Home

On the fence as to which one to get?

This is a discussion on On the fence as to which one to get? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: On the fence as to which one to get?

I have the PS2 and XBOX 360 versions. The NCAA game is probably my favorite game every year. I think their both versions are pretty good. The current gen has new camera angles during special teams play, which adds a freshness to the feel of that portion of the game. There are also a lot of new animations (not as many as in the 360 version, but you will still see things that you haven't seen before). I love all of the new plays added to the current gen game and the playbooks are more team specific (versus 360 version). To me those things make the current gen version fun. Basically, if you liked last years current gen version, IMO this year's version is even better.

What can I say about the 360 version that hasn't already been said. If you are looking for something new... a little different feel in terms of gameplay (I don't know if it feels different to me moreso, since I was mainly a PS2 player before picking up the 360), yet there is still a little familiarity to it. The graphics and animations are guaranteed to knock your socks off, especially if you have an HDTV. It's a great game, but should be even better next year.

I guess the bottom line is if I had one choice, I'd probably have to go with the 360 version.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
Thanks, I did miss that one.
Well after reading that entire thread I have come to the conclusion that I am even more confused as to which to get. Seems to be a 50/50 split among OS'ers. For those who have the xbox version, it sounds like a minor upgrade from last year's. For those who have the 360 version, it seems they are enjoying the better graphics and animations. Here are a few points I liked from what I read:

Xbox:
1) More fluid
2) More additions and game modes
3) More official stadiums than the 360 generic ones
4) The inclusion of 1A teams that is missing from the 360 version???

Xbox 360:
1) Better graphics
2) More animations
3) Improved AI ???

Still on the fence so it looks like I need to decide if I want NCAA 6.5 for the Xbox or the stripped down 360 version with improved graphics. Tough call as I am looking for replay value which might mean going for the xbox version.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Well after reading that entire thread I have come to the conclusion that I am even more confused as to which to get. Seems to be a 50/50 split among OS'ers. For those who have the xbox version, it sounds like a minor upgrade from last year's. For those who have the 360 version, it seems they are enjoying the better graphics and animations. Here are a few points I liked from what I read:

Xbox:
1) More fluid

Xbox 360:
1) Better graphics
2) More animations
3) Improved AI ???

Still on the fence so it looks like I need to decide if I want NCAA 6.5 for the Xbox or the stripped down 360 version with improved graphics. Tough call as I am looking for replay value which might mean going for the xbox version.
It's not even close to a 50/50 split. The 360 has more votes in the voting thread by a 3 to 1 margin. The AI, graphics and new and improved gameplay make the 360 version by far the best version to get, especially as you said if you have an HDTV. The only reason I can see someone wanting the current gen is if they a) like what's familiar because the current gen is quite familiar (perhaps too much so IMO) and/or b) are hardcore about dynasty to the extent they can't tolerate ANY of 'extras'" that the 360 version lacks being missing (like spring game and espn magazine).

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #12
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

Xbox:
1) More fluid

Xbox 360:
1) Better graphics
2) More animations
3) Improved AI ???

Man I hear you on this one as now I am on the fence too...I have the 360 version and my son has the x-box version..initially I only played the 360 because it's beautiful and the gameplay was decent...I took a look at my sons x-box version and thought I would never go back..after playing for a week the 360 versions lack of formation subs, camera angles , as well as hfa and shakeing camera ..i have found that I am not immersed in the game as well as I am when playing the 360 version...While the gameplay and animations are great on the 360 there really wasn't that much of a difference that would make me wan to play without those listed features...those features give me the realism that I want..on top of that player editing , and formation subs which also make the game more realistic are a must for me..I also love the overhead camera angle which allows me to see the whole feild constantly ...the 360 only gives me that closeup angle which I hate...I have to say the gameplay is different on the 360 and very realistic but x-box version with slider tweaks also plays a damn good game of football..

The graphics blow the xbox out the water but the animations are alot smoother to me on the x-box..anyway I don't have to choose I will play both because I want too..but if I had a gun to my head or was not in the position where I couldn't afford to I would go with the x-box version
Old 07-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #13
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

Do you want a brand new loaded VW with every feature or do you want Porche with little to no features...
Old 07-25-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocaine
Do you want a brand new loaded VW with every feature or do you want Porche with little to no features...
wow, great analogy, that does just about sum up all the really super long threads on thoughts from each side. Good job man.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #15
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
wow, great analogy, that does just about sum up all the really super long threads on thoughts from each side. Good job man.
It would be a good analogy if the 360 version was that much better than the x-box version..but clearly it's not or we wouldn't be having this debate would we....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 10:34 PM   #16
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
Man I hear you on this one as now I am on the fence too...I have the 360 version and my son has the x-box version..initially I only played the 360 because it's beautiful and the gameplay was decent...I took a look at my sons x-box version and thought I would never go back..after playing for a week the 360 versions lack of formation subs, camera angles , as well as hfa and shakeing camera ..i have found that I am not immersed in the game as well as I am when playing the 360 version...While the gameplay and animations are great on the 360 there really wasn't that much of a difference that would make me wan to play without those listed features...those features give me the realism that I want..on top of that player editing , and formation subs which also make the game more realistic are a must for me..I also love the overhead camera angle which allows me to see the whole feild constantly ...the 360 only gives me that closeup angle which I hate...I have to say the gameplay is different on the 360 and very realistic but x-box version with slider tweaks also plays a damn good game of football..

The graphics blow the xbox out the water but the animations are alot smoother to me on the x-box..anyway I don't have to choose I will play both because I want too..but if I had a gun to my head or was not in the position where I couldn't afford to I would go with the x-box version
I'm glad to hear you say that. The things you mention along with a few other things like really neat and intuitive audible and playmaker menus have made the Xbox version far and away the best version for me.

I kept feeling like I was missing something so I went back and played a few more games on the 360 and no matter how hard I tried, I just do not like the feel of the game. I don't like the responsiveness (or lack thereof) of the controls nor do I like the floaty feel of the game. The Xbox version feels so much smoother and due to the tight control, I feel like I can make plays I simply cannot do on the 360.

Like you, I will still play the 360 version from time to time, but the Xbox version will the be the one I play my dynasty with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »