Home

Why aren't late hits in the game?

This is a discussion on Why aren't late hits in the game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #17
Banned

Kentucky3D's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Why aren't late hits in the game?

Late hits were in NCAA 96.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Back in the day, I had a buddy who's entire defensive strategy involved late-hitting my skill players (especially my qb) until he hurt somebody. Personally, I'm glad those days are a memory.

I know what you mean, there's a definite upside to the way it is now. I had a friend who for some reason thought it hilarious to crush players way after every play and the would get mad at you if you accepted the penalty because "I was just messin around"

http://www.capsblueline.com
Old 07-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #19
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG
It looks like you guys don't remember the mid to late 90s games, where you could literaly hit players from the time the whistle blew until you went back to your huddle. You'd also occasionally get called for a personal foul because of it.

The NFL and NCAA didn't like this feature, so they made EA remove it. Just like the NCAA made EA remove the tearing down of the goalposts and other various features.
Man, I used to LOVE that feature. I had it timed where I could deliver the late hit right before the screen was about to change so that I wouldn't get penalized.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 07-27-2005, 09:34 PM   #20
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

I think a few years back the NFLPA told EA to stop doing this because it would have to have a game with a higher rating i.e. E for everyone instead would have to be T for teen. Overall I assume EA then responded by taking this out of all the games, in order to make the sport of football seem "clean"
Old 07-27-2005, 09:42 PM   #21
MVP

EXboxur's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG
It looks like you guys don't remember the mid to late 90s games, where you could literaly hit players from the time the whistle blew until you went back to your huddle. You'd also occasionally get called for a personal foul because of it.

The NFL and NCAA didn't like this feature, so they made EA remove it. Just like the NCAA made EA remove the tearing down of the goalposts and other various features.
No, I'm not forgetting those days ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXboxur
...I don't think I've seen a late hit in any football game for years. I remember one of the old Maddens had it. It's such a HUGE part of QB play, especially with a scrambler,....

I can't wait for the day my QB gets hurt trying to step out of bounds on an option play off of a late hit. ...
If the reason that late hits aren't in the game is because the NCAA truly "didn't like this feature," then their logic makes no sense, because now you can late hit people without ANY consequence. I think letting you get away scot-free with late hits is even worse. You would think that players getting into trouble off the field and having to discipline them would be more of a taboo thing to have in a game, than a simple late hit.

I mean there is a risk/reward factor at play when tiptoeing along the sidelines. The risk being you're more vulnerable if you dance along the sideline a second too long and a defender catches you off guard (whether it be a late hit or a legit hit) and you're more vulnerable to get hurt or lose some composure from a Big Hit as a result. The reward being that you can step out of bounds and avoid the contact, just like in REAL football. A defender must exercise caution along the sideline, just as in REAL football. Discipline is a HUGE part of football, right?

The reason people used to be able to totally cheese on the late hits in Madden, was because there was so much time AFTER the play was dead, when you could just walk up and crush fools. I'm NOT looking for that. What I want to see happen is having this call be made primarily along the sidelines, and having the defender be given a warning (optional), depending on the severity and lateness of the hit. So I don't think you'd really want to use the Big Hit stick along the sideline too much.

Besides, they could program it so the odds of you getting hurt after a late hit would be slim; focusing more on a loss of composure, or even a gain in composure, depending on the player. Sometimes late hits fire up a competitive QB and make him focus on the game 10 times more, and other times it will make him think twice before scrambling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2005, 10:06 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXboxur
No, I'm not forgetting those days ...

If the reason that late hits aren't in the game is because the NCAA truly "didn't like this feature," then their logic makes no sense, because now you can late hit people without ANY consequence. I think letting you get away scot-free with late hits is even worse. You would think that players getting into trouble off the field and having to discipline them would be more of a taboo thing to have in a game, than a simple late hit.
Are you sure you can actually hit people after the play in the game, I know you can dive at them but unless its the QB or Kicker I have never seen the player hit respond.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:25 PM   #23
MVP

EXboxur's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsman22
Are you sure you can actually hit people after the play in the game, I know you can dive at them but unless its the QB or Kicker I have never seen the player hit respond.
I use a scrambling QB and I've been along the sideline, stepped out and been tackled about 5 additional yards out of bounds. Occasionally the game will do what you said, where they'll dive at my QB, but not make contact. Usually this happens when I step out a yard or so ahead of time, but MOST of the time that's not the case. And I'll even admit that sometimes I get what's coming to me, where I wait a second too long and I'm still in bounds and get pulled out of bounds with a tackle, but usually that's NOT the case. Usually it IS a late hit. I've played many people online that can also attest to what I'm saying.

You really can't hit people late in the middle of the field in this game.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #24
MVP

DGuinta1's Arena

OVR: 29

Even with Penalties turned all the way up, NEVER see a pass interference. Oh well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »