Home

Momentum meter renders my offense completely helpless

This is a discussion on Momentum meter renders my offense completely helpless within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #41
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Momentum meter renders my offense completely helpless

I dig the momentum but hate the meter for aestetic reasons. I'd rather not see it.

But I find momentum to be done well for the team with it, especially when they're on defense. I find the key is to do what teams do in real life... take advantage of the aggresiveness. Run some screens & draws. Run some flairs to the RB & short ins to WRs. Or take a chance deep off of play action. I seem to be able to catch the CPU in a blitz quite often when they have momentum.

When on defense, you have to take chances. I look for opportunities to send an all out blitz. I use the hit stick more. I try for more interceptions. Sometimes it doesn't work and things get worse, but often, it's what I need to get momentum back.

Sacks, turnovers & scores are what effect the momentum. When things are going bad, going conservative is not always the best thing to do. Sometimes you have to take more risks to get back in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I like the MM, but I hate it too. The thing I hate about it is the game turns Tecmo Bowlish. I can understand momentum, but the thing I hate about it is, crazy stuff happens. Like ok the defense is in a 335 Nickel. They only rush 3 guys and the G and Tackle consistently let the DE into the backfield unblocked. Step up into the pocket, trying to use the pocket and they still do not block him. They just sorta stand there and look at him. Then there is the ok, just calm down and run the football. I got a 90 overall FB with an 87 run block, he gets outside on the Counter with the Guard and he gets stood up by a 5'10 175 lb cornerback and sometimes pancaked by him. That my friend is a crock of you know what. I still enjoy playing the game alot, but there are some things man.
This is what I don't like about it. The team w/o momentum does the stupidest things. Maybe it's not related to momentum, but too often, my o-lineman dumb out. For example, unless there's a more immediate threat, I can't think of a reason why an o-tackle would not ATTEMPT to block the DE on a pass play. But, often, my tackles will ignore the DE, and just stand around looking "ready to block". I know players are prone to mistakes under these circumstances. But when this happens, they don't go to block the wrong person. They block NO ONE.

I took a look at some replays to see if it was something cool like being faked out by a LB or safety showing blitz, but it was nothing of the sort.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
This is what I don't like about it. The team w/o momentum does the stupidest things. Maybe it's not related to momentum, but too often, my o-lineman dumb out. For example, unless there's a more immediate threat, I can't think of a reason why an o-tackle would not ATTEMPT to block the DE on a pass play. But, often, my tackles will ignore the DE, and just stand around looking "ready to block". I know players are prone to mistakes under these circumstances. But when this happens, they don't go to block the wrong person. They block NO ONE.

I took a look at some replays to see if it was something cool like being faked out by a LB or safety showing blitz, but it was nothing of the sort.
This is the only part I don't like about it. Reminds me of Tecmo Bowl. Where you picked the right Defensive play and the offense had no chance. Your Oline would either get steamrolled and flattened by defenders coming after the QB or they would block nobody. What I did was shorten my QB drop and they blocked the DE YAYYYY!! But then the idiot in the middle would let the DT through. Can't win for losing
Old 07-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
This is the only part I don't like about it. Reminds me of Tecmo Bowl. Where you picked the right Defensive play and the offense had no chance. Your Oline would either get steamrolled and flattened by defenders coming after the QB or they would block nobody. What I did was shorten my QB drop and they blocked the DE YAYYYY!! But then the idiot in the middle would let the DT through. Can't win for losing
Certainly it's not perfect but everyone is making it out like its killing the game. Maybe a small percent of passing plays get busted up because of missed blocks. For the most part the blocking AI tries to make the block. It's better than NFL 2k and other NCAA games.

This is a minor issue and while some plays get busted up and the OL goes sleeping, it doesn't happen every play. That would kill the game if it did.

Like I've said over at DSP, this game isn't perfect but its the best representation of football made.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:24 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
Certainly it's not perfect but everyone is making it out like its killing the game. Maybe a small percent of passing plays get busted up because of missed blocks. For the most part the blocking AI tries to make the block. It's better than NFL 2k and other NCAA games.

This is a minor issue and while some plays get busted up and the OL goes sleeping, it doesn't happen every play. That would kill the game if it did.

Like I've said over at DSP, this game isn't perfect but its the best representation of football made.

Do you play online? Because if you do not, then playing against the A.I does not even give you close to the full picture. I just played a guy using OSU. I kept the QB in check. But all other types of stupid ish happened. How about 9 Pass interference calls on 3rd and 10 +. Not only that, how about 5 fumbles. Two of which would have led to a tie game. But noooo fumble he gets it and here we go with the pass INT all the way down the field on 3rd and forever he gets the TD eventually and here goes momentum. Sure it is a minor issue if you always play the A.I. But when you are playing another human it's not minor at all.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 12

I understand everyones gripe about MM but I like the challenge it brings. I dont know about you guys, but MM, in my opinion, makes you USE YOUR PLAYBOOK!. Some of us only used about 10-15 plays from our Off playbook. Because of the MM, I found myself using 25-30+ different plays in some games. Another thing, when you get down early, DONT GO FOR THE HOMERUN OUT THE BAT, use your playbook, utilize the short game, playaction, ect. the CPU KNOWS you are going to try to get the points back so it bears down on you. it like a real game, you lose your composure, you'll get ran of the field....

Ben
Voodoo

Last edited by shyvoodoo; 07-28-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've noticed very little difference in the momentum meter except a few more turnovers but that seems realistic to me. I was Michigan against USC in the Rose Bowl on Heisman with all the Offensive and Defensive sliders maxed for both me and the computer. They started the game with a drive down field for the first touchdown, but I drove right back but then got stopped and kicked a 40 yard fieldgoal....7-3USC.

They came back and scored a second touchdown. 14-3 USC momentum maxed to their side once again but I drove down the field again and scored a touchdown....14-10 USC.

After that I stopped USC with 2 straight sacks and I think I got an interception due to blitzing my OLB's and my star corner made a pick and returned it for a score now the momentum switched to my side and after that they didn't score another touchdown until last in the 4th quarter but the game was over 35-21 by then.(not sure about the final score but once I got the upper hand I pulled away)

I still need to work on my game before I take it online.

Last edited by rednarb357; 07-28-2006 at 11:07 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »