Home

Defending pass and long ball

This is a discussion on Defending pass and long ball within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
Rookie

i8kevin's Arena

OVR: 5
Defending pass and long ball

I know I've seen a lotta people talking bout cpu and their "skill" of completing the Long passes. Well I have also been rather tired of it until i started using the coverage audibles which seem to help alot, I've really only been using bump coverage (pressing triangle, then down. for ps2 users that don't know what i am talking bout). I also use alot of cover 2 man defense out of 4-3, nickel, nickel and dime. It seems the bump coverage holds the wideouts up just long enough to give my Dline time to put some pressure on the QB. The wideouts dont really have time to sprint 60 yards down field. I dont know this may not be helpful to anyone but it seems to help me defend the deep passes alot better, give it a shot if you'd like
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Defending pass and long ball

the best thing ive found to stop the deep ball is just to get physical with the WR while the ball is in the air, on default sliders you usually get away with it. I just get infront of the wr and slow up
Old 08-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

do like me and learn to swat instead of int'ing everything...i still have a tendency to go for the int but i'm trying to learn to swat and it seems to help a LOT more to stop those deep balls

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-05-2005, 01:45 AM   #4
Rookie

TomHolmoe's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8kevin
I know I've seen a lotta people talking bout cpu and their "skill" of completing the Long passes. Well I have also been rather tired of it until i started using the coverage audibles which seem to help alot, I've really only been using bump coverage (pressing triangle, then down. for ps2 users that don't know what i am talking bout). I also use alot of cover 2 man defense out of 4-3, nickel, nickel and dime. It seems the bump coverage holds the wideouts up just long enough to give my Dline time to put some pressure on the QB. The wideouts dont really have time to sprint 60 yards down field. I dont know this may not be helpful to anyone but it seems to help me defend the deep passes alot better, give it a shot if you'd like
Cover 2 man out of the 4-3, nickel, and dime are pretty much the only defensive plays I've been using. Crashing the d-line towards the strong side of the formation and spying the weak side end does a pretty good job of stopping outside runs, but I do get burned for 15 by the occasional run straight up the gut. Cover 2 man and controlling one of the safeties means you get two defenders on the wr going deep, and going for the swat instead of the pick in tight coverage has really cut down on how many bombs the cpu completes on me. I only go for picks with my safety on the balls that are severely over thrown by the qb either due to the pressure or the press coverage by my corners.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:08 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 1

None of you are very good at this game obviously. Here's the results of a test me and a buddy ran today online for the deep ball. Played an unranked game, great defenses in Oklahoma and Ohio State.

49-42 Final I threw 11 ints, he threw 9 ints. (NO BLITZES CALLED)

^^^^that should tell you that it can be defended without blitzing. Here's what I found, as I was also teaching him what to do.

1.) You DO NOT need to try and swat passes, and we found this results in volleyballs in the air, in favor of the WR's 90% of the times. Take your Safety, either one, and when the ball is snapped, run backwards to stay behind the play. When the ball is launched deep, get to the spot by not doing ANYTHING. If you are too far away, speed sprint to the circle.The computer will get there, or at least very close then you act fast. 2 choices, either bump the WR off the route allowing the other DB to go for the int, or simply press triangle yourself. Bumping the WR is best as 75% of the times it won't be called for pass interference. NOTE: You MUST press triangle repeatedly BEFORE the WR gets to the circle or he'll user catch you still.

2.) If the opponent isn't scrambling all day, call a play, and the computer will run it for you getting pressure on the QB. This was so funny watching cpu controlled D-lineman getting to the QB's with ease.

3.) I put the controller down on defense 3 times, resulting in 3 ints, and 1 TD against me. Great results if you ask me. Cheesy, but aye, it's how this game wants to be played.

I guarantee, along with some strong blitzes, that if you call the 4-3 Cover 2, (which is ridiculous that it can defend almost all pass plays) you should be awesome against the deep ball cheese. The 3-3-5 is pretty good against runs and options. Outside Sweeps are a terror still on this gm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #6
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgcityClev
None of you are very good at this game obviously.
Obviously. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:47 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Try using Playmakers sliders, they work great
Old 08-05-2005, 10:52 AM   #8

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgcityClev
None of you are very good at this game obviously. Here's the results of a test me and a buddy ran today online for the deep ball. Played an unranked game, great defenses in Oklahoma and Ohio State.

49-42 Final I threw 11 ints, he threw 9 ints. (NO BLITZES CALLED)

^^^^that should tell you that it can be defended without blitzing. Here's what I found, as I was also teaching him what to do.

1.) You DO NOT need to try and swat passes, and we found this results in volleyballs in the air, in favor of the WR's 90% of the times. Take your Safety, either one, and when the ball is snapped, run backwards to stay behind the play. When the ball is launched deep, get to the spot by not doing ANYTHING. If you are too far away, speed sprint to the circle.The computer will get there, or at least very close then you act fast. 2 choices, either bump the WR off the route allowing the other DB to go for the int, or simply press triangle yourself. Bumping the WR is best as 75% of the times it won't be called for pass interference. NOTE: You MUST press triangle repeatedly BEFORE the WR gets to the circle or he'll user catch you still.

2.) If the opponent isn't scrambling all day, call a play, and the computer will run it for you getting pressure on the QB. This was so funny watching cpu controlled D-lineman getting to the QB's with ease.

3.) I put the controller down on defense 3 times, resulting in 3 ints, and 1 TD against me. Great results if you ask me. Cheesy, but aye, it's how this game wants to be played.

I guarantee, along with some strong blitzes, that if you call the 4-3 Cover 2, (which is ridiculous that it can defend almost all pass plays) you should be awesome against the deep ball cheese. The 3-3-5 is pretty good against runs and options. Outside Sweeps are a terror still on this gm.
I find it slightly humorous that you claim none of us are good at this game but yet your idea for stopping the deep ball is basically commit pass interference on every deep play but dont be really blatant about it so that it wont be called. I can stop the deep ball just fine and I dont control anyone in the secondary, I find that by using the cover 3 whenever you think they may be going deep really helps, it makes it much easier for them to stop the pass if they are ahead of the play and can judge the pass and react accordingly, I will occasionally get burned but that only happens maybe once every 2-3 games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »