Home

Don't believe the hype

This is a discussion on Don't believe the hype within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Don't believe the hype

At first I thought EA finally made the cpu ai intelligent and capable of playing a good game without using super ai. Now my opinion has changed after about 20 games. Don't get me wrong, 06 is far superior to any of the other games as far as getting a challenge from the cpu. However, once again, EA has masked flaws with subtle cheats for the cpu (by the way I'm playing on heisman).

My first season, I went 4-9 with Bama. I was frustrated and excited at the same time, since I have never had such a record in previous versions. So I just chalked up to the ai outplaying me. However, after multiple games, I see why I struggle.

1. There is waaay to much pressure. My oline is constantly bull rushed leaving me with 1 second to make a read (not gonna happen). There are even times when the dline runs right by my oline without getting touched. I don't know how or why this happens. The def. ends just murder my line. Bama's line is not the greatest, but when the RE for UL Monroe routinely bull rushes and sacks me, somethings wrong. By the way, pass blocking is maxed out and I keep the RB in the backfield to block (I don't see much else to do, except live with it). This one problem basically destroys my offense productivity.

2. The WR's run routes so slowly and inefficiently that its hard to make quick reads with the defense pressuring you at will. The slants, curls, and hitch routes are horrible. There is no quick breaks whatsoever. If this was just with poor receivers I'd understand. But this issue also ruins the offense. In NCAA 04, the routes were perfect and crisp, then in 05 & 06 EA changes it. I don't understand. On the flip side, however, the cpu WRs run the crisp routes making their passing game very efficient. These are the subtle things that EA throws in that only become apparent after many games. Basically in my opinion, EA has ruined the short passing game which was nearly perfect in 04.

If these issues were addressed, this would be the perfect game for me. I love that the ai actually runs the ball and plays according to the team tendicies, but why must EA make 1 thing better and make 2 other things worse. I'll never understand.

Does anyone else see these problems in their games?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Don't believe the hype

It's a video game, not a real person, they have to do something to make it competitive.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:05 AM   #3
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

If it's that much of a problem, why not change the difficulty level and adjust the sliders before you make a decision. Like UMDDogs said, it's a game, they have to make it it competitive. Ultimately though, making it as realistic as possible is up to you.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 07-21-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
Rookie

I think that this year no major changes were planned or implemented because of the next gen systems but I like how this year my bulls can blow out a 24th ranked UTEP, squeeze by Miami, then go on to get killed by Penn state and Louisville, then survive WVU and Pitt only to lose a nailbitter to cinci.........Man I love this game.It's almost like any given team in any given week either shows up to play or they don't.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
If it's that much of a problem, why not change the difficulty level and adjust the sliders before you make a decision. Like UMDDogs said, it's a game, they have to make it it competitive. Ultimately though, making it as realistic as possible is up to you.

I do believe the guy said he hass pass blocking maxed out. Why is it when someone points out flaws in this game the universal repsonse is " adjust the sliders". Sliders are not always the savior that some people make them out to be. I think 20 games is enough to make an opinion about the game and frankly i agree with everything he said. The CPU Wr's do run crisp routes at full speed while your WR's seem to jog no matter what the overall and/or speed rating is. The only route your Wr's run with any effort is the streak. Don't get me wrong i still play game and will continue to play but the flaws are there and peole need to stop covering up for it by suggesting slider adjustments or " play the game a little more before u form an opinion".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
MVP

ASB37's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Bailey24
I do believe the guy said he hass pass blocking maxed out. Why is it when someone points out flaws in this game the universal repsonse is " adjust the sliders". Sliders are not always the savior that some people make them out to be. I think 20 games is enough to make an opinion about the game and frankly i agree with everything he said. The CPU Wr's do run crisp routes at full speed while your WR's seem to jog no matter what the overall and/or speed rating is. The only route your Wr's run with any effort is the streak. Don't get me wrong i still play game and will continue to play but the flaws are there and peole need to stop covering up for it by suggesting slider adjustments or " play the game a little more before u form an opinion".

I agree i've been tweaking with these sliders since it came out and have finally come to a conclusion. This game sucks. Nothing was fixed from last year, in fact wr's were better last year at cathcing passes. This year the game is terrible I have played 2 games playing around with sliders. My QB threw 9 interceptions in one game and 7 in the other with the pass sliders maxed out, easy catch assist on, and interceptions and awareness turned to 0. Thing is is still won the game. Real realistic EA.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:01 AM   #7
MVP

LetsGo0akland's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASB37
I agree i've been tweaking with these sliders since it came out and have finally come to a conclusion. This game sucks. Nothing was fixed from last year, in fact wr's were better last year at cathcing passes. This year the game is terrible I have played 2 games playing around with sliders. My QB threw 9 interceptions in one game and 7 in the other with the pass sliders maxed out, easy catch assist on, and interceptions and awareness turned to 0. Thing is is still won the game. Real realistic EA.
Two games is not enough in the least bit to find "your sliders." It took me a good 20 games. I do not know how many times I've played UCLA vs. USC, Auburn vs. Alabama, Cal vs. Stanford.

It took some time but I stuck with it and found perfect sliders. I will have nailbiters (Florida 38, Florida State 35) or blow outs (Purdue 59, Indiana 14). I've never seen a game this good in terms of final scores and excitement to the end.

The only problem is that while I still can throw for 300 yards, my completion percentage is like 45% a lot of the time. I do have some games where I go over 50% but its so minor it does not bother me much, I am having too much fun.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:41 AM   #8
Rookie

I'm in no way bashing the game. I was merely pointing out the things I feel EA did to give the false impression of bettering the AI. I still play the game, but it's just hard to understand why a 60 rated DE would continually bullrush a 80 rated olinemen and why EA would take away from the game and claim to make it better. With the cpu having a suped up dline and super secondary makes playing offense very frustating and not fun at times. I do like the new challenge of actually having to play, but limiting what the human can do on offense is not the way to go. JUst my opinion

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »