Home

Who do you choose on defense? Does it matter?

This is a discussion on Who do you choose on defense? Does it matter? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Who do you choose on defense? Does it matter?

This has probably been asked a billion times but I couldn't find it.

When on defense, which player do you choose? Do you pick a linemen and rush the QB, a zone LB and just hang out, or what? It would seem like good defensive strategy would hinge on who you pick and what you do with him. Obviously you have to be careful when moving a guy around if he already has a defensive assignment.

So, who do you guys pick? What's your theory behind who to pick and why? Do you pick impact players or allow the computer to control them? Do you try to shut down certain routes that players (or the computer) like to run?

thanks for any help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Who do you choose on defense? Does it matter?

I've always and probably always will play with the safeties. I like to roam the field.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBison
This has probably been asked a billion times but I couldn't find it.

When on defense, which player do you choose? Do you pick a linemen and rush the QB, a zone LB and just hang out, or what? It would seem like good defensive strategy would hinge on who you pick and what you do with him. Obviously you have to be careful when moving a guy around if he already has a defensive assignment.

So, who do you guys pick? What's your theory behind who to pick and why? Do you pick impact players or allow the computer to control them? Do you try to shut down certain routes that players (or the computer) like to run?

thanks for any help.
I normally play as free safety. I think I'm in the minority because I usually do not switch players on defense. I like feeling like I'm playing on a team and have to trust my other teammates to play their assignments correctly. In general, I play my assignment... especially when in man coverage. I usually allow the computer to control my impact players because I know I don't really have to worry about them in the game since they will usually be making plays or be in the position to make plays. It's kinda weird... it's sorta like playing co-op with someone you trust.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqs
I've always and probably always will play with the safeties. I like to roam the field.
So you call defenses where the safeties are in zone coverage giving you latitude to go whenever you want? Do you pick up the zone coverage if a receiver enters your area or do you just try and watch where the QB is going with the ball?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
So you call defenses where the safeties are in zone coverage giving you latitude to go whenever you want? Do you pick up the zone coverage if a receiver enters your area or do you just try and watch where the QB is going with the ball?
I stay in their zone when playing zone Ds fake blitzing at times and sometimes selling out to try to get a sack. The CPU will burn and test you alot if you slip up though so you have to have good control and pay attention. Especially in pure zones ala cover 2 or 3.

I play alot of cover 2 man which allows me to play a little more wreckless depending on the offenses alignment as well as my confidence in my CBs. But in these cases I usually will try to watch an entire side of the field. Depending on whether i'm playing the free or strong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Rookie

Thanks for the responses.

Any other opinions?

thanks!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I like playing the Free Safety in the cover 2. I will usually stay in the cover 2 keeping my safety in his zone unless the QB is in the shotgun and I think I might be able to get a sack. It's kind of fun when I call a blitzing scheme and have to cover a receiver as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

Any other opinions?

thanks!
I like to play as one of the safeties or as the OLB.
But I suck at the defense, so if I cant stop them, I'll switch to the
DT and let the CPU play most of the defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »