Home

Can't defend the long bomb 1 on 1......

This is a discussion on Can't defend the long bomb 1 on 1...... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2005, 08:08 PM   #17
Banned

Kentucky3D's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Can't defend the long bomb 1 on 1......

All that you have to do is just press triangle (Y button) a little before the WR is ready to catch the pass and your DB will attempt to swat at it or pick it off. You shouldn't be controlling the DB when you press triangle (Y button). I used to let the CPU complete every long pass before I found out about this method. Now they only complete about 20% of deep passes.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:18 PM   #18
Banned

celtic78's Arena

OVR: 5

what are some good defensive plays to call to combat the lobs???
Old 07-24-2005, 09:13 PM   #19
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHolmoe
As for just letting the CPU control your DB's on bombs, why bother playing at all then? You might as well just sim all your games.

I've had a lot more trouble with the bombs in this game than in previous versions. I used to almost exclusively play the cover 3 switch zone controlling my SS just trying to lay people out in the middle of the field. That doesn't seem as effective anymore. The zone defenses in general are pretty good, but if you play zone and the computer goes deep, there's a good chance it'll be one-on-one against the WR. If you do find yourself in single coverage against the WR on a deep ball, try to run right along side him on the side he's turned to look for the ball at and then swat at the ball. You can be slightly ahead of him as well but if you're too far ahead, he'll just catch it underneath you. I still get beat by the long ball occasionally but not as much as when 2006 came out.
Tomholme,
I play only with LCB on Defense and i don`t play with the rest of the team, i leave them do their job. This is why i recruit high Awareness Players instead of me, doing a 50 awareness player to 99 coz i`m using it...

Each of his own, i don`t understand why you guys keep switching and diving either.. but i don`t judge. I understand you have fun playing that way and i do on my own.

The same will think the original poster i guess.

Back on topic, i belive some people use the 1 on 1 is complete on games as well but you guys don`t releaze that if i have R. Moss on my Team the Opponents`coach will cover double cover him every play... , make zones to counter R.Moss ability and this is what the CPU don`t do on Ncaa videogame, so the result is... Too easy to score deep.

EA has 2 options, or make an amazing AI for the Defense.. or lower the 1 on 1 caches, even if they are realistic...

Sorry for my enlgish but i think you get my point.

An example is, i play with EMU and on AA is not funny to be able to complete 1 of 4 long passes against the CPU, it kills the "challenge" when i`m down on the last quearter and i HAVE to go deep if i want to win. Is like playing a Basketball game with 2 sec on the 4quarter and loosing by 3,you have to go for 3.... Get my point?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:05 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

I control the free safety or strong safety every play and to me I don't get enough bombs.
More than a relief pitcher I’m the closer.
"-Jay Z

"And I'm not cocky I'm confident so when you tell me I'm the best it's a compliment"-Jadakiss

"Flow sicker than the third floor in hospitals"-Lil Wayne
Old 07-24-2005, 10:50 PM   #21
Rookie

TomHolmoe's Arena

OVR: 1

Sorry if I came across as harsh, but my question still remains: if you're just going to control one player on defense-- and a player who will be involved in fewer plays than any other player on the field on top of that -- why not take the next logical step and just sim your games? Let me phrase it slightly differently: on offense, do you choose to control the center for the whole game? How about on punt and kick returns, do you control an interior lineman or an up man and run around trying to block for your computer-controlled returner? When I first started playing football video games, I used to control the DT because I figured screwing up with him would least affect the downfield coverages. While this may be true, it's also quite boring. I'd much rather be the DB who cuts in front of a receiver for the interception than another player who had almost nothing to do with the play at all.

If you feel that you shouldn't be able to complete long bombs, then that's a problem with the AI and the engine being pretty broken for quite a while. Maybe EA will fix it with the next generation of hardware, but I'm not holding my breath. There are plenty of people who share your belief that lobs shouldn't be so easy and they make the choice not to lob it, even if that's the only way they can win the game. I could run the WR-direct if it's 4th and 12 against the computer and I really want to win the game, but I choose not to. Nothing's stopping you from making the same choice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2005, 11:34 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
I dunno dude, a lot of people complain about this, but I really don't have a problem... I just take control of my DB, make sure to stay with the recieve, then hit the swat ball button and just the right time. I used to have the same troubles you are, but it was because I was always trying to intercept everything. Now, I just bat the ball down, and things have been fine. I'd say just keep working at it, you'll get it eventually! Good luck!
Basically what this guy said!!!!!

Favorite Teams:
NBA: New York Knicks
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
MLB: New York Yankees
Old 07-25-2005, 01:05 AM   #23
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHolmoe
Sorry if I came across as harsh, but my question still remains: if you're just going to control one player on defense-- and a player who will be involved in fewer plays than any other player on the field on top of that -- why not take the next logical step and just sim your games? Let me phrase it slightly differently: on offense, do you choose to control the center for the whole game? How about on punt and kick returns, do you control an interior lineman or an up man and run around trying to block for your computer-controlled returner? When I first started playing football video games, I used to control the DT because I figured screwing up with him would least affect the downfield coverages. While this may be true, it's also quite boring. I'd much rather be the DB who cuts in front of a receiver for the interception than another player who had almost nothing to do with the play at all.

If you feel that you shouldn't be able to complete long bombs, then that's a problem with the AI and the engine being pretty broken for quite a while. Maybe EA will fix it with the next generation of hardware, but I'm not holding my breath. There are plenty of people who share your belief that lobs shouldn't be so easy and they make the choice not to lob it, even if that's the only way they can win the game. I could run the WR-direct if it's 4th and 12 against the computer and I really want to win the game, but I choose not to. Nothing's stopping you from making the same choice.
I don`t lob the pass to win a game but unfortunly there are some times you have to go deep... period.

About simming, well, i love to play this way, i like to feel i`m part of a TEAM and not that i`m plaing Tennis or something.

The last time i played football i had control of myself only i didn`t control my teamates..

We have differents aproach to the game... you like to control 11 players on the field, i like to control only 1 player on the field. I like the LCB to be "my stats".

We can be all day long with this. Both ways are acceptable... i play my own way you play your own.

I don`t find funny to play your way and you don`t find funy my own... simple as that.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:28 AM   #24
MVP

LetsGo0akland's Arena

OVR: 13

I was just trying to explain that this is not the NFL. Scores tend to be much higher because of less talent on the field. Big plays happen more often in college. I give up less than one bomb a game. They do get decent pass lengths but not over my CB for a TD. My stats come out very realistic and the scores are right on. I have no complaints. Just trying to explain something to you guys.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »