Home

so whats the secret....

This is a discussion on so whats the secret.... within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Mar 2003
so whats the secret....

to stopping the one on one deep ball this year. my "stick skills" are coming around slowly to the new controller config. but i'm getting flippin' lit up in one on one situations in the passing game. last year i would drill the reciever with the big hit button as the ball arrived. thats not an option this year.

i don't know what the conservative defensive play on the ball is this year. is it swat? is it x? strafe and disrupt the pattern? right analog (seems to be terribly delayed)? how 'bout the white button(strip) ?

Last edited by stabmasterb; 07-28-2005 at 09:55 AM. Reason: gave me a headache to read it
stabmasterb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
Stayin Alive
 
GAMEC0CK2002's Arena
 
OVR: 23
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 10,372
Blog Entries: 1
Re: so whats the secret....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabmasterb
to stopping the one on one deep ball this year. my "stick skills" are coming around slowly to the new controller config. but i'm getting flippin' lit up in one on one situations in the passing game. last year i would drill the reciever with the big hit button as the ball arrived. thats not an option this year.

i don't know what the conservative defensive play on the ball is this year. is it swat? is it x? strafe and disrupt the pattern? right analog (seems to be terribly delayed)? how 'bout the white button(strip) ?
Play more Cover 2 or Cover 3 and keep your safeties back. Don't go for a pick unless the ball is severly over or underthrown and you're the only person that has a play on the ball. If the WR has a chance at it you're better off swatting it down. Another thing that you can do is slow the receiver up in his route if you're ahead of him. Even with the defensive PI maxed out I've only gotten flagged twice during the first year of my dynasty. And this is college football so it's definitely better to risk the penalty and lay out or impede the WR than it is to give up the easy TD. I recommend playing as the safety at all times b/c even with good AI teammates, they get fooled easily by the PA pass and it's near impossible to catch up once the WR gets 2 steps on you (especially if you're in man coverage). Hope this helps.
GAMEC0CK2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
MVP
 
BezO's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Jul 2004
Re: so whats the secret....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
Another thing that you can do is slow the receiver up in his route if you're ahead of him. Even with the defensive PI maxed out I've only gotten flagged twice during the first year of my dynasty.
I use this technique when I can. It's effective, but I get called for PI more often then you do. I too have PI maxed out.
__________________
Shout out to The Watcher! Where you at bruh?
BezO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
MVP
 
bgeno's Arena
 
OVR: 18
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: G-Vegas
Re: so whats the secret....

I like to stay in cover 2 man most of the game. Probably 70% of the time I'm just just in a cover 2 man. It gets kind of monotonous and a human opponent can figure out how to beat it fairly easily, but it seemed to do the trick agains the computer.

I do throw some zone in there every once in a while, especially as the computer gets closer to the goal-line. And when blitzing, I typically mix it up between man and zone coverage fairly evenly.


When physically defending the pass, it's a timing game, and a hard one at that. I still have some troubles, but, for the most part, I've gotten the timing down. I use the swat button(L on xbox) and just hope my defender jumps high enough and in the right spot.
bgeno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
L*v* *nd H*n*r t* M**m*
 
mazhirui's Arena
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 577
Re: so whats the secret....

I think I play cover 2 even more than 70% and actually have not been getting beaten deeply at all recently. About 2/3 of the time they throw deep, the safety is able to come over and help, and one of the two defenders gets their hands on it to knock it down. I've been pretty happy with the slider settings, thanks to Jistic.
__________________
****************************************
Miami was a university when Florida belonged to Spain!

Miami University
Bicentennial, 1809-2009
mazhirui is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
Rookie
 
halltheway's Arena
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Nov 2004
Re: so whats the secret....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazhirui
I think I play cover 2 even more than 70% and actually have not been getting beaten deeply at all recently. About 2/3 of the time they throw deep, the safety is able to come over and help, and one of the two defenders gets their hands on it to knock it down. I've been pretty happy with the slider settings, thanks to Jistic.
Cover is great but it puts a lot of pressure on your safties. If they are not that good you may want to employ a cover 3 or even better a cover 3 switch. That will send your corners back deep. Of course this is a moot point if you go man cover 2.
halltheway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Mar 2003
Re: so whats the secret....

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltheway
Cover is great but it puts a lot of pressure on your safties. If they are not that good you may want to employ a cover 3 or even better a cover 3 switch. That will send your corners back deep. Of course this is a moot point if you go man cover 2.
thanks guys... i do fine when my corners have help over the top (cover two).however i seem to be having trouble shutting down the vince young/marcus vick , hb direct, shotgun option, scramble run hurry-up attack while running a cover two.
stabmasterb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:41 PM   #8
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win
 
trobinson97's Arena
 
OVR: 44
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lowcountry
Posts: 16,318
Blog Entries: 5
Re: so whats the secret....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabmasterb
thanks guys... i do fine when my corners have help over the top (cover two).however i seem to be having trouble shutting down the vince young/marcus vick , hb direct, shotgun option, scramble run hurry-up attack while running a cover two.
Then take over your middle linebacker and personally make sure those scrambling qb's don't get outta hand. If they decide to run, make sure they think twice about doing so next time. I had to take things in my own hands playing a scrambling qb. What I like to do is, press L1 (line audible) and down on right anolog. This makes all the lineman go straight toward the qb, his only option as far as running is to hit the side. I've noticed he cpu usually runs to it's right, so I just strafe with the middle linebacker in relation to the qb's position in the backfield. Whenever he heads towards the sidleine, I am shadowing him. A lot of times it seems this really confuses the cpu and he ends up not throwing, which results in a sack for my d-line or a tackle for my mlb on a short yardage run for the qb.
__________________
PS: You guys are great.

SteamID - Depotboy



...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017....
What a run
Roll Tide




trobinson97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 AM.

Top -