more than likely occur in the backfield which will slow down the ball carrier and allow for the run support from the secondary to make a play.

Last edited by ADW; 12-14-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:33 PM   #40
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW
..............................F
..............................................$
............C..................................... ...C
............................W....M....S
...........................E....1...3....E
............X..............T.G.C.G.T.Y
..................................Q............... ...Z
..................................F
..................................H

You bring up a good point assuming the defensive line isn't playing any games up front. Going off the way you described that blocking scheme if the center quickly left to block the Mike, that left guard better be a good athlete otherwise he would be hard pressed to reach the nose shade if he's slanting playside. With your blocking scheme the center has to at least get a chip on the 1 technique before chasing Mike.

If the defensive line is slanting playside the center and left guard will combo the 1 technique to Mike while the right guard and tackle will combo the 3 technique to Sam. One of the responsibilities of the defensive line is to use up blockers and keep them off the linebackers. This type of run blocking scheme makes that a difficult task for the defensive line.

Also your blocking scheme wouldn't account for a gap exchange between Mike and the 3 technique. How would you block it if the 3 technique took the playside A gap and Mike took the playside B gap? If you take the 3 technique in that instance this leaves Mike an open lane to the backfield. Even if the fullback blocks Mike, this block will more than likely occur in the backfield which will slow down the ball carrier and allow for the run support from the secondary to make a play.
If the 1 tech slants playside to take A gap the center would pick him up and the mike backer would be going backside a gap and the left guard would pick him up, a chip block may be needed bo no combo block. And the 3 tech will be taken by the playside tackle and the sam would be taken by the guard, assuming he was going b gap. Zone blocking really is gap control. There still isn't many combo blocks. More like reactions if the shade(1 tech crosses me face what do I do, if the 3 tech crosses what do i do. A tema would know thru film study what stunts are being used and usually if a team slants strong the backers are taking the gaps the down lineman are leaving. Then thru reps at practice and during 2 a days and possibly spring a lineman will know what to do when d line crosses there face. Most D play gap control so u could still run this. A chip block may be required but usually it is get there and go.

We use zone blocking in our 3 step passing game, either zone rt or lt. We also use it on 2 zone running plays. the play is designed to flow rt ot lt and the back find the hole. the key word is find. The o lineman should try to puch the D wide and the back finds the hole and goes, he could also cut back. I must say ADW, i like your insight into the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »