Home

Truth about Release Date!!!

This is a discussion on Truth about Release Date!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #65
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Truth about Release Date!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHguy00
Isn't this the same thing that Kodiak and Nutzz have been saying for the past week? How many threads about release dates do we need?
Oh ... there'll be more than this ...

From experience going though a lot of these, all I can say is:

"It'll come out when it comes out."

Unless you have a crystal ball, no one knows when it will really hit the streets. All sorts of stuff happens .... instances where half of the country gets it one day, the other half the next ... or one chain of stores has it one day, but another is days later ... or release dates changing literally the day before.

Seriously.

It'll get here when it gets here. If arguing release dates helps pass the time, have fun. But anyone getting vehement about it looks like an utter and complete fool.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #66
Rookie

scrotozoa's Arena

OVR: 1

Dagger, I understand what you guys are saying and I realize that none of us will probably be getting the game before 7/13 (or that vicinity). The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that if on one hand, EA is making crystal clear to everyone that the game doesn't get sold until 7/13 by making threats such as withholding Madden, then why in the heck is there so much confusion from some of the retail outlets about whether the date is 6/28 or 7/13? I guess some of them could possibly be trying to lure pre-orders by purposely using the earlier date or maybe there are just screw ups at these companies. There is just something that doesn't make sense here but I guess we will all find out soon enough.

As to some other posts about the number of threads re: release date; if you don't like them DON'T READ THEM! There are NUMEROUS posts on this and all message boards that I think are silly IN MY OPINION but I just don't read them. Sounds simple to me. I think this is interesting from the business aspect of it as well as the fact that I want to get my grubby paws on this game as soon as I can.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:54 PM   #67
No end in sight...

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrotozoa
Dagger, I understand what you guys are saying and I realize that none of us will probably be getting the game before 7/13 (or that vicinity). The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that if on one hand, EA is making crystal clear to everyone that the game doesn't get sold until 7/13 by making threats such as withholding Madden, then why in the heck is there so much confusion from some of the retail outlets about whether the date is 6/28 or 7/13? I guess some of them could possibly be trying to lure pre-orders by purposely using the earlier date or maybe there are just screw ups at these companies. There is just something that doesn't make sense here but I guess we will all find out soon enough.
i would say that that those other retailers probably dont have a close relationship with EA like those specialty stores do, and simply dont know of the 'hard' street date yet and its consequences. Im guessing walmart/target see the ship date, and just assume they can sell it like years past. but when the game comes in with that sticker on the box, they'll just have to sit on the game for 2 weeks

btw.... i hope im wrong, but im just going with the sources that i have
Old 06-16-2005, 04:56 PM   #68
Rookie

scrotozoa's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm sure you are right. This is just all kind of interesting to me. It makes you wonder about the motives of some of these companies! I just hope the final product lives up to all the hype!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #69
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_incognito
Okay game businessmen I have a question for you. If your store buys a certain number of games, say 50, then EA has made their money from your purchase. It is now up to you to move the product to recoup your investment and make profits. If individual stores have to wait until the big boxes get their shipments before they can sell, this does nothing but reduce their chance of moving the product from sales to guys that cannot wait to get the game (i.e. midnight sales). Think of it this way; If the game is released on the same day everywhere, then guys like me (working stiffs) will just have my "stay-home-wife" grab the game a Target while she is buying sundries and it saves me a trip to the store.

I think that some of the game shops will break this street date to move their product on such an anticipated title. I would if I managed a store. What kind of "fine" are we talking here? And how in the heck would EA ever find out (or really care)?
Okay okay okay. Let me break it down for people who have never worked at a place that specializes in the selling of video games (Wal Mart, Target, etc dont count here, and I will explain why).

First to start off, here are my credentials. For 1 year I was an assistant manager at a Babbage's (Gamestop) and then for two more I was the head manager. This is the deal behind release dates, pre-pays, breaking dates, etc.

EA (we will use them as an example). EA develops a game, blockbuster title like Madden or Live, or something like that. EA contacts retailers (the gaming stores first because they specialize specifically in games). They tell the stores they are at a production point to where the stores can start taking "pre pays". EA collects this pre pay data and uses it to asses wether production should be ramped up or slowed down. Not development of the game itself but the actual packaging it up getting it ready to ship, etc. EA does this to 1. Controll mass production costs, and 2. to make sure manpower is getting allocated to where it should be going. This pre pay data also gives an approximate idea of how many units EA is gonna ship to each company warehouse (not individual store). The pre pay data is way more important to them than the "reserve data" because 90% of all people who put money down on a game are going to actually buy it when it comes out. The down payment is a good indicator of a "sold game". So say for example Gamestop has 1000 stores. They have on average, umm.. lets say 30 pre pays per store. Thats 30,000 copies that EA can pretty much guarantee will be sold. Now lets say EBX has 1000 stores as well and say on average they get about 10 pre pays for the title. thats 10,000 copies EA can pretty much count as sold.

Basically EA (or any other game producer) is controlling thier costs, AND getting an idea of who should be top priority for thier product. Say on for Launch EA has 200,000 Copies ready for purchase, No sense in shipping 100,000 copies to Wal Mart when EA has no idea how many people are gonna come to wal Mart and buy the game. And thats why you usually see stores like Wal Mart, Target, etc get the new tittles a few days if not over a week AFTER the gaming stores get them. And if for some reason there is gonna be a mass production problem on EA's end, they at least make a point to at least get out enough copies to statisfy the pre-pays. Thats why store clerks will tell you "if you just put your name on the list you might get a copy on launch day and you might not, if you put 5 bucks down, youre gonna get one on launch". This also makes the game stores push really hard to get you to pre pay because if thier store's pre pay numbers drop, etc EA doesnt look at you as important as your stores might have been before. EA wasnts to sell as many copies, as fast as they can.

Now here is the deal about the dates and breaking them. Game producers like EA of marketing strategies and campaigns. They have MILLIONS invested in these marketing campaigns and what not. They pay marketing agencies bookoo bucks to do strategy on when to release a game, how to market it, who to market it too, etc. On top of that they give a release date to the retail stores because EA has to prepare internally to track sales, demographics, etc. There is ALOT involved in this release date thing.

When I managed a Babbages store (Gamestop) there was a Kay Bee store across the way. We would get our games usually a few days before the launch date. We would use this time to get our list of "pre pays" out and stick thier names on the games, call them and tell them thier game will be in the store the next day, etc. We do this so people can make preperations to come get thier game, etc (its all about getting the games sold as fast as possible on the day of the launch). Sometimes someone would come in my store and say "hey they are allready selling Madden 2000!" I would call my distric manager, he would tell me to petty cash 50 bucks out of my register and go over to Kay Bee and buy a copy, and keep the receipt (which has a date on it). After thats done, my DM would tell me its okay for me to start selling my copies. That doesnt mean OTHER Gamestops can start selling thiers, but because I have a direct competitor in a close proximation to my own store breaking the date, I legally can as well...and usually its written up like that in contracts between the retailer and the game manufacturer. Basically EA will have some kind of agreement stating : Gamestop may not break the realease date unless a direct competitor has done so (usually a compeitior in the same mall as you or within a certain milage radius). If they break our date, get proof and your store can start selling copies as well. Of course we fax the receipt and the bar code of the game to our distract managers office, he in turns hand the info over to EA, we are not in violation for selling our titles early and Kaybee gets hit with a fine from EA. among other rammifications. *whew*
Old 06-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #70
Rookie

guy_incognito's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger55
lol...

it just wont end....

people have already said that stores who break street date will not be given madden 2006 (which is an even bigger profit maker than NCAA) so stores will not want to piss EA off....

gotta look at it from two sides
You are right. Wal-Mart will not get Madden if they sell NCAA before the 12th. Oh, and Target too, they will loose their Madden revenues if they sell it before the 12th. Cause I am sure that EA will go ahead and tell the big boxes to go screw themselves, on principle of course. And if the big boxes are selling early, I am sure that all the game shops will still wait. I am not saying that anyone WILL sell early, I am saying that I doubt there is THAT much of a penalty if they do. I really don't care, we are talking 2 weeks difference. And as a father of one (almost two) I get to play MAYBE a game a week anyway. But this attitude that EA will bannish you from good graces seems a bit unlikely to me. But I am no game business man, so maybe i am clueless.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #71
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_incognito
Okay game businessmen I have a question for you. If your store buys a certain number of games, say 50, then EA has made their money from your purchase. It is now up to you to move the product to recoup your investment and make profits. If individual stores have to wait until the big boxes get their shipments before they can sell, this does nothing but reduce their chance of moving the product from sales to guys that cannot wait to get the game (i.e. midnight sales). Think of it this way; If the game is released on the same day everywhere, then guys like me (working stiffs) will just have my "stay-home-wife" grab the game a Target while she is buying sundries and it saves me a trip to the store.

I think that some of the game shops will break this street date to move their product on such an anticipated title. I would if I managed a store. What kind of "fine" are we talking here? And how in the heck would EA ever find out (or really care)?
I believe the fine is 10,000 per store not company. That is alot of product that would have to be moved in order to recoup that hit. Just to simplify say a company buys the game from EA for 30$. At the $50 price point, thats 500 copies that must sold by that one store to make up the 10,000 dollar fine. 500 x $20=10000 It would be hard pressed for any store to hit even half that total especially for NCAA.

Thats not even getting into the loss of purchasing power for future titles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2005, 05:28 PM   #72
Rookie

guy_incognito's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak
I believe the fine is 10,000 per store not company. That is alot of product that would have to be moved in order to recoup that hit. Just to simplify say a company buys the game from EA for 30$. At the $50 price point, thats 500 copies that must sold by that one store to make up the 10,000 dollar fine. 500 x $20=10000 It would be hard pressed for any store to hit even half that total especially for NCAA.

Thats not even getting into the loss of purchasing power for future titles.
That is what I was looking for, the number. Now, is this number an actual, or is that pulled from thin air? I am seriously not trolling here, it would very much surprise me if it was $10k. That would be enough to stop me from selling, if I were in your shoes. If it were rumor talk, then I would certainly find out, because the big boxes will take a ton more of your business this year than last year. At least from the 30 somethings that don't want to go to a game store at midnight.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »