Home

Top 25 in NCAA 07

This is a discussion on Top 25 in NCAA 07 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Top 25 in NCAA 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by abates21
But on a related note, why aren't they using last year end of year rankings anyways? That would make more since than idle speculation IMO."

that makes no sense whatsoever. why would you use the end of the season rankings right now? I don't think anyone could make an argument that (and I think BK would agree) USC should be #2 in the country. And some would agree that there's no way Texas should be #1, they lost too much (best on O, best on D). Until they do away with pre season rankings all together (which is probably never going to happen), we're gonna be stuck with these crap pre season polls that shape the entire year based off of some crazy newspaper editors and coaches.
It makes total sense to me...after all no one this year is truly #1 until they are crowned National Champs at the end of the upcoming year, no one that is except the Longhorns. Why shouldn't they get to be #1 in the game?

Although I see your criticisms of my idea, I don't like preseason polls and I think my suggestion is better because at least it's based on the previous year rather than idle speculation. I mean if you see Texas #1 in the game based on last year's NC then that makes more sense than seeing Florida in the game as #1 and then what happens if they go and lose their first 2 games? You're stuck with a game where the Gators are #1 all year long which makes even less sense than having Texas as #1 because at least Texas being #1 has some sort of basis.

One other way that they could do it is yeah go ahead and go by Athlons preseason poll, but then update the rankings of the teams each week during the season via Xbox Live, that way if Florida is #1, fine, because if they lose their first couple of games and suddenly LSU is #1 then Florida drops down and LSU moves up.

I know some people may not care much about it because they play Dynasty but when you play online the rankings that are the initial ones are the ones used all year.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
I thought preseason rankings showed tOSU #1. Not saying I'm mad if they're not but #4 is a little low IMO for them to be.
You lost 8 defensive starters, your best offensive player, and 2 OL. Really, the top 10 is all a toss up this year with no team returning a great defense and a great QB.

Quote:
And LSU? Puh-lease, they haven't even settled on their QB yet.
But whoever they settle on is a top 10 QB in the country.

Quote:
But on a related note, why aren't they using last year end of year rankings anyways? That would make more since than idle speculation IMO.
Until they finish the core game, they leave last year's ratings and rankings. Same reason Brodie is getting sacked by McClover in some screens.

Quote:
I dont think Athlon is going to have Florida #1. I believe it will be Auburn and here is my argument as to why.

The preview page has them unblurred.

#1 is definately either Auburn or Florida, but #8 looks a lot like Auburn.

Someone with PS enlarge the image, this is killing me. All I have is paint.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
You lost 8 defensive starters, your best offensive player, and 2 OL. Really, the top 10 is all a toss up this year with no team returning a great defense and a great QB.
Troy Smith was lost this past year? Wow, j/k I know you mean Holmes but he wasn't our best offensive player, Smith was. As for the defensive losses, that to me is probably a question mark but we have not had problems bringing in young guys to fill the void, and in some cases like with De'andrea, the guys returning are not newbies anyways.

Quote:

But whoever they settle on is a top 10 QB in the country.
There is still no getting around the fact that they don't have as much experience as Smith who is battle tested in big games (does it get any bigger than Ohio State vs scUM) and is a senior.

Quote:

Until they finish the core game, they leave last year's ratings and rankings. Same reason Brodie is getting sacked by McClover in some screens.

From all the preseason polls I've seen the top 3 have been tOSU, Texas and Notre Dame. I have no idea why all of a sudden Florida, Auburn and LSU are suddenly leap frogging those 3.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 05-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
One other way that they could do it is yeah go ahead and go by Athlons preseason poll, but then update the rankings of the teams each week during the season via Xbox Live, that way if Florida is #1, fine, because if they lose their first couple of games and suddenly LSU is #1 then Florida drops down and LSU moves up.

I know some people may not care much about it because they play Dynasty but when you play online the rankings that are the initial ones are the ones used all year.
I have been wishing for this for a few years. I played some Dynasty in college, but now that I am older I prefer just hopping on XBL at night and playing one or two games and then ratings do matter. Didn't Madden's ratings get updated during the year last year? Hopefully they can continue that because if Florida is 1, you can take half a look at their schedule and realize that bird ain't going to fly this year.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcculac
I have been wishing for this for a few years. I played some Dynasty in college, but now that I am older I prefer just hopping on XBL at night and playing one or two games and then ratings do matter. Didn't Madden's ratings get updated during the year last year? Hopefully they can continue that because if Florida is 1, you can take half a look at their schedule and realize that bird ain't going to fly this year.
Exactly man..I know EA won't update player ratings throughout the year due to legal reasons about athletes in the NCAA and all but the least they could do is simply adjust the rankings each time you login to Xbox Live. Maybe with more emphasis on Xbox Live 360 this year we will finally see this.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

I noticed that earlier. Someone needs to get on it and settle the debate. Although after spending time on it, EA will probably opt to not use Athlon this season.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcculac
I noticed that earlier. Someone needs to get on it and settle the debate. Although after spending time on it, EA will probably opt to not use Athlon this season.
With the ESPN tie-in wouldn't they just use ESPN's?

Old 05-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
With the ESPN tie-in wouldn't they just use ESPN's?
ESPN's doesn't come out until August. They'll probably either use Athlon or their own.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »