Home

NCAA Player Names?

This is a discussion on NCAA Player Names? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: NCAA Player Names?
1 179 43.66%
2 46 11.22%
3 33 8.05%
4 28 6.83%
5 124 30.24%
Voters: 410. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #121
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NCAA Player Names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
That is until you get more and more groups complaining about player likenesses in video games(and not the players themselves, I honestly think they don't matter, I'm talking about some heads who want to protect themselves against potential criticism) and more pressure put on the NCAA about the issue. Also you have guys selling rosters all over the net.

It basically boils down to the NCAA trying to protect there image to NCAA trying to make a few extra bucks. Keep in mind, that for every guy that gets rosters off the net, there are about 5 who could care less if names are in the game. You think the majority of those who buy NCAA spend there time on the net looking for rosters. Still, how many will stop playing if you can't edit names.

Personally, if the gameplay is good enough, I have no problem playing with AJ Mathis.

Why do some guy's think it wouldn't matter if the game doesn't allow name edits or release with fake names?

I can't accept that because I'm a pure SIM fan. That's like saying Madden will no longer have real player names but hey will just make William Roy be Roy Williams. I can't handle playing 3-4 years of franchise football without real life player names.

Even when I draft in Madden i have to have the real college players from NCAA not some dude that doesn't exist. IT's just not the same seeing a bunch of #'s or fake names running around on the field these days. Gameplay is very important to me in a SIM sports game but real players names is just a bigger part of that because it makes the game that much more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #122
Banned

OVR: 9

i accidenty voted 5 i meant 1....

very very important that we get names!
Old 06-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #123
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

Knowing what I know now..

As long as you can generate names, I am happy with editing the players myself. As long as WR #4 from TCU (hypothetical) is now Dewey Green or something instead of WR #4 in Madden, I'm happy.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:06 PM   #124
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
That is until you get more and more groups complaining about player likenesses in video games(and not the players themselves, I honestly think they don't matter, I'm talking about some heads who want to protect themselves against potential criticism) and more pressure put on the NCAA about the issue. Also you have guys selling rosters all over the net.
I've not heard anyone in NCAA or affiliated with the NCAA complaining about this issue whatsoever so I'm not sure where the idea that there are groups complaining about this or putting pressure on the NCAA comes from. I simply do not see it out there.

Quote:
It basically boils down to the NCAA trying to protect there image to NCAA trying to make a few extra bucks.
I don't think that the NCAA believes having editable rosters damages their image in any fashion. As you say yourself, and I agree, a good % of the population never even changes the #'s into names. It's not exactly a glaring issue and I seriously doubt the NCAA has ever really even thought twice about this subject.

Quote:
Keep in mind, that for every guy that gets rosters off the net, there are about 5 who could care less if names are in the game.
Agreed, and as I said, this is a good reason it's probably not even on the NCAA's radar in any form whatsoever.

Quote:
You think the majority of those who buy NCAA spend there time on the net looking for rosters. Still, how many will stop playing if you can't edit names.
Not many would quit but it'd be lost sales. And EA and the NCAA are both about maximizing profit. As I said, I don't think we have anything at all to worry about unless some college player or players out there form a union and go to court or sue or raise a big ruckus about the issue. And I think we all know how acting along those lines helped out people like Maurice Clarett. I seriously doubt you'll see this and that really is the only thing that would cause EA and the NCAA to disable this feature.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #125
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Why do some guy's think it wouldn't matter if the game doesn't allow name edits or release with fake names?

I can't accept that because I'm a pure SIM fan. That's like saying Madden will no longer have real player names but hey will just make William Roy be Roy Williams. I can't handle playing 3-4 years of franchise football without real life player names.

Even when I draft in Madden i have to have the real college players from NCAA not some dude that doesn't exist. IT's just not the same seeing a bunch of #'s or fake names running around on the field these days. Gameplay is very important to me in a SIM sports game but real players names is just a bigger part of that because it makes the game that much more realistic.
The thing that sucks is that the NCAA won't man up and let the game have player names. I hate playing with names like QB #11. It just looks weird. I want names on the back of the jerseys, not position and number. When I put in my draft class from NCAA it took my a while to edit the names. I think I still missed some players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2005, 10:24 PM   #126
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiok25
The thing that sucks is that the NCAA won't man up and let the game have player names. I hate playing with names like QB #11. It just looks weird. I want names on the back of the jerseys, not position and number. When I put in my draft class from NCAA it took my a while to edit the names. I think I still missed some players.
Dude why don't you just buy an Action REplay Max or Max Drive? It's well worth the money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »