Home

IGN Mailbag RE: NCAA 360 Playbooks Vs. Current Gen

This is a discussion on IGN Mailbag RE: NCAA 360 Playbooks Vs. Current Gen within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
IGN Mailbag RE: NCAA 360 Playbooks Vs. Current Gen

Didn't see this talked about yet...

http://sports.ign.com/articles/711/711301p1.html

Mailer: In your preview for NCAA Football 07, you said how the playbooks in the 360 version aren't as good as the ones in current gen, but then I read on a message board that you were wrong. Stop giving us wrong information.-

John Robinson's response: Brilliant. Did you also read about the woman who gave birth to Bigfoot? The playbooks in the 360 version aren't as detailed as the ones in current gen. They weren't when I wrote the article, and they're still not. They don't have any of the new trick plays like the Puntrooskie or even the new formations like the Pistol. But why believe the guy who saw the game down at Tiburon when someone on a message board is telling you "the truth"? My bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: IGN Mailbag RE: NCAA 360 Playbooks Vs. Current Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
Didn't see this talked about yet...

http://sports.ign.com/articles/711/711301p1.html

Mailer: In your preview for NCAA Football 07, you said how the playbooks in the 360 version aren't as good as the ones in current gen, but then I read on a message board that you were wrong. Stop giving us wrong information.-

John Robinson's response: Brilliant. Did you also read about the woman who gave birth to Bigfoot? The playbooks in the 360 version aren't as detailed as the ones in current gen. They weren't when I wrote the article, and they're still not. They don't have any of the new trick plays like the Puntrooskie or even the new formations like the Pistol. But why believe the guy who saw the game down at Tiburon when someone on a message board is telling you "the truth"? My bad.

Hahah he's not going by what he said then. In his article he made it seem that the 360 version would be nothing but last year's playbooks. And all I can say is, that's not what someone at EA said. Notice how he has gone back in and edited the article too to say,
Quote:
What you will find are playbooks that consist of 21 formations and nearly 300 plays per team.
That was not there in his first write up of it. He's saying exactly what I was told. So now he has to save face. Whatever!!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
R**k**

OVR: 3

Something else that is not clear from his preview is that he says that ESPN the Magazine did not make the transition to the 360. Does this mean that there is no weekly magazine cover of any type? I am confused about this - and hope that there is at least some sort of weekly wrapup even if it is not specifically ESPN the magazine. Anyone know?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpars
Something else that is not clear from his preview is that he says that ESPN the Magazine did not make the transition to the 360. Does this mean that there is no weekly magazine cover of any type? I am confused about this - and hope that there is at least some sort of weekly wrapup even if it is not specifically ESPN the magazine. Anyone know?
All the information that was found in the SI/ESPN section on current gen can be found and is organized the same way in the 360 version. The only thing missing is the weekly covers. Heisman Watch, Weekly Awards, Polls etc. can all be found in the 360 version.

Last edited by aholbert32; 06-06-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
All the information that was found in the SI/ESPN section on current gen can be found is organized the same way in the 360 version. The only thing missing is the weekly covers. Heisman Watch, Weekly Awards, Polls etc. can all be found in the 360 version.
Are you ****ing kidding me?

It's not a game killer by any reach, but that just sucks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
Rookie

GatorBait's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Hahah he's not going by what he said then. In his article he made it seem that the 360 version would be nothing but last year's playbooks. And all I can say is, that's not what someone at EA said. Notice how he has gone back in and edited the article too to say,

That was not there in his first write up of it. He's saying exactly what I was told. So now he has to save face. Whatever!!
Well, he is telling the truth. The 360 playbooks aren't as detailed as the current gen ones. There are more formations and plays per team (not necessarily all new ones), but the current gen is still more detailed and offers more formations than 360.

Technically, on current gen right now you could give a team 21 formations and 300 plays consisting of only formations that are in the game now (if you had enough memory).

Initially, I think a lot of people saw "21 formations and roughly 300 plays" and immediately thought there had to be a bunch of new formations and plays for each team.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBait
Well, he is telling the truth. The 360 playbooks aren't as detailed as the current gen ones. There are more formations and plays per team (not necessarily all new ones), but the current gen is still more detailed and offers more formations than 360.

Technically, on current gen right now you could give a team 21 formations and 300 plays consisting of only formations that are in the game now (if you had enough memory).

Initially, I think a lot of people saw "21 formations and roughly 300 plays" and immediately thought there had to be a bunch of new formations and plays for each team.

I'm not saying he isn't telling the truth now. But the part about 21 formations and 300 plays was not in his first write up of the article. That's why people were confused. I don't think we were confused about the 360 playbooks not being as detailed. People were concerned after reading his first print of the article that the 360 playbooks would be the EXACT same playbooks in NCAA 2006, with no additional formations added to each book. That's what created the misunderstanding. At least that's how I understood it.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Man, does EA seem completely half-arsed about everything in next gen. It's really pitiful that current gen remains the "showcase system" for features.

I know a year ago, I didn’t expect “Next Gen football” to be defined by better graphics, but also by thinner feature sets, "less detailed" playbooks, less teams, less stadiums, less presentation, and less modes of play. Its pretty embarrassing.

I can't remember a time when I've been this unexcited for upcoming football games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »