Home

Graphics versus Gameplay

This is a discussion on Graphics versus Gameplay within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #33
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:
Re: Graphics versus Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Well having unique entrances in and taking them out will dissapoint people. That's simple logic.
You just want to start an argument, don't you? The topic is gameplay versus graphics, and both is not an acceptable answer. If you aren't going to contribute to the topic, please don't post.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
Well, obviously having to do the research on all 108 teams is going to take away from other aspects of the game. That's simple logic.

No. you dont have an AI programmer look for that stuff, you give it to say, an Intern. It doesnt take a college degree to be able to check to see if stuff is the same colors and things like that. Looking at 108 teams uniforms, and recent pictures of their stadiums wouldnt take that long. I would say one month tops, just to compile a list of descrepencys and im being very generous with that. Now if it takes a while to model all the stadiums that they need to make changes to. Well they should have been keeping up on them in the first place. Listen even if they put one guy on stadiums for 10 months it doesnt matter. Graphics guys arent going to be programmers and the programmers arent gonna do the graphics.

What exactly are the graphics guys doing that take sooooo long right now anyway, the game has looked pretty damn similar for the last couple years if you havent noticed already
Old 07-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #35
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
And nobody here, with the exception of gamecock, can formulate an opinion on the subject, but everybody can gripe about all the shortcomings. Once again, it's armchair game design.
Lmao, I've already said that they are both equally important and that's not formulating an opinion? If you want the best gameplay then play a card game or a text sim. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who would want a developer to focus on either of them exclusively. If you want to play a game that looks like nfl 98 but plays great or a game that has the best graphics but can't do anything then be my guest. You can't focus on one thing if you want an enjoyable game.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #36
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I dunno I think graphics AND gameplay is what makes a great game?

BTW stop the bickering.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #37
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
You just want to start an argument, don't you? The topic is gameplay versus graphics, and both is not an acceptable answer. If you aren't going to contribute to the topic, please don't post.
You can't make a case for just one aspect of a game. You keep trying to insult people if they say anything bad about the game but you don't want to listen to what anyone else has to say. People get dissapointed when tiburon has something that people like and then they take it out for absolutely no reason at all.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 07-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #38
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
Jersey and face masks and socks aren't that important to me (might be to some), but not seeing Clemson come down the hill, the Hurricanes coming out in smoke, the Boomer Sooner, and the Chief putting the spear in the field at FSU's stadium before the start of the game is.

The sad part is that EA's used to include some different entrances and now they've been removed and replaced with create a fan and/or create a sign.
Thank you for your contribution. What you're saying makes perfect sense. I too believe the gameplay is more important than the graphics, but the persentation does leave me wanting in certain aspects. Jerseys and face masks being correct doesn't take precedence over how the game acts on the field, but the entrances do bump up the realism of the game tremendously. The create a fan and sign was a gimmick I hope EA will rethink in the future.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #39
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Unlimited resources? They have a budget just like any other developer. This includes staffing. EA is in the business to make a profit, not to please every single fan who buys the game.

I guess I should know better than to pose a hypothetical question on a board like this.
I'll try and actually answer your question without going off on a rant, lol. If the gameplay is great(along with the simulation engines-i.e. recruiting, stats) then I'm a happy camper. For me the FOOTBALL is everything. If they got every uniform and every stadium wrong I wouldn't even know. Once I found out I'd be disappointed with their shoddy, lackluster effort, but it wouldn't really bother me that much.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:44 PM   #40
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Well, obviously having to do the research on all 108 teams is going to take away from other aspects of the game. That's simple logic.
True, but again I think you're letting EA off the hook on this. I know personally, after seeing them include the 25 toughest places to play. The next logical step (in terms of presentation) would have to include specific team entrances for at least the top 10. I do admit that having the gameday crew included in this year's game is defintely a step in the right direction. Hopefully the combination of having the ESPN license + nextgen hardware will lead to even better presentation. VC certainly set the bar.

Call me greedy, but for my money I want it all.

Very good discussion to help me through the work day.

Last edited by GAMEC0CK2002; 07-11-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »