Home

What bothers you most about NCAA 2005?

This is a discussion on What bothers you most about NCAA 2005? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 14
Re: What bothers you most about NCAA 2005?

ADW i would hope the D slants playside cause i would come back witha boot off of the zone run and kill them casue they would have no contain for the QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2004, 12:36 AM   #42
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1619
If the 1 tech slants playside to take A gap the center would pick him up and the mike backer would be going backside a gap and the left guard would pick him up, a chip block may be needed bo no combo block.
I enjoy this type of x's and o's discussion. I have these types of discussions on football coaching sites as well. I do have a question though, why would the Mike take the backside A gap when the flow of the play would be going to the strongside? I would think Will would take that gap. Now if we're talking zone blocking in the passing game this would be the case to pickup this type of stunt. As for the chip on the nose shade, even though it happens relatively quick, our coaching staff still counts it as a tandem block with the left guard.

Quote:
And the 3 tech will be taken by the playside tackle and the sam would be taken by the guard, assuming he was going b gap.
More than likely Mike would take the playside B gap not the Sam.

Quote:
Zone blocking really is gap control. There still isn't many combo blocks. More like reactions if the shade(1 tech crosses me face what do I do, if the 3 tech crosses what do i do. A tema would know thru film study what stunts are being used and usually if a team slants strong the backers are taking the gaps the down lineman are leaving. Then thru reps at practice and during 2 a days and possibly spring a lineman will know what to do when d line crosses there face. Most D play gap control so u could still run this. A chip block may be required but usually it is get there and go.
In our offense we have Ace, Deuce, and Trey combos. They are designed to purposely attack the defensive line. The specific blocking rules come into play based on what the defensive line does after the ball is snapped. Each one of those combos will have a "tag" based on the alignment of the defensive front and they are Base, Wedge, Slow, and Fast. For example our Ace Base scheme is a center/guard combo and is similar to what you're describing. This scheme is used when these two players are covered. With the other Ace calls the center makes a line call to alert which guard he'll combo with. A "Leopard" call is for the left guard and "Rhino" call is for the right guard. Deuce is a guard/tackle combo and Trey is a tackle/end combo.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:41 AM   #43
ADW
Pro

Quote:
ADW i would hope the D slants playside cause i would come back witha boot off of the zone run and kill them casue they would have no contain for the QB.
If I'm an offensive coach calling plays I'd hope they crash hard to the playside as well. As you said the bootleg off the zone run action would eat the defense alive. Also I'd start running the end around off the zone run action and I'll also fake the end around to force the defense to play honest on the backside. Controlling the backside of the defense is why the zone read from the shotgun is so popular now. You can base your entire offense off the inside and outside zone running game. In my opinion Glen Mason and Minnesota are probably the most effective zone running team in the country.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:01 AM   #44
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW
I enjoy this type of x's and o's discussion. I have these types of discussions on football coaching sites as well. I do have a question though, why would the Mike take the backside A gap when the flow of the play would be going to the strongside? I would think Will would take that gap. Now if we're talking zone blocking in the passing game this would be the case to pickup this type of stunt. As for the chip on the nose shade, even though it happens relatively quick, our coaching staff still counts it as a tandem block with the left guard.

More than likely Mike would take the playside B gap not the Sam.

In our offense we have Ace, Deuce, and Trey combos. They are designed to purposely attack the defensive line. The specific blocking rules come into play based on what the defensive line does after the ball is snapped. Each one of those combos will have a "tag" based on the alignment of the defensive front and they are Base, Wedge, Slow, and Fast. For example our Ace Base scheme is a center/guard combo and is similar to what you're describing. This scheme is used when these two players are covered. With the other Ace calls the center makes a line call to alert which guard he'll combo with. A "Leopard" call is for the left guard and "Rhino" call is for the right guard. Deuce is a guard/tackle combo and Trey is a tackle/end combo.
In response to your first question I am assuming the nose shae and mike are switching gaps . Most teams run a gap control defense and when they stunt they still leave every gap covered so if the nose shade stunts to playside a gap the mike backer would no longer be responsible for playside a gap but would then move to backside a gap.

You do have a point, will could come and take backside a gap and the 5 tech could slant to backside B, that would leave a safety responsible for contain and wouldn't be a great Defensive move due to the bootleg and end around.

We do similar ace, duece and trey calls. However we do not look at these as zone blocks. When we run iso, power, counter, etc we use these calls, when we run a "zone rt or lt" we try to block it just like zone block for pass, with us attacking the D.

In this example I am trying to think of the D logic and gap control. i was assuming when the D line stunts strong the backers would have to take over the gaps for the d line. And the d would still have to think of contain on the QB.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:04 AM   #45
Pro

ADW what do u do for a living???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #46
ADW
Pro

Quote:
ADW what do u do for a living???
I'm a teacher/coach.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:06 AM   #47
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW
I'm a teacher/coach.
me too, what part of the country??? Texas for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »