Home

Passing Game

This is a discussion on Passing Game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #25
Banned

sixthgradetyrant's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Passing Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
Actually, in my game, most of those yards came from short to midrange passes and then YAC. I think I only completed one deep pass to my TE for about 40 yards. I refuse to bomb away the whole game, as to me, that's cheesing. But I see your point.
Do you mind posting what plays seem to be working for you? And good to see you're not cheesing. Although with ND's receiving corp, I'm not sure you could. I'm playing an ND dynasty and DJ is by far my best WR as a true frosh. Stovall has been a 3-year bust so far.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2005, 12:22 PM   #26
Banned

sixthgradetyrant's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
How many hours have guys spent in the lab (practice)? I think each game have its own feel and practice can help. I havent played the game yet just picked it up but I am going into practice mode. I had a good short passing game in 2005.

Peace
Believe me, I've tried everything from O-only practice to O/D practice to pass skeleton to adjusting sliders. TO ME, it just seems like the passing game hasn't been touched other than to tone down drops (and not too much, either) and take out the speed cheat (although CPU reaction time is still unrealistic). Along with the ridiculous ease with which you can return punts, it's the low point of the game gameplay-wise.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #27
Banned

sixthgradetyrant's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadB
Which version of NCAA do you find to be the most impressive, 6th? I too will be picking up a copy tomorrow. However, after buying Madden for $20 last year and feeling incredibly ripped off I'm really hesitant to invest $50 in any EA Sports title. I figured I'd take a stab at NCAA this year after really enjoying NCAA 2003, but as I said I'm still a little shaky.
I think I have to agree with the crowd and say that '04 was the pinnacle of the series. '05 was broken, and '06 seems like it would have been NCAA nirvana had the passing game been anywhere NEAR as effective as the running game. If the passing game isn't a big deal to you, then this game is far and away the best of the series: from cool menus to inseason recruiting to all 1AA teams to new commentary, etc....it's amazing how slick a production it is.

Which for me makes the archaic passing system all the worse.

As far as Madden goes, I traditionally have preferred NCAA to Madden, but passing-wise there's no comparison. Whatever else you thought of Madden '05--and I for one was NOT impressed--it's passing game is 1000 times better than this year's NCAA passing game. Sucks for a hardcore NCAA fan like me.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:34 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthgradetyrant
I think this has been toned down this year, but it still affects the passing game. WR route running is slow and lazy, giving the pass rush and zone defenders an edge. Plus, defenders' speed to the ball seems to be almost AS FAST as the throw itself! I think all EA needed to do was perhaps include a "change of direction" animation that would slow down the defenders' break on the ball. Defenders in real life simply do NOT have the reaction time that defenders in this game do, especially when compared to a throw's delivery speed.
I couldn't agree more. Even if 2 WR's are running in a zone by a defender, and the defender is covering one of them, because he can change directions so quickly he can easily cover both even if they are running in opposite directions on a crossing route at full speed. In a true zone defense, each defender usually can only cover one person in his zone and someone from another zone has to move over to help out. This is easily seen when a defender is covering someone 10 yards down the field in his zone and you throw to a RB coming out of the backfield at the line of scrimage and the defender magically changes directions and gets to the running back before the ball gets to him.

I am finding that very few routes are working this year because defenders can cover such huge areas in zone and they never play man coverage. Out routes are too risky, crossing routes only work some of the time, corner routes are worthless. The routes that seem to work best for me are WR drags and in routes, quick slants, post routes, fly routes, and passes to the RB for short yards. But this severely limits the plays I call and makes it much less fun to throw. I've been practicing and getting used to this years version after playing 05, and I hope this will help but I just hate not being able to run simple routes like out routes and never have any success.

Also, this isn't just a problem when I play offense. When I play a cover 2 or 3 zone the computer rarely ever has any success and it makes defense too easy. Hopefully sliders will help.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:00 AM   #29
Banned

sixthgradetyrant's Arena

Now that most of us have the game, I'd really appreciate any feedback on the passing game.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:42 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthgradetyrant
As far as Madden goes, I traditionally have preferred NCAA to Madden, but passing-wise there's no comparison. Whatever else you thought of Madden '05--and I for one was NOT impressed--it's passing game is 1000 times better than this year's NCAA passing game. Sucks for a hardcore NCAA fan like me.
Hmm. That's not a good sign, to me. The passing game in Madden was, well, maddening to me. Some games, I threw more picks than completions because of LBs jumping 10 feet in the air...
Old 07-13-2005, 12:47 AM   #31
Please don't go.

cooldude's Arena

OVR: 15
Location: One of The World's Leaders in Crude Oil: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger55
im having a hard time passing, but i think its because my QB (Cox) is the worst starter on the team, and that i just suck at passing in general.

that and he cant scramble at all. blitz him, and hes toast
That's good to know for the league
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2005, 02:03 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 13

If you are having problems passing use the four and five wide receiver sets and throw deep lob passes to players running fly routes. The Hail Mary play is excellent and very near money and you can destroy the CPU using this play mixed with a few runs. The deep lob pass will not work everytime but if you mix in some running plays it is gold. Find a good red zone pass play when inside the 15 yard line and you are set. Forget about throwing short and medium passes. The deep lob pass on fly routes has been a money route in EA football for a long time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »