Home

Gameplay or Graphics?

This is a discussion on Gameplay or Graphics? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Gameplay or Graphics, Etc.
I want a game that plays like real football and the other stuff doesn't matter as much 115 93.50%
Its all about graphics and stadiums. Gameplay is not a big deal 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #17
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Gameplay or Graphics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I've played every game in the series and every single new game has had gameplay improvements with the exception perhaps of 2005 when it seemed to take a step backwards with WR drops and etc. I think from reading these threads there is some serious extremism anti-EA sentiment going on here.
And plenty of pro coming from one person....What drastic improvements did the make if I may ask? give me a run down other than a couple of animations & features...
Old 04-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #18
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I've played every game in the series and every single new game has had gameplay improvements with the exception perhaps of 2005 when it seemed to take a step backwards with WR drops and etc. I think from reading these threads there is some serious extremism anti-EA sentiment going on here.
I agree, there have definately been several small-yet-important improvements to gameplay over the last three versions of the game.

But at the same time, think about Madden (or NCAA I guess) from '97-'02. There were significant changes in gameplay in those games from year to year that would make any prior versions unplayable. That hasn't been the case the last four years.

I think some of us older gamers would like to see the constant improvement on a larger scale once again.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 04-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #19
MVP

noplace's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I agree, there have definately been several small-yet-important improvements to gameplay over the last three versions of the game.

But at the same time, think about Madden (or NCAA I guess) from '97-'02. There were significant changes in gameplay in those games from year to year that would make any prior versions unplayable. That hasn't been the case the last four years.

I think some of us older gamers would like to see the constant improvement on a larger scale once again.
Name them please...I'm an older gamer now please tell me what I missed because I've been gaming since the beginning.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:49 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

maybe EA is working on the actual on-field gameplay and graphics first? at least for the new NCAA game, they added 1,000 animations and stuff and I liked the controls of Madden 06 for 360, but trying to pick your player on defense was a pain...

Oh and I want improvements on both gameplay and graphics...

Last edited by rednarb357; 04-24-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #21
MVP

noplace's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednarb357
maybe EA is working on the actual on-field gameplay and graphics first? at least for the new NCAA game, they added 1,000 animations and stuff and I liked the controls of Madden 06 for 360, but trying to pick your player on defense was a pain...

Oh and I want improvements on both gameplay and graphics...
Hopefully you're right about the on the field gameplay..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #22
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
Name them please...I'm an older gamer now please tell me what I missed because I've been gaming since the beginning.
Well I said small, but important, so I'm not going to list anything groundbreaking here pal.

- The ability to call slant hot-routes, this was pretty big for me since I always made a ton of adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

- Running the ball up the middle/between the tackles improved.

- The ball spiralling during passes (and then more realistically).

- Playmaker feature (for those times when the AI's defense would cheat and overload the side you were running to every time).

- Improved AI offense.

- New catch and tackle animations (the main ones remained the same but they added new ones).

- The ability to change your audibles on the fly from your playbook during games (so you could change audibles frequently, I loved this feature)

- Rotating conference schedules during dynasties ('05 was the first game to feature this - and it was huge. In NCAA '04 I played 13 years in a dynasty with Penn State and didn't play Michigan ONCE!!)

- They made trick plays actually work. A few years ago if you ran a WR Reverse 100 times you'd get tackled for a loss 100 times.

- The punt/kick return game were drastically improved. Years ago it was impossible to do return kicks.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #23
MVP

noplace's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Well I said small, but important, so I'm not going to list anything groundbreaking here pal.

- The ability to call slant hot-routes, this was pretty big for me since I always made a ton of adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

- Running the ball up the middle/between the tackles improved.

- The ball spiralling during passes (and then more realistically).

- Playmaker feature (for those times when the AI's defense would cheat and overload the side you were running to every time).

- Improved AI offense.

- New catch and tackle animations (the main ones remained the same but they added new ones).

- The ability to change your audibles on the fly from your playbook during games (so you could change audibles frequently, I loved this feature)

- Rotating conference schedules during dynasties ('05 was the first game to feature this - and it was huge. In NCAA '04 I played 13 years in a dynasty with Penn State and didn't play Michigan ONCE!!)

- They made trick plays actually work. A few years ago if you ran a WR Reverse 100 times you'd get tackled for a loss 100 times.

- The punt/kick return game were drastically improved. Years ago it was impossible to do return kicks.

- hot-routes

- Running the ball up the middle/between the tackles improved. Too improved very unrealistic ( can drive a truck though )

- The ball spiralling during passes (and then more realistically). Come on?

- Playmaker feature (for those times when the AI's defense would cheat and overload the side you were running to every time). Nothing to do with gameplay..thats called a glitch

- Improved AI offense. I'll give you this one. (Better decision were made)

- New catch and tackle animations (the main ones remained the same but they added new ones). Very minor for a game 4 yrs old

- The ability to change your audibles on the fly from your playbook during games (so you could change audibles frequently, I loved this feature) Again what does this have to do with game play..These are features

- Rotating conference schedules during dynasties ('05 was the first game to feature this - and it was huge. In NCAA '04 I played 13 years in a dynasty with Penn State and didn't play Michigan ONCE!!) (Feature)

- They made trick plays actually work. A few years ago if you ran a WR Reverse 100 times you'd get tackled for a loss 100 times.( Bad programming )

- The punt/kick return game were drastically improved. Years ago it was impossible to do return kicks...Now its tooo easy & broken 20 punt returns a yr for TD's. Again wheres the realism?

I understand the points of improvement made but come on...Other than features & tweeks this is the same game. With 2004 being the best of the series IMO...They have yet to address major issues that have plagued this series point blank. Most of the issues brought up were so minor they are hard to see from one game to the next. Except the interior running & SP play which was overdone
Old 04-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #24
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace

I understand the points of improvement made but come on...Other than features & tweeks this is the same game. With 2004 being the best of the series IMO...They have yet to address major issues that have plagued this series point blank. Most of the issues brought up were so minor they are hard to see from one game to the next. Except the interior running & SP play which was overdone
You won't get an argument from me that '04 was the best in the series, I 100% agree with that.

I also agree that the game has been very stale and running in place for a few years for the most part, part of me is worried that football videogames have reached their ceiling. But in fair share to EA's defense, they have made some improvements to the game that made it more enjoyable. It's just while they took a step forward in one direction (running) they took two steps back in another area (defense, super-human DB's and LB's).

I've hardly played a football game for the last two years (either Madden or NCAA) after playing them religiously up through '04.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »