Home

Stop running QB!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Stop running QB!!!!!!!!!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Stop running QB!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
I, or most other people, would be able to beat that strategy very easily.

I like to mix up all defenses and have outside linebackers, DEs, or strong safties(in 3-3-5 and 4-2-5) as spies. I mix it up a lot. Even throw in some blitzes every now and then.

My friend used Texas once. I usually beat him, but he's gotten me a few times. Even with Vince Young he couldn't do anything because I almost completely shut down his QB run after the first quarter by mixing up my defensive looks and stuff.
i was referring to playing the computer (hence the "they usually run to the right")

i didnt notice that he was looking for strategies to use against human players.

Using cover 3 in the 4-3 on heisman (sliders FOR the comp) i was able to get 20 ints with my freshman middle linebacker. Its a great defense if you like being the middle linebacker.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

OVR: 8

I would mix it up as well, the thing is to give a ton of different looks so they can't get in a rythm. I would also put a lot of speed on the field to combat the scramble, so if you don't have fast LB's, play a 3-3-5, 4-2-5, nickel, or dime and mix it up a lot. I use a lot of zone blitzes (as a side note, use Zone Blitzes that leave you with 3 guys over the top and 3 underneath ala Ohio St. in real life, it will help to minimize big plays) a lot of spy's and mix in a max zone every now and then on third and long. I would also set up your audibles to give them diferent looks pre-snap. I would pick two ( I go with 3-3 and 4-2-5 usually) different formations and have two plays each out of them. I usually set a blitz coming from the right and left in each defence (one formation on X & B (square & circle) and one on L & R, I then usually put a regular spy on my A (X) button. I usually control the MLB and here are some plays that I use that seem to be sucessful...

4-3
Double DE Spy - Use if the other guy isn't even bothering to run the ball traditionally (with a RB), widen your DE's out and control the MLB
Dog Gold - Use the MLB and run to the football, your other guys are playing man, so you don't give up any coverage
Crash Gold - Use the LB who is blitzing and run to the football, your other guys are playing man, so you don't give up any coverage
Hulk 3 - Blitz the CB to the side you think he will scramble
Spy Gold - Run around with the MLB
Dog 3 - Use the MLB and run to the football, your other guys are playing zone, so you don't give up any coverage
Monster 3 - Blitz to the side you think he will scramble and shift the D-line away fom the side you think he will scramble, control Blitzing LBer to side you are blitzing
Spy 3 - Use the MLB and run to the football, your other guys are playing zone, so you don't give up any coverage
Dbl Safety Spy - Use only if the QB is really killing you running the ball, or in short yardage, the safeties can usually run with the QB, but you give up deep coverage.

3-4
Cover 2 Man - Use the MLB who is in zone and run to the football, everyone else is in man
Spy Gold - Use the MLB who is spying and run to the football, Blitz the OLB who is blitzing to the side you think he will scramble
Cover 3 - A conservative call, but still effective if you blitz the LBer to the side he scrambles to
Double DE Spy - Use if the other guy isn't even bothering to run the ball, widen your DE's out and control the MLB
Spy 3 - Use the MLB and run to the football, your other guys are playing zone, so you don't give up any coverage, plus you get an OLB blitzing
Crash Gold - Both OLB blitz, if you have good enough stick control control the MLB and mirror the QB's movement
Cover 3 Max - Max Coverage with 3 deep over the top, good on third in long when you want to keep everything in front
Dbl Safety Spy - A little safer than the 4-3 version because of the MLB over the top, but still keep it to short yardage
Dog Gold - Blitz the OLB to the side you think he'll scramble, control the MLB who is blitzing and run to the football
Cover 1 - Control the MLB who is playing zone and run to the football, OLB blitz is a plus on this play
Spy 2 Man - Use the MLB who is in a spy and run to the football, everyone else is in man
Hulk 3 - Blitz the CB to the side you think he will scramble, control the MLB who is blitzing and run to the football
Double MLB Spy - Control one of the spying MLB and run to the football

Nickel
Dog Gold - Use the LB who is blitzing and run to the football, your other guys are playing man, so you don't give up any coverage
Crash Gold - Use the DB who is blitzing and run to the football, your other guys are playing man, so you don't give up any coverage
Hulk 3 - Blitz the CB to the side you think he will scramble, control DE on other side who is in coverage and run to the football bc u don't need him in coverage. I lik ethis play a lot because it usuall trick the QB into scrambling away from your DE, and right into your blitzing corner
Double LB Spy - Use only if the QB is really killing you running the ball, or in short yardage, the LB's can usually run with the QB, but you give up deep coverage.
Crash 3 - Blitz to the side you think he will scramble and shift the D-line away fom the side you think he will scramble, control Blitzing LBer to side you are blitzing, once again, can trick the QB into scrambling away from your line shift and running right into your two blitzers
Dbl Safety Spy - Use only if the QB is really killing you running the ball, or in short yardage, the safeties can usually run with the QB, but you give up deep coverage.
Max Zone - Puts your DE out in space, good against scrambling, they will usually try and force it into 9 guys and coverage which results in a knock down or INT, good in red zone because there is less area to cover and you only have 2 over the top
Cover 1 - Control the MLB who is playing zone and run to the football
Double DE Spy - Use if the other guy isn't even bothering to run the ball traditionally (with a RB), widen your DE's out and control the MLB

Dime
Dogs Zone Blitz - A good Blitz if you aren't afraid to give up the deep ball some - High risk/high reward, be the MLB and run to the ball
Cover 1 - Control the MLB who is playing zone and run to the football
Double DB Spy - Use only if the QB is really killing you running the ball, or in short yardage, the safeties can usually run with the QB, but you give up deep coverage.
Crash Gold - Use the DB who is blitzing and run to the football, your other guys are playing man, so you don't give up any coverage
Double DE Spy - Use if the other guy isn't even bothering to run the ball, widen your DE's out and control the MLB
Monster 3 - Blitz to the side you think he will scramble and shift the D-line away fom the side you think he will scramble, control Blitzing LBer, once again, can trick the QB into scrambling away from your line shift and running right into your two blitzers
Dog 3 - Use the MLB and run to the football, your other guys are playing zone, so you don't give up any coverage
Max Zone - Puts your DE out in space, good against scrambling, they will usually try and force it into 9 guys and coverage which results in a knock down or INT, good in red zone because there is less area to cover and you only have 2 over the top
Dog Gold - Use the LB who is blitzing and run to the football, your other guys are playing man, so you don't give up any coverage

4-4
Cover 1 - Control the MLB who is blitzing and run to the football
Dog 3 - Use the MLB who is blitzing and run to the football, your other guys are playing zone, so you don't give up any coverage
Dogs Zone Blitz - Great Blitz, use one of the MLB's and run to the football
Crash Gold - Use the LB who is blitzing and run to the football, your other guys are playing man, so you don't give up any coverage
Double DE Spy - control the MLB and run to the football while the rest of your D plays zone
Lightning Gold - Use the LB who is blitzing and run to the football, your other guys are playing man, so you don't give up any coverage
Double OLB Spy - Great play use one of the spys and let the rest of your guys play zone

5-2
Monster 3 - Blitz to the side you think he will scramble and shift the D-line away fom the side you think he will scramble, control Blitzing LBer, once again, can trick the QB into scrambling away from your line shift and running right into your two blitzers, careful though as you only have 2 guys underneath
Double DE Spy - control one of the DE and run to the football while the rest of your D plays man
Cover 3 - 5 man rush with 3 under/3 over, widen out your d-line
Double LB Spy - Great play use one of the spys and let the rest of your guys play zone - widen out D-line
Safety Spy - Use only if the QB is really killing you running the ball, or in short yardage, the safeties can usually run with the QB, but you give up deep coverage.

3-3-5 Stack
Cover 1 - Control the LB who is blitzing and run to the football
SS Dogs - Both SS come, can keep the QB inside
CB Blitz - Both CB blitz, but zone over top so you don't sacrafice coverage, can confuse QB
Double X - Use LB who is in zone and run to the football, use if an outside reciever is beating you
Double Z - Use LB who is in zone and run to the football, use if an outside reciever is beating you
Double DE Spy - control the MLB and run to the football while the rest of your D plays man
CB Heat - Control blitzing LB and show your coming, can force QB to scramble other way, right into your blitzing corner
Crash 3 - Blitz to the side you think he will scramble and shift the D-line away fom the side you think he will scramble, control Blitzing LBer to side you are blitzing, once again, can trick the QB into scrambling away from your line shift and running right into your two blitzers
FS Spy - Control FS and run to the ball
Dog Gold - Control one of the LB's and run to the ball
SS Zone Blitz - Both SS blitz, but zone over top so you don't sacrafice coverage, can confuse QB, use MLB and run to ball
OLB Double Spy - control one of the LB who is spying and run to the football while the rest of your D plays man
OLB Fire - control one of the LB who is blitzing and run to the football while the rest of your D plays man
SS Double Spy - control one of the SS who is spying and run to the football while the rest of your D plays man
Pinch Blitz - Control one of the Blitzing LBers, make sure to widen out your D-line
Zone Blitz - Control one of the Blitzing OLB, can trick QB into running other way into more blitzers

4-2-5
Cover 1 - Control the LB who is blitzing and run to the football
CB Blitz - control Blitzing CB and show it early so he scrambles other way, once again, can trick the QB into scrambling away from you and running right into your other blitzers, careful though as you only have 2 guys underneath
LB Double Spy - Use only if the QB is really killing you running the ball, or in short yardage, you give up deep coverage.
FS Spy - Control FS and run to the ball
Max Zone - Puts your DE out in space, good against scrambling, they will usually try and force it into 9 guys and coverage which results in a knock down or INT, best max zone because you have 3 guys over the top instead of 2
MLB Spy - Run around with the MLB
SS Double Spy - control one of the SS who is spying and run to the football while the rest of your D plays man
OLB Fire - Use the OLB and run to the football, your other guys are playing man, so you don't give up any coverage
Double DE Spy - control the MLB and run to the football while the rest of your D plays man
Dogs Zone Blitz - Both SS blitz, but zone over top so you don't sacrafice coverage, can confuse QB, use MLB and run to ball
Spy 3 Blitz - PLay as spying MLB and run to the ball

And down on the Goaline
CB Blitz and Man Lock

Remember, mix up your looks and try to get the scrambler to work to your advantage, the fact that he is scrambling makes him scared to run regular stuff, so if you confuse him, then he'll start to force things and make mistakes

Last edited by southside_hitmen; 01-25-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

Has anyone here ever had problems stopping the CPU QB from scrambling/option? I play on AA and Heisman and the CPU QB if he is VY cannot run for anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23
Has anyone here ever had problems stopping the CPU QB from scrambling/option? I play on AA and Heisman and the CPU QB if he is VY cannot run for anything.
Yeah, I've never really had the problem against the CPU, just human players. If you have trouble with humans scrambling, take a look at post 9, I have a pretty comprehensive guide ot stopping the scramble there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »