Home

Help an NFL 2k guy run better in this game please ;)

This is a discussion on Help an NFL 2k guy run better in this game please ;) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15
Help an NFL 2k guy run better in this game please ;)

When I say this, I mean more about technique then playcalling.

What made 2k so great was just the subtle little movements on the L stick were highly effective in getting a great run. In 2k, you tapped the button for speed. I liked that because it felt good.

so now i ask..what is the best way to do this in NCAA? I know you hold A down instead of tapping....when A is held down you can't really make moves..so what should i practice doing to get my left stick jukes down like they were in NFLk? any advice would be great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Help an NFL 2k guy run better in this game please ;)

I feel u man...there is nothing u can really do though. Running is much more simplified in this game and there isn't the freedom u had in 2k5. Just look for your hole and run there...
Old 07-13-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
MVP

Methlab's Arena

man..if that's the way it is, then a major complaint I have always had w/ EA football is the run game 2k just smoked EAs. I am not going to come in here and rip this game because I realy like it, but it is not even close in feel to the last 2k game. It is obviously the engine, and I hope EA gets a new one for the next gen consoles.

That being said..this game captures the college atmosphere so well, and i have had games that literaly are heart pounding..so i am not going to say it sucks, or not to buy it. It is a very good game. The run game just needs a lot of work, especially w/ the Mario running and the feel of it all.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

1. I am also coming from an ESPN2k background
2. I'm FAR from an expert in running in NCAA

Now with that said, with ESPN you really want to try to initiate the interaction between the runner and defender. To simplify you kind of want to run at guys. With the EA titles, you want to try to avoid guys. Most importantly though (based on your post) you really shouldn't have been hitting the speed burst in ESPN until you were out in the open. If you did it at the start of all your runs then your ESPN running could've been better. Either way, the same is true here. Lay off the speed burst. It is pretty straight forward so it seems you just need to slow down a bit but again you really need to hear from someone better than me.

My problem is stopping the run.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
MVP

Methlab's Arena

no..no i didn't hit burst until i was through the line in 2k. I waited for my blocks..I will work on that in this game..I guess to specify more tips on when to turbo, and combine w/ moves are what I'd like....like the last post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

An old trick I used to use in 2K was to juke at first contact when running draws and blasts, it was good for a couple more yards. I haven't tried it in NCAA 06, so i don't know if it works as well, but might want to give it a whirl.

Twitch Stream
Old 07-13-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

What I've been doing (again, I still suck at this game) is not touching speed bursts unless i'm already in a hole and see daylight or running a sweep (and not always then). Any other time I put my thumb on the right stick and don't even think about hitting speed burst. To be honest, the strategy isn't much different than 2k in this regard. The interaction is just different between the players. There is no push the pile and the stiff arm and shoulder charge don't create much of an animation so it's hard to know what's going on at times but you still want to follow the blockers the same way.

Running up the middle sems a bit too hard so far but I'm not sold on that just yet.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'd like to hear about some running techniques that some of you NCAA die hards use. You know you got the skillz... .so share the wealth. The running part is very difficult for me as well, but I usually take the ball and try to do different things each time. One run, i'll try a side juke, hit speed burst with a little stiff arm. The next, i'll do the stop on a dime, turn it around the other side with some speed. I feel that i'm pretty decent at hitting the Juke button to miss defenders, but I still cant bust the long run. I get caught up with all the buttons and usually hit the damn lateral on accident.

I'm not as good as most around here, but I do enjoy the game. I like to know if you use the D pad or the directional stick while running, which offers the most control/feel? I feel like my RB is too stiff, and I have very little control. It gets better with experience, and the pulsin impact player stuff seems to help with breaking tackles. Man, if it wasnt for that, i know i'd be down after the first hit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »