Home

The good ol' days VS. NCAA 06

This is a discussion on The good ol' days VS. NCAA 06 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #89
MVP

davin's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: The good ol' days VS. NCAA 06

This is a great thread, and brought up a lot of memories for me. I'm 17 so I dont quite have the old school experience like some of you do. I have played electric football (my dad still had it around), and I never really understood it too much, but I loved designing run plays (I was also 7 so not many things worked). Now for some of the recent kinda old school games (92-00).

Madden 99... possibly my favorite sports game ever. It had its flaws, but me and 3 friends would always play it to death. There was a fantasy draft with all fake teams that we loved, it was a short season like a playoff (16 team I think). I can remember vividly in the Super Bowl we were down by 4 in the closing seconds when I threw a hail mary to my friend John (playing as Jerry Rice). He caught it and spun out 2 defenders to the endzone. IT was 3 in the morning but my god we screamed and cheered, we actually even tackled eachother. Granted that was jr high or elementary, but still. My friend Johns brother who was watching us (he would always watch us play because of our commentary of things and the games were always amazing) even went crazy. Good times.

NHL 94. My god I love that game. Up until buy ESPN Hockey last year, it was my only hockey game, and I played it a lot every year. I don't remember what the appeal of it was as much now, but it was an amazing game.

Tony LeRusa Baseball. I dont remember what year I got this, but it was before 94. This game had for rosters all the old greats, and all the old stadiums. My parents remember that I would write down stats and everything (I was like 5 so this amazed them to no end).

I forget the name of the game, but it was basketball, I think it was NBA Live, but I dont remember if EA had it all the way back then or if it got bought out (I honestly dont know the history of the series at all). But it was from 95, and I would create the whole starting lineup of a team with my friends. I played this game an amazing amount, good times.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #90
Rookie

Jokerace's Arena

OVR: 2

Heh, I am 33. Wow the memories of the original pong, Atari, Colecovison, etc, boy am I getting old.

I also used to do the same thing with Earl Weaver Baseball (even created a bunch of the college teams to use in tournaments, TV sports football & a old game called College basketball replay (it was a really poor graphic game on the commodore 64, but extremely fun to play).

In fact the first time I ever kept standings/records/stats/ for a game was the old handheld football game. I don't knwo if anyone else remembers it, it had just lines as the players, you had ot move up or down to find an opening to run/pass. And as you went down the field you went out one side of the screen and came back on the other, and had to run through the same defenders again. It was chessy as heck, but I loved to play it while on the bus to school when I was in middle school. LOL

One day I might have to check and see if any of the (50-100??) notebooks I used to use to keep stat/records/standings/etc in are packed away in boxes in my parents attic. lol

Last edited by Jokerace; 07-19-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:22 PM   #91
Rookie

ufox1810's Arena

OVR: 4

This could be one of the greatest threads ever.

I have slowly been collecting all of the olds games I used to have. I still curse the fact that I ever traded any old games and systems. So I am now doing my best to collect them all again. Which I guess isn't too bad considering you can get Genesis games for $1 most places.

I just recently found NCAA 2001 to complete the entire EA college football collection. On to Madden now.

There are a few favorites that stick out in my mind as the best sports games I remember playing.

Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo Bowl - NES (To me the Genesis and SNES versions didn't even compare to these 2. These were the ones that started it all.
Super NES Play Action Football - NES (Anyone remember this game? The field was diaganol on the screen.)
Super Tecmo Basketball - NES (First NBA game I remember that kept stats and had full seasons.)
Double Dribble, 10 Yard Fight, Bases Loaded, RBI Baseball, NFL Football, John Elway's QB Club, Ice Hockey, Blades of Steal - Was there any doubt the NES was the greatest system of all time?
NHLPA93 - The second in EA's NHL series is still the best I think. This is the ultimate 2 player game. Who can forget Vince Vaughn playing it in Swingers?
Hardball III - I spent forever editing everyone into the real players.
Front Page Sports Football - Take your pick which version. This game was and still is years ahead of it's time. Someone else already said it, but these games had features that games still don't have.

I'm sure I could come up with tons more. What I want though is re-releases. We get those Namco and Midway discs with like 6 old classic games on them. Why not the original Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo Bowl together again? Or the good ole RBI Baseball games? If only I could find a working NES somewhere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2005, 06:28 PM   #92
lav
Rookie

I couldn't agree with you more. Tecmo Basketball was the last NBA game I really got into. I loved playing as Golden State. Chris Mullen was a machine!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:29 PM   #93
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
Everyone knows that game reeked compared to Bird vs Dr. J
Yeah, I played that one on a Apple II in grade school. Didn't have a Apple at the time to play it much though.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:11 PM   #94
Meatball

OVR:

NHLPA93 - The second in EA's NHL series is still the best I think. This is the ultimate 2 player game. Who can forget Vince Vaughn playing it in Swingers?

YES!!!! YES!!! YES!!! Without a doubt this was the best game ever!!!!!

I remember I got in so much trouble in school cause I would literally pull all nighters playing this game and into the morning and I would be late every time.

When the game had the actual players and then displayed who scored the goal and who assisted......I nearly pissed myself. I am a Blackhawks fan, but I played with St. Louis and Al Macinnis' rocket slapshot!! That dude who tickle the twine from past the red line!! Aw man I miss that game.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 AM   #95
Rookie

TooTall's Arena

Front Page Football was a favorite of mine. Really fun.

Also I can't remember but there was a football and basketball game that I used to play hardcore for my Comidore.

And I loved the theme song to Tecmo Bowl. Straight up amazing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2005, 07:08 AM   #96
Rookie

gajake15's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lav
I couldn't agree with you more. Tecmo Basketball was the last NBA game I really got into. I loved playing as Golden State. Chris Mullen was a machine!
Tecmo NBA basketball was Double Dribble on 'roids at the time. Not everyone knew this, but Pete Chilcutt on the Kings could flat out light it up from the 3-point line. He shot 99% from beyond the arc. One of the game developers must have been a UNC grad or something.

If you haven't already, yall have got to download a NES emulator and NES games so that you can re-live the good 'ol days. You can download an emulator here (take your pick)- http://www.romnation.net/srv/emulators/nes.html
And NES roms (games) here- http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/nes.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »