Home

Passing Strategies for 06

This is a discussion on Passing Strategies for 06 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2005, 02:10 AM   #1
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16
Passing Strategies for 06

I was just wondering what you guys are finding to be the most effective and\or most fun ways to attack the defense through the air. I use a heavy dose of play action with a power running team, but love to "run n shoot" with speed teams and a good quarterback. The one thing I'm hating about this year's game is the ineffectiveness of the mid-range passing game. It's either a bomb, an out, or a screen for the most part. I'd like to know some creative ways you all are attacking the defense through the air.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2005, 04:25 AM   #2

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Passing Strategies for 06

Almost my entire passing game is inermediate, I only go deep when it would make sense in the overall scheme of things, ie. punding the ball down their throat for good yards constantly and then running some play action or like my earlier game I got my wide receiver matched up one on one with their linebacker and he was running a fly pattern, it was beautiful to watch. I will admit that the intermediate passing game is tough at times partly because it seems that the computer plays zone against me nearly every down it seems but Im hoping that will change over time.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
MVP

BengalTiger's Arena

OVR: 11

Something I learned with '05, and has been moderately successful in '06 is looking at the matchups when I come to the line of scrimmage. If I have a WR that is at full confidence going against a rattled CB, I wll almost always go in that direction, either hot routing to a curl route or something like that. Sometimes rattled players will overplay a route like a curl and you can take it for a big gain. Even on running plays, if you have a mismatch in the secondary, audible to a pass and try to abuse the rattled players. I'm currently playing with Auburn in my dynasty and I can only grin when I see Courtney Taylor lined up with a rattled CB.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
Rookie

CrizzleDizzle13's Arena

OVR: 2

I was having some trouble getting off the 10-15 yd passes and taking them for some good YAC, but the thing that helped me more than anything was taking a short drop step and making sure I am COMPLETELY STILL while I throw (don't even touch the analog stick), of course if you are getting sacked don't keep doing this over and over. I mean my passes were 15 times more effective this way than they were if I were to just slightly move a step further back or even moving the analog stick ever so slightly (believe me just a little bit ends up messing up the throw a lot). It seems to me this is combined with people taking too much of a drop step and throwing the ball way too hard is what is causing everyone to do horrible in the passing game. I think the best patterns for beating the zones for me has been where the 1 and 2 receivers both run short posts (the routes that look like a backwards Z almost... you can find them in shotgun 5 wide, ace y-trips, shotgun spread, etc.) Hope this helps as much for you as it did for me.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

In my experience you can forget about getting YAC after completing a pass over the middle. You can complete the pass, but there is always about 3 or 4 guys right there for the tackle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
In my experience you can forget about getting YAC after completing a pass over the middle. You can complete the pass, but there is always about 3 or 4 guys right there for the tackle.
the only way it'd be possible is if a guy was blitzing a few guys on D...then the middle would be more open. Against any sort of zone, good luck with the catch and YAC
Old 07-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
Rookie

mudd's Arena

OVR: 3

heavy dose of play action with a power running game

My Blog and Site

Old 07-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Well I noticed that alot of outs and screens work well, but I'm consistently tryin to make the middle game work. I noticed that if your WR is an impact player, he can catch across the middle almost all the time. Alot of my WRs, even when they are wide open, drop the ball over the middle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »