Home

Why has NCAA been the best football game in the past four years?

This is a discussion on Why has NCAA been the best football game in the past four years? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Why has NCAA been the best football game in the past four years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
NCAA 2006 was an enjoyable game to me. I absolutely love it's control scheme; it allowed for so much creativity and felt really right in terms of playing the "skill" positions. It's messed up that it's so hampered by the front 7 play inherent in the Madden engines (and as someone else noted, the middle of the field is usually open).

2k5 is still amazing to me though - if only because of the feature list. It's like they threw the kitchen sink AND the plumbing into the game, AND it had a short turnaround in terms of development time (2k4 came out in late Sept/early Oct of 2003, 2k5 released a week after NCAA the following year in July I think). Online leagues WITH full individual online stat tracking in an ESPN.com-like interface? New Passing system, new juke system, better OL/DL interaction/better tackling (no game has the level of player interaction 2K has/had), FPF... The list goes on and on. Many of things they accomplished two years ago still haven't even been attempted.

Those two sit alone at the top of the list. I thought Madden 2006 for current gen was actually pretty good because they did a really good job with the playbooks and team tendencies. But it plays so freaking sluggish and player interaction is horrible

for the 3689487373 time
Co-sign
Old 04-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I don't think NCAA has been the best football game any year since its debut on the PS2. Until EA can get player interaction correct, their games will always be boring in my book.
I agree that the player interaction and the overall presentation is below that of 2K5. I have played Madden 06, NCAA 06, and NFL 2K5 relentlessly, and have found that the best overall gameplay belongs to NCAA 06. 2K5 will probably be better than Madden 07, thru Madden 2012. The hard to swollow truth is that 2K5 has everything from a halftime show to weekly highlights. EA has no excuse why they are unable to match the quality that 2K5 showed us. Being a former defensive back, 2K5 is the only game to capture the very important; inside and outside coverage adjustment. Why EA has not implemented that feature is beyond my comprehension. 2K5 has earned the right to coin the phrase "if its in the game.."

Yes, I agree that 2K5 has the best football experience hands down, but the most competitive and realistic feel has to go to NCAA 2006. Case and point:

1) You can run back punts and kickoffs
2) You can adjust sliders to actually have a pass-rush
3) You can adjust QB accuracy and actually see some realism
4) Computer running backs are very good (once you adjust sliders)
5) Computer QB's will pick you apart if you give them enough time
6) Try and go undefeated on Heisman with "realistic sliders", with a bad team.
Just my opinion.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #19
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

The NCAA series is the best football game for one reason: ATOMSHPERE.

You would think madden would do something in this department. BUT NO!

Not to mention the controls in the NCAA series blow 2k out of the water. It isnt even close.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #20
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I want to know why people think the ncaa series has been so great when it iws plagued with just as many problems as madden.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #21

jmood88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF11

Not to mention the controls in the NCAA series blow 2k out of the water. It isnt even close.
How?

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2006, 10:04 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I want to know why people think the ncaa series has been so great when it iws plagued with just as many problems as madden.
It's an opinion that you aren't going to change. I enjoy NCAA because it's actually exciting on every play. Any play can be a pick 6, a fumble, a break away run, a 65 speed QB scramble for 50 yards, or a quick slant for 80 yards. You can actually run back punts and kick offs. It captures the unpredictability of college football better than any other game. Yes, NFL2K does capture the NFL well, but it's not fun to me.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #23
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF11
The NCAA series is the best football game for one reason: ATOMSHPERE.
I agree, Atmosphere and details are top notch. That is why I have been a little disappointed with the direction that the game has taken the last few years. I wish they would just make a few minor gameplay adjustments (ie. short pass vs long pass success rates) and then take that awesome atmosphere and make it even better. Girlfriend mode and seizure inducing HFA just don't rattle my chains.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:42 PM   #24

jmood88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
It's an opinion that you aren't going to change. I enjoy NCAA because it's actually exciting on every play. Any play can be a pick 6, a fumble, a break away run, a 65 speed QB scramble for 50 yards, or a quick slant for 80 yards. You can actually run back punts and kick offs. It captures the unpredictability of college football better than any other game. Yes, NFL2K does capture the NFL well, but it's not fun to me.
I guess we look for different things in the games. Ncaa is fun head to head but the gimmicky plays get annoying.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »