Home

The good ol' days VS. NCAA 06

This is a discussion on The good ol' days VS. NCAA 06 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2005, 10:50 PM   #49
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: The good ol' days VS. NCAA 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatchild
Never kept stats, but I used to announce all my games. Keep in mind, this was before they had play-by-play instituted...my dream was to be a broadcaster, but I ended up in Sports Administration after it was obvious I didn't exactly have a signature line or a deep voice to go along with my expertise.
LOL, I hate to admit it, but I turn off announcing now and do it myself...

Only being 16, I never experienced the games like Tecmo Bowl and the like...although my Genesis regularly plays World Series Baseball (the Jays are good, and Rob Butler, who I know well is in the game), Bill Walsh's College Football (Go 83 Auburn ), and NHL '94, possibly the best game I've ever played (although it is a bit easy to score with Roenick). I can't understand how a game from 12 years ago had the ability to cut to highlights from different games, yet only 1 game (NFL 2K5) has even come close to that...

EDIT: I forgot another classic game: Hardball III for my old IBM CPU. A couple of years ago, I completely edited every single roster..so now it plays like Hardball III, with 2004 rosters. Awesome game.

Last edited by theaub; 07-19-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:08 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre4vr
I even remember playing the hell out of Micro League baseball on my Commodore 64. My friends and I were pysched when we purchased the expansion stat keeper disk so we could ditch the notebook. Incredible memories. Games were fun. We didn't care that Walter Payton ran for a TD everytime unless you were lucky enough to call the play (even then it was not a given stop).

I grew up on Strat-o-matic baseball. I still do a league (old school, with the board), every winter and early spring. Great times. Games have come a long way.
Good ol' Strat-O-Matic. Great game, especially the "advanced" version.

Games have come so far in the past 20 years. Being 28, I remember playing the likes of Hardball (another C-64 classic--you couldn't stop Tommy Euler's screwball), Ten Yard Fight (barely a game, but I loved it), Lakers vs. Celtics (I thought it was so cool when Chambers dunked from the 3-point line), FPS Baseball '98 (which actually remained my favorite baseball game until this year's MVP), and my favorite, Bill Walsh College Football (Tony Rice running the option for "South Bend '88" was so money), among others. Like others, I too kept my own stats, made up schedules, etc. We just didn't know any better.

So many good memories playing those games. It must have been like what our parents thought about color television---having been there at the beginning and watching everything grow has been pretty cool.

We'll forever associate those games with our youth, and that alone makes them special. Any time I ever think of one of these games, I think of sitting in my room, or in our living room, playing the games with my dad or with friends. The memory of those games hearkens me back to a smipler, more innocent time, and that makes me happy.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:14 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 6

I'm 28 and an NCAA dynasty with my friends has been a stampmark to every fall season up till a couple of years ago. I was OSU and the others were ND and Mich. We played all are games on the schedule against each other switching off. It was crazy we would play till 3-4am on weekdays it was such a blast just hanging out busting ea others balls. We all put $50 in the pot and had payouts for different things.

Now I can't even get these guys online to play?? But I agree those games were more enjoyed for the social aspects of them rather than the realism although NCAA 2002 was a breakthrough game for my genre.

I now play NCAA 06' against the cpu or online leagues to get my fix in. I think the older genre 27+ here tend to analize more on here to bring that social aspect back to our gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #52
Pro

OVR: 7

[quote=ChicagoSparty]
HardballQUOTE]

My brothers and cousin and I used to play the hell out of Hardball on the genesis. And yea that Tom Chambers dunk from the free throw line was sweet. I wish a software company would breath life back in the fps series.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:55 PM   #53
Meatball

OVR:

I remember me and my boys would argue over who would get the 49ers in Super Tecmo Bowl. The loser would always grab Buffalo and the "balanced attack" of Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas.

I forgot who were the other strong teams in that game.

Damn, I wish they would come out with a Super Tecmo Bowl for either the PlayStation of Xbox but with up-to-date graphics. That would be nuts. I would probably lose my job.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:51 AM   #54
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbubs
I remember me and my boys would argue over who would get the 49ers in Super Tecmo Bowl. The loser would always grab Buffalo and the "balanced attack" of Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas.

I forgot who were the other strong teams in that game.
The Giants were the 3rd best, and then it was a big step down for 4th best. The Bears, Raiders, Bengals and Dolphins come to mind. It was not a good time to be a Patriots fan....Marc Wilson and Steve Grogan...Ouch.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:21 AM   #55
Rookie

GaryM05's Arena

OVR: 2

Best. Thread. Ever.

I, too, spent numerous hours with my friends playing through whole seasons of Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl, and like a previous poster, we always argued over who got to be the 49ers. If I remember correctly, they had an un-beatable play where you could pass to Roger Craig in a crossing pattern and complete it every time, even if the opposing player picked that play to defend.

We're so spoiled these days. Thanks to the original poster for putting this into perspective, and helping me remember why I love these games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2005, 01:33 AM   #56
Rookie

OU44's Arena

OVR: 1

I totally agree with you, these games are a drastic improvement over the old games. Hell, I have been playing computer football games since Atari football!! I think the issue is that for people who love the game and for ex-players like myself, you just want to have the most realistic experience that you can have (especially since I have to pay $55). Not only that, EA and other game makers have the capability to give us that experience, they just don't take the time to iron out the glitches before they put their product on the market. I don't care what it is, a game, car, or a good meal at a restaurant.....give me the best that you have. I don't believe that EA is holding up their end of the deal!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Q Dawg.bmp (11.0 KB, 86 views)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »