Home

For the new generation gamer crying and whining....

This is a discussion on For the new generation gamer crying and whining.... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: For the new generation gamer crying and whining....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71
I'm not settling at all. I think its the best looking and best playing FB game to date. I'm very pleased. Gameplay and Graphics. 2 most important things to me.
I feel the same way you do on some titles...but whats to stop them from this becoming the "norm". "Lets throw out a new console...update some titles with graphics and one or two improvements...and charge double to boost 1st year sales" (this might be taking it to far but its not impossible)

I dont "immerse" myself in this game. Its a fun football game that I will play for a month or 2....compared to years past of a year or more here and there.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #34
Rookie

McAlister's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskillz
You see. Trying to sound so smart, you sound stupid. That is exactly my point. I will play your game. So the retail version of NCAA 2007 is now just a "demo"? You need to read my post again, as well as these other guys who share my gaming experience.

The point of my thread is somehow you guys have lost sight of what a football videogame is. Your trying to redefine something that needs no redefinition. I will use Serena Williams as an example. She gained her fame as a Tennis player. All that she has she owes to Tennis. She lost sight of that, and her game suffered for it. She tried to become a TV Star, Fashion Model/Designer, etc. All to the detriment of her game. She is trying to come back now with a new focus, centered squarely on Tennis. In essence, she is "getting back to the basics". Same principle applies here.

EA has been focusing so hard on things extraneous to the game of football that the actual football game took a backseat. They seem to be trying to get back to the basics of football. Yet, many of you who don't even seem to be football fans continue to concern yourselves more with off the field matters more than on.
I like this post!!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt
Watch out! You may have just been eaten by a pack of quotations...
Quotes own you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
And 200 years ago people didn't have electricity and running water, so you better not complain if your power goes out for a week.

Yeah, I remember College Football on the Genesis and that stuff, but that doesn't mean I should just be greatful that NCAA 07 is 3D. If it was free I'd agree, but it's not, we pay for it.
You too? Now I will play YOUR game. The basics of football in 1980 are still the basics of football today. What that has to do with whether there was electricity and running water is??

Again, trying to sound so smart....
Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
You too? Now I will play YOUR game. The basics of football in 1980 are still the basics of football today. What that has to do with whether there was electricity and running water is??

Again, trying to sound so smart....
Anybody who disagree's with you is not smart? Thats just genius.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #38
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
....about all things NOT related to the actual game of football, THANK GOD for us old heads who played videogame football when it was red dots scrolling across the little screen, 5 yellow stick figures against 5 blue stick figures, electric football with 22 painted plastic football figures on bases vibrating on a sheet of metal, etc. No Dynasties, No Franchises, no worrying about CPU vs CPU, no holding "cyber meetings" with players, players wives, pricing popcorn, etc. It was just people who loved the GAME of football and wanted to emulate any way they could. There would be NO videogame football industry if it you guys were in our place. Why? Because so many of you are so concerned with so many things NOT related to the actual game of football. How in the H*LL did it turn into all things not related to the actual GAME OF FOOTBALL is beyond me. It is absolutely pathetic to hear you young heads talk about how "...without Dynasty mode, the game loses its appeal after a few weeks.." Are you kidding me. You guys sound like a bunch of spoiled babies. What is on the cover of these games? A FOOTBALL player making a FOOTBALL play. NOT a General Manager, a Player Personel Director, a Stadium Builder, a Financial Advisor, Head of Stadium Security, a player agent, a CIO, or anyone else you cats aspire to be! It is a FOOTBALL simulation, yet, we get impressions where guys are talking about everything BUT the game of football. EA has been giving you NON football fans everything you wanted these last few years, to the detriment of us actual football fans. They decide to get back to the basics of FOOTBALL and you guys start whining and crying. Is this a perfect game? Of course not. But it is the most realistic looking and playing game they have put out in a VERY long time. Contrary to what the new generation thinks, old heads grew up then grew OUT of Madden when it was obvious that other companies were more concerned with the actual game of football and not just making money. What the exclusive license means is that they know they have to appeal to a wider audience now because as they found out with Madden 360, there are many out there who aren't drinking the Kool Aid.
Give me a freaking break. Last I checked recruting and everything related to dynasty mode is apart of football.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 07-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 2

hah, I tried to read this, but it hurt my eyes.

I do remember seeing football in CAPS, and it did end with Kool Aid.

Thumbs up!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 9

It is interesting to me that my gaming life spans all known systems (well from Atari 2600 on) and I share the perspective of a lot of the posters in this thread, especially the affect of the internet on people's expectations for a game. I myself am guilty of this to a degree, having bought the XB360 in anticipation of playing NCAA and Madden on it and overblown expectations based on screenshots and video clips. I know better yet still I had my own issues with too high expectations (which were shattered bak to reality with Madden 2006 on the 360).

One of the other things that no one takes into account is the way we all remember things - and how that memory is colored over time to gloss over the unpleasantries and overgloss the good. To quote Billy Joel (and I am sure more than a few members on this board just went "who?"): The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.

Example - one of my all-time favorite games has got to be Madden '91 for the Sega Genesis. I was only 20 back then and my friends and I played that thing so much in college that we nick named the Genesis the "GPA Assassin" - but one of the things that made the game so much fun to play were the one-on-one battles we had against each otehr and the marathon gaming sessions that would run from 3 PM until 6 AM the next morning. It was the shared experiences that made the game seem to be much more than the sums of its parts. This game had no NFL players, no NFL team names, no unifroms, no coaches and was barely more than blocks of pixels moving in a vaguely football-esque manner.

AI? You have to be kidding me. Stadiums? Please, we were fired up that the "field" looked like it had yard markers on it! Dynasties? Good lord, you didn't even have the ability to "play" a season. Back then we were thrilled to have 22 characters on the field! But what made that game so much fun to us at the time was that it was just a "football" game. We did not need to have the "features" included because if we wanted to believe the team that was "Oakland" was the Raiders and the RB#32 was Marcus Allen, then our imagination could handle that inconvienient detail very well. The thing was that we played as much as we did because of the social intereaction and competition and the fact it was a really fun game. It allowed us to pretend we were playign football and representign the players without having to have their 3D face rendered exactly in a Ridell helmet with the real time reflections of a 3:30 PM kickoff in November.

Games in general have hit a point where they are in real trouble when those details are all that people can focus on. Graphics and Features and Extras all exist simply because back in the early 1990's, guys like myself - and many many others - bought and played EA games constantly because they were fun. It had nothing to do with the reasons I see so many younger gamers come on this forum and rage about being "left out". It was all about gameplay, and as a result, that has always been my focus.

Anyway - bottom line is that gamers who grew up with the industry are probably a lot more forgiving of certain shortcomings than the younger on-demand generation. That's just life...every generation tends to advance or move beyond the boundries of the prevous ones - for example, my parents STILL cannot handle programming a VCR without a written cheat sheet from me explaining exactly which buttons to push and in what order. They don't have HDTV, barely know what to do with a DVD and you know what? THEY DO NOT CARE. It just doesn't matter to them in the least. Well, teh same logic applies to the gaming world I believe - for those of us who don't care about a missing CAP-feature or a missing Dynasty mode and can find lots to love in the 360, we may never understand the mindset of those who simply cannot abide not having them - but the kicker is this :

Until you make a better alternative game to what is offered by EA (even if that game does not have the NFL or NCAA license - EA doesn't own the rights to "football"), then all you are doing is howling at the moon. If you don't like, don't buy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »