Home

Do you ever think the CPU just will not let you in?

This is a discussion on Do you ever think the CPU just will not let you in? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
MVP

davin's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Do you ever think the CPU just will not let you in?

Against Michigan State.

There were over 9 turnovers by my team, all at the worst times. I was demolishing them on my opening drive, only for my 93 overall FB to fumble it on the goalline, recovered by MSU. Drew Stanton then proceeded to tear me apart. The turnovers werent like errant throws or anything, it was like my WR would catch it, then make a nice run, and then mysteriously barely get tripped up, but fumbles. MSU beat me by over 50 points. At a point, I just accepted that no comeback was possible (Troy Smith was out for the year, so Zwick really couldnt scramble his way out of a lot of messes, and with Smith gone my running game had become my main strength), so I just started taking knees. It was the worst loss I've had in any video game.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phootball
I get a "feel" of the type of game it will be very early on. I somehow think there are predetermined game types that will play out regardless. Either it will be a struggle, a shootout, a blowout (either for or against). It kind of ruins the experience for me because you feel like you are not in control.

Exactly, its like the control is taken out of your hands and you can pretty much predict the outcome of a drive. Penalties and all.

One thing I've always hated from EA is that they program the cpu to your bottom responses. 3rd and 25 from the 15 yard line.....hey, how'd they know I was gonna run it....to the left side??? Then on defense, they cpu's running success is based off knowing what botton you push. As soon as I press the tackle botton, he jukes at the exact same moment. If I dont press any botton, he knows it and he does'nt juke and proceeds to walk right pass me. If I got the ball and I spin to the outside, they take the perfect angle to shut it down.

I also witness something scary yesterday about the botton presses. I was running up the sideline with my running back and the cpu's LB was pursuing me at an angle. I'm thinking stop juke as soon as he reaches me, I press the botton, he falls for it for a split second and I can see his player JUST start his missed tackle animation....one more split second later, he warps right in front of me and takes me out. I replayed it a few times and I was right. He jumped at my juke but skipped a few dozen animations and floated right in front of me and tackle me out of bounds. Its kinda hard to explain. But I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about.

Another example would be the fake pitch and pump fake bottons. As soon as your press it, you can see a defender being faked out for a split second but he then proceeds to tackle you anyway like that fake never happened.Its like no matter how good you are at the bottons, if the cpu wants to take you out, they will take you out. I cant stand it but its certainly better than the old EA football when the ball or person would just go through a players body.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:13 PM   #11
MVP

unc12003's Arena

OVR: 9

in my UNC dynasty I can't beat Georgia Tech. I play on Heisman and the first year the put up 85 on me but I figured it was just because it was my first game playing on Heisman then the second year I've gotten much better and come into the game after beating 2 ranked teams in a row and they do it again. In the first quarter I threw 4 ints and gave up 42 points. It is unbelieveable. I can beat any other team but when I play GT they dismantle me. What is going on
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2005, 04:46 PM   #12
Pro

Dauminator's Arena

OVR: 5

I have seen this kind of "feel" for a game and am glad it is there. It makes for a very realistic season, I think. I have played one full season and had all manner of games. I had four greatest games, including one where I dominated for most of the game, then got too conservative and needed my own comeback to end up winning. I had a close game with Miami then blew them out in the rematch for the title because everything was going my way. Nothing was going my way against Clemson, who was 2-7 at the time (I was 9-0) and I lost. I dominated Florida statistically everywhere but the scoreboard and barely won, which sometimes happens. I finally had a game go completely wrong when Adrian Peterson tore my defense to ribbons as Oklahoma beat me 31-10 in the Orange Bowl.

If you want proof that a team can get on a roll and trash what appeared to be a superior opponent, look no further than Michigan State's victory over Wisconsin last year. Wiscy was undefeated ranked #4 and MSU was struggling for bowl eligibity, but it was in East Lansing and Sparty got all the breaks. I believe the final was 49-14. Or, Iowa, Big Ten champs and 10-game winner getting trashed in the desert, 44-7. It doesn't make it fun when it happens to you, but I like that it can happen in the game. There are ebbs andd flows to the season and often within the same game. It's a major reason why I'm having more fun with 2006 than with any other NCAA football game.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:53 PM   #13
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Exactly, its like the control is taken out of your hands and you can pretty much predict the outcome of a drive. Penalties and all.

One thing I've always hated from EA is that they program the cpu to your bottom responses. 3rd and 25 from the 15 yard line.....hey, how'd they know I was gonna run it....to the left side??? Then on defense, they cpu's running success is based off knowing what botton you push. As soon as I press the tackle botton, he jukes at the exact same moment. If I dont press any botton, he knows it and he does'nt juke and proceeds to walk right pass me. If I got the ball and I spin to the outside, they take the perfect angle to shut it down.

I also witness something scary yesterday about the botton presses. I was running up the sideline with my running back and the cpu's LB was pursuing me at an angle. I'm thinking stop juke as soon as he reaches me, I press the botton, he falls for it for a split second and I can see his player JUST start his missed tackle animation....one more split second later, he warps right in front of me and takes me out. I replayed it a few times and I was right. He jumped at my juke but skipped a few dozen animations and floated right in front of me and tackle me out of bounds. Its kinda hard to explain. But I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about.

Another example would be the fake pitch and pump fake bottons. As soon as your press it, you can see a defender being faked out for a split second but he then proceeds to tackle you anyway like that fake never happened.Its like no matter how good you are at the bottons, if the cpu wants to take you out, they will take you out. I cant stand it but its certainly better than the old EA football when the ball or person would just go through a players body.
I know exactly what you are talking about with the button-pressing thing and the animations changing in mid-animation so that the CPU can make the play on you.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 07-21-2005, 12:58 PM   #14
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauminator
I have seen this kind of "feel" for a game and am glad it is there. It makes for a very realistic season, I think. I have played one full season and had all manner of games. I had four greatest games, including one where I dominated for most of the game, then got too conservative and needed my own comeback to end up winning. I had a close game with Miami then blew them out in the rematch for the title because everything was going my way. Nothing was going my way against Clemson, who was 2-7 at the time (I was 9-0) and I lost. I dominated Florida statistically everywhere but the scoreboard and barely won, which sometimes happens. I finally had a game go completely wrong when Adrian Peterson tore my defense to ribbons as Oklahoma beat me 31-10 in the Orange Bowl.

If you want proof that a team can get on a roll and trash what appeared to be a superior opponent, look no further than Michigan State's victory over Wisconsin last year. Wiscy was undefeated ranked #4 and MSU was struggling for bowl eligibity, but it was in East Lansing and Sparty got all the breaks. I believe the final was 49-14. Or, Iowa, Big Ten champs and 10-game winner getting trashed in the desert, 44-7. It doesn't make it fun when it happens to you, but I like that it can happen in the game. There are ebbs andd flows to the season and often within the same game. It's a major reason why I'm having more fun with 2006 than with any other NCAA football game.
How does the fact that it seems that some games, you simply cannot win, make for realism? If anything, thats a stacked deck and the opposite of realism.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:53 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 7

Up until my two games last night, I may would have agreed with the title of this thread. My first week with the game definitely had its share of frustrations as I got used to the changes. I had a couple of games where I was getting my *** handed to me in matchups where I didn't expect it.

After numerous slider adjustments, a couple hours on the practice field, and a few of my own mental adjustments, I feel very good about this game. Last night's games:

1. Miami (me) at Oklahoma State. I dismantled OSU 47-7. All the breaks were going my way; turnovers, penalties, big plays, etc.. The CPU OSU team reminded me of myself in the first few games of 2006 I played.

2. UNC (me) at Stanford. Stanford took me out 39-23. I played well and do not feel I was cheated. It was a tight game until a 17 pt 4th quarter by Stanford. It wasn't a cheap or cheesy display, either. They earned those pts and the win.

The one thing that's really stuck out to me with 2006 so far is the Impact player. I don't think they are unstoppable (at least not with the right sliders), but you definitely have to pay attention to them, on offense and defense, and adjust your playcalling accordingly. I think this old sports cliche is very appropriate when it comes to the Impact players in 2006: You can't stop them, but just try to contain them.

The only problem I have with the Impact players is the seemingly random times when they'll get in the zone. I thought they were supposed to get in the zone if they had made a few good plays or maybe in crunch time if they have good composure. Sometimes Brad will say my Impact player is "in the zone" after he's done nothing and it's not a crucial moment in the game. I'm sitting there like, "where the hell did that come from?".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2005, 07:36 PM   #16
L*v* *nd H*n*r t* M**m*

mazhirui's Arena

OVR: 5

In all sports games I've ever played, every once in awhile, I'll come across a game where I realize, "There's no way they're going to let me win this." My friends and I like to refer to it as the "F You" game. Because basically the computer says, "F You" and then pounds you into the ground.

Miami University
Bicentennial, 1809-2009

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »