Home

stopping the pass?

This is a discussion on stopping the pass? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15
stopping the pass?

I like to use FSU, because i am an alumn. I know we don't have the most experienced DBs, but....

I was playing this guy online last night. He was OSU. I think he ran 4 plays the whole game (cheezer). Shotgun, he would run backwards (the classic EA QB glitch) and then throw to an open guy. I would run a dime zone/man, it didnt seem to matter. He would throw the ball up and his guys would catch it. he scored 42 points in the first half and he never ran once!! It's pretty ridiculous. And the thing is, he wasn't glitching, he was just calling the same money plays over and over.

I was moving up my DBs, putting them inside to cover the slant..anything..but I know I can learn more and this is not just about online play.

What are some good strategies in NCAA you use for stopping the pass? I obviously am missing some kind of secret or something because I am better then this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: stopping the pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
I like to use FSU, because i am an alumn. I know we don't have the most experienced DBs, but....

I was playing this guy online last night. He was OSU. I think he ran 4 plays the whole game (cheezer). Shotgun, he would run backwards (the classic EA QB glitch) and then throw to an open guy. I would run a dime zone/man, it didnt seem to matter. He would throw the ball up and his guys would catch it. he scored 42 points in the first half and he never ran once!! It's pretty ridiculous. And the thing is, he wasn't glitching, he was just calling the same money plays over and over.

I was moving up my DBs, putting them inside to cover the slant..anything..but I know I can learn more and this is not just about online play.

What are some good strategies in NCAA you use for stopping the pass? I obviously am missing some kind of secret or something because I am better then this.
Shift ur d-line to the strongest side then audible to make them crash that side. Now blitz a linebacker on that same side and cover he midle f the field wit the MLB.

or

Pick the dime play with the 2 inside CB's blitzing, bump the outside CB's and
shift and crsh the dline to one side
Old 07-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab

Your best strategy, stop playing cheesers. When you have a cheeser that has mastered their craft, there is really no stopping them, they know what 3-4 plays work, they will do them over and over again and there will be nothing you can do about it, regardless of how good you are, playing a skilled cheeser is an impossible battle to win, and even if you do, you stop having fun by the time you win

Otherwise i would try jamming his recievers and blitzing/hoping for a pass rush, and play alot of cover 2 cover 3,

Linebackers are pretty good at stoping slants and under routes, cause they will knock guys out and make them drop the ball.

Man coverage is pretty useless against decent recievers without a pass rush, And Dime should only be used for zones against 4-5 wide reciever sets, but really your best bet is to stop playing cheesers
Old 07-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Wow great thread. I hope others chime in with some tips because I have the same problem. Ironically, I'm also using FSU lol.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
MVP

Methlab's Arena

yeah, id like to stop playing cheezers, but let's be honest, sometimes you just want to play online and not wait for all your friends to get on.

Also, I was a very strong NFL 2k player. I beat cheezers all day long in that game, so I think that it's just a matter of figuring out how to shut down certain plays. I will try everything suggested, but i'd love to hear more ideas.

Last edited by Methlab; 07-23-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

The QBs are so fast in this game and they are so accurate throwing at odd positions and from very deep. I really don't think there's all that much you can do.

I did fine against one guy who wanted to throw deep by playing zone and double teaming the deep sidelines. But then I came up against a guy who had mastered the art of the high touch streak. It basically makes the WR jump while your DBs sit and do nothing. It's very hard to defend even with a double team.

So basically you are left with the option of blitzing unless you just want to wait to get gunned deep. And the problem there is the QBs are so fast and accurate that they can buy PLENTY of time and still throw at 1 on 1's.

In Madden the high touch was money but the streak was very well defended. The combination of a high touch streak is pretty mean.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
MVP

Methlab's Arena

the cheezer with OSU would run backwards too..so it is the same nonsense that has plagued EA football for ever. The QB runs backwards and then chucks it downfield. SEGA fixed this by 2005, but EA still can't.

The high touch is done by flicking up on the left thumbstick? Is that what you are talking about? This guy used precision passing a lot too. I wish I could say he was good, but he didnt sim..he just called the same 4 money plays..what fun is that???
Old 07-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 29

I have stopped playing online for this exact reason... Unfotunatley there are guys that dont care how they win. Although, I will admit, if I am playing the CPU and a play keeps working for me I will blow a team out...

I have had a few close games... I have been using Ohio Univ. (my current grad school) since my Buckeyes are so dominant this year (alum)

My pass defense is 77th in the country, my rushing defense is #1. Offense I am #1 in scoring and undefeated (6-0)

I have had a couple close games with N. Illinois and Missouri. 27-14 and 24-21. both games I won on last second fg's.

I give up around 250 passing yards every game.. mostly because I have slow DBs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »