Home

The HB direct

This is a discussion on The HB direct within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23
The HB direct

I really hope that EA addressed this play for the '07 version. It was really fun last year playing online against people who would no huddle and run that play everytime. It was even more fun when I figured out how to stop it and then the cheesers disconnected on me.

I can't really see the fun in all the cheesing that people do and I really hope EA minimizes such antics.

It would be cool if the AI penalized you for running the same play over and over again. Ex. You run HB direct three times and the fourth time the center snaps the ball over the HB's head.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
Pro

Dino's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: The HB direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
I really hope that EA addressed this play for the '07 version. It was really fun last year playing online against people who would no huddle and run that play everytime. It was even more fun when I figured out how to stop it and then the cheesers disconnected on me.

I can't really see the fun in all the cheesing that people do and I really hope EA minimizes such antics.

It would be cool if the AI penalized you for running the same play over and over again. Ex. You run HB direct three times and the fourth time the center snaps the ball over the HB's head.
Judging by the IGN videos, it's still in the game. They ran it like 5 times. IGN CHEESEBALLZ!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Banned

Kentucky3D's Arena

OVR: 6

nothing wrong with leaving the play in the game as many teams run that play a couple of times each season. EA should just make it so that after u run it once in that game, the corners and LBs just break out of coverage and go after the RB so it shouldn't gain much.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky3D
nothing wrong with leaving the play in the game as many teams run that play a couple of times each season. EA should just make it so that after u run it once in that game, the corners and LBs just break out of coverage and go after the RB so it shouldn't gain much.

just leave it in the game but up the % chance of fumble to a realistic level and the whole thing is fixed.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-24-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
just leave it in the game but up the % chance of fumble to a realistic level and the whole thing is fixed.

exactly, a half back direct snap is not that easy for a center...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I don't agree with adding extra fumbles or bad snaps just because someone ran the play a few times in a row. That is simply an unrealistic cheat to level it out. What they should do is boost the awareness of the defensive players on plays that are run multiple times. Boosting awareness 5% on every successive play run either back to back or within the last 10 plays run would be a good start.

I think 2K5 used to track the plays you ran. If a play gets run a certain percentage amount of times either overall or in the last 5-10 plays, defensive players awareness should be increased to help stop it. That said, if you are a great running team going up against a lousy run defense, they should still have a hard time stopping it. NOT boosting strength or speed or adding fumbles/bad snaps while simply increasing a player's intelligence (which is the only thing that happens in a real game) is the best way to handle it.

I'm not saying bad snaps or fumbles shouldn't be increased. I'm just saying they shouldn't be increased soley because a play is being used a lot.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 62

Anyone else remember this supposed enhancement from Madden 98?

Quote:
Madden NFL 98 Technology Advancements
Madden NFL 98 pushes interactive sports game technology to a new level. A key area of focus this year was devoted to the game's artificial intelligence (AI), which is the manner in which the computer reacts as the game is played. Pioneered by EA SPORTSä, Madden NFL 98 is the first video game to implement a concept called Liquid AI’. Just as a liquid, such as water, flows when it hits a surface to fill open space and gaps, Liquid AI enables the video football players in Madden NFL 98 to dynamically flow and move to the correct positions on the field in order to make a play. Other football games will give a player a pre-set responsibility for a play. In Madden NFL 98, however, a player will read a play as it develops, check what other players on his team and the opposing team are doing, and will react and change his assignment if necessary. The game reacts exactly as a human would.

"Madden NFL 98 plays smart. You've really got to pay attention to what you're doing to beat the game," said John Madden, Emmy Award winning broadcaster and former Super Bowl’ winning coach. "If you don't play smart like players do in the real game, you'll get run over by the computer. Then you'll wake up the next morning with a headache saying, 'What hit me? I was just playing a video game and now I can't get out of bed!'"
This isn't the best description, but in theory the AI controlled players were supposed to pick up on tendencies and even if playing another person they would be better able to stop plays if they were ran over and over. Given the effectiveness of plays such as the HB Direct and the way they bust the AI, I would doubt this feature ever did what it was supposed to, or it is always flawed when the RB touched the ball as I remember in Madden 98 that the HB Toss Pass play was every bit as effective as the HB Direct. Talk about over promising and under delivering given that certain plays still destroy the AI in the 2007 incarnations of these games.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I don't agree with adding extra fumbles or bad snaps just because someone ran the play a few times in a row. That is simply an unrealistic cheat to level it out. What they should do is boost the awareness of the defensive players on plays that are run multiple times. Boosting awareness 5% on every successive play run either back to back or within the last 10 plays run would be a good start.

I think 2K5 used to track the plays you ran. If a play gets run a certain percentage amount of times either overall or in the last 5-10 plays, defensive players awareness should be increased to help stop it. That said, if you are a great running team going up against a lousy run defense, they should still have a hard time stopping it. NOT boosting strength or speed or adding fumbles/bad snaps while simply increasing a player's intelligence (which is the only thing that happens in a real game) is the best way to handle it.

I'm not saying bad snaps or fumbles shouldn't be increased. I'm just saying they shouldn't be increased soley because a play is being used a lot.
Bingo

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »