Home

Defending the Pass?

This is a discussion on Defending the Pass? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Defending the Pass?

What are some good plays for defending the pass, I am pretty good at stopping the run but they kill me on passing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Rookie

Razorbacker's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Defending the Pass?

I can only give advice playing vs. the cpu. I don't play online, so this might be work vs. humans.

You can blitz... there are good zone blitzes out of the 4-3 where the two OLBs both go for the QB, or you can defend.

If you choose to defend, here's what I do: If the offense has 3 or 4 WR I go nickle or dime, depending on my mood. Use man, 2 deep and play bump and run with the corners.

I would suggest putting a fast OLB at end in the dime and a faster player at MLB.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

If you've got good safeties, don't be afraid to play cover 2 (or 3) zone and let them make plays down the field. Its also a good idea to play more zone if your corners suck. Blitzing can be very effective in helping to stop the run as well as get to the QB if your def line isn't getting there but beware of the deep ball with too many 1-1 situations. Sometimes the CPU just goes off on me passing so don't be afraid to try different things on defense: man-to-man, blitzing or zones to see what might work. Make sure you have enough corners in to defend their WRs. I don't double much but you don't want their impact WR to go nuts either.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I don't know what team the original poster is using, but in my experience I've had a lot of success with double teaming. In my current dynasty, with San Diego State, they have one pretty good corner to start (Eliminian or something like that) but after that they're pretty crappy. In my second year with the good corner gone I played USC and after getting burnt by Jarrett and McFoy I decided to just play 3-3-5 double outs almost anytime they were playing with four receivers. For it to work, you put in extra corners as line backers (as many as you need to cover all the receivers) and you'll be in very good position to stop them.

Of course, if you do this, you become easier to run against. LenDale White (Bush left early, surprise surprise) went for over 150 against me, but I did hold Booty to just over 200 yards passing and forced 3 interceptions on the way to a huge upset.

If they're just lining up with two receivers then just play from the nickel and and play double outs. That leaves you with 7 guys to potentially stop the run, with the third corner basically acting as a smaller quicker linebacker.

If you have a good secondary, you can probably try to blitz more and get pressure on the quarterback, forcing him to make throws he may not want to. That puts your corners in 1-1 if he does get off a throw early, but you do have a good chance of forcing a turnover.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
Banned

Kentucky3D's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodd60504
What are some good plays for defending the pass, I am pretty good at stopping the run but they kill me on passing.
3-4 cover 3 is great at stopping the pass against human players. Especially if you have an impact LB blitzing.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »