Home

The strategy behind putting a man in motion

This is a discussion on The strategy behind putting a man in motion within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2005, 10:36 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: The strategy behind putting a man in motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
I would say about 95% of the time, only time I dont is goal-line situations usually.
Is that about on-par with how often teams do it in real life too? I must admit that I've never really paid that much attention to how often real life teams do it.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:41 PM   #10
MVP

davin's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
Is that about on-par with how often teams do it in real life too? I must admit that I've never really paid that much attention to how often real life teams do it.
I havent payed much attention in real life to it, but I dont think so, I think the number is around 40 or so percent in real life, or lower, but I haven't really payed much attention so thats just a guess.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #11
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

I put a person in motion on pretty much every play, and most of the time I don't even think about it. It's just like a habit of mine...it's weird.

SOme teams, IRL, put a player in motion 75% of the time, but I'd say it's somewhere closer to 40-50% range on average.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2005, 10:47 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 29

i dont quite use it as much as davin, but i would say roughly half the time.....
Old 07-18-2005, 01:35 AM   #13
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

You put a man in motion to cause a defense to guess on a direction of a play or to actually find a open space in on the other side of the field or bring a extra blocker. Exploits holes in defense or causees holes to open up when the D shifts to react.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:22 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 4

Lots of reasons

see what the defense is in man/zone
create mismatch
extra blocker
mislead defense

Really depends on what play your using
Old 07-18-2005, 05:09 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 8

In the passing game, you do it primarily to create mismatches. You can force a safety down into coverage on your wide receiver, draw an impact defender away from your primary target, and flood a zone with more receivers than there are defenders to cover them.

Motion has a lot of uses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2005, 06:15 AM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Motion for the running game helps add blockers but can tip off the play to the defense. Counters help them from cheating though.

Passing does it to determine the type of defense but mainly add to confusion and prevent them from keying on your best receiver as easily. If you just line up every play, its awful easy to defend the best receiver.

When Sterling Sharpe was on the Green Bay Packers they used to line him up in the backfield sometimes and then motion him to where he is supposed to go just to keep the defense from keying on him as much which is a primary objective.

Joe Gibbs doesn't believe in a lot of plays but rather the same play out of tons of different formations. He'll motion guys a few times, sometimes back to where they started. It gets the defense confused sometimes and if they start thinking too much they can forget their assignments. However, that can also happen to a young offense, they can get confused too. Guys like Sean Payton really believe in it too for the confusion aspect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »