Home

Man, what a great SEC game...

This is a discussion on Man, what a great SEC game... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Man, what a great SEC game...

...in week 3 of my Florida dynasty at Neyland Stadium against the Volunteers. It was a defensive struggle early on with UT up 3-0 after a quarter. It was 6-0 UT when I finally got a TD on a tremendous catch in the back of the end zone by Cornelius. The Vols went up 9-7 before a long TD drive at the end of the half made it 14-9 Gators at the intermission.

The 3rd quarter was a bad one for the Gators. UF totalled less than 50 yards of offense and UT turned a short slant over the middle into a 77 yard TD and two point conversion. Gators get the ball back and are again unable to move the ball. On the punt, I shank it badly and UT gets the ball on the Gator 40 yard line. 6 plays later a play action pass leads to an Ainge TD pass to make it 24-14 going to the 4th quarter.

The Gators get the ball to start the quarter and put together a long drive down inside the UT 10 yard line. Then misfortune strikes. On a zone run to the right, there is a miscommunication between Leak and Wynn and the handoff is botched. Leak takes off and picks up 4 yards, but a vicious hit knocks him out of the game. Tebow comes in completely rattled. I wasn't about to have him throwing, so 2 plays later Wynn pounds it home to make it 24-21. After a three and out Cornelius returns the punt inside the Vols 35. Three straight runs gains only 7 yards and Hetland comes on to tie it at 24. Again, the Gators force UT into a 3 and out. On the punt I realized too late that the defenders were bearing down on Cornelius and couldn't get the fair catch signal in time. He is hit and fumbles it giving UT the ball inside the Gator 30. The Vols run three straight runs setting up in the middle of the field for a FG that puts them up 27-24 with just under 2 minutes to play.

Now Tebow will have to throw. After two incompletions to start the drive, he hits Tate Casey for a 21 yard completion. The Gators go no huddle since the are out of time outs. I audible to a play that has my receivers running outs so I can get out of bounds. However, the crowd was so loud I couldn't even hear the ESPN crew talking. Tebow goes up and down the line twice, but Baker obviously doesn't hear. The play diagram shows the play I have audibled to, but Baker doesn't line up in the right place. I snap the ball and quickly the Vols rush is on Tebow. He rolls out to the left and see's Baker about to break. I throw...and instead of throwing the ball to the inside where Baker breaks, Tebow puts the ball to the outside expecing the out. Instead a Vol DB is waiting to pick it off and seal the game.

I know the game's not perfect, but this is the most fun I've had with a football game since NCAA 2004. We have gotten spoiled. It blows my mind to think that here it was, the crowd going crazy (which when I have my system turned up is loud), a true freshman completely rattled in a hostile environment, and unable to get a play called in an two minute drill. If you had told me a few years ago you'd have all that in a video game, I would have called you crazy. Now I have to get my team regrouped and look forward to two weeks without Leak. Great game...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Man, what a great SEC game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
...in week 3 of my Florida dynasty at Neyland Stadium against the Volunteers. It was a defensive struggle early on with UT up 3-0 after a quarter. It was 6-0 UT when I finally got a TD on a tremendous catch in the back of the end zone by Cornelius. The Vols went up 9-7 before a long TD drive at the end of the half made it 14-9 Gators at the intermission.

The 3rd quarter was a bad one for the Gators. UF totalled less than 50 yards of offense and UT turned a short slant over the middle into a 77 yard TD and two point conversion. Gators get the ball back and are again unable to move the ball. On the punt, I shank it badly and UT gets the ball on the Gator 40 yard line. 6 plays later a play action pass leads to an Ainge TD pass to make it 24-14 going to the 4th quarter.

The Gators get the ball to start the quarter and put together a long drive down inside the UT 10 yard line. Then misfortune strikes. On a zone run to the right, there is a miscommunication between Leak and Wynn and the handoff is botched. Leak takes off and picks up 4 yards, but a vicious hit knocks him out of the game. Tebow comes in completely rattled. I wasn't about to have him throwing, so 2 plays later Wynn pounds it home to make it 24-21. After a three and out Cornelius returns the punt inside the Vols 35. Three straight runs gains only 7 yards and Hetland comes on to tie it at 24. Again, the Gators force UT into a 3 and out. On the punt I realized too late that the defenders were bearing down on Cornelius and couldn't get the fair catch signal in time. He is hit and fumbles it giving UT the ball inside the Gator 30. The Vols run three straight runs setting up in the middle of the field for a FG that puts them up 27-24 with just under 2 minutes to play.

Now Tebow will have to throw. After two incompletions to start the drive, he hits Tate Casey for a 21 yard completion. The Gators go no huddle since the are out of time outs. I audible to a play that has my receivers running outs so I can get out of bounds. However, the crowd was so loud I couldn't even hear the ESPN crew talking. Tebow goes up and down the line twice, but Baker obviously doesn't hear. The play diagram shows the play I have audibled to, but Baker doesn't line up in the right place. I snap the ball and quickly the Vols rush is on Tebow. He rolls out to the left and see's Baker about to break. I throw...and instead of throwing the ball to the inside where Baker breaks, Tebow puts the ball to the outside expecing the out. Instead a Vol DB is waiting to pick it off and seal the game.

I know the game's not perfect, but this is the most fun I've had with a football game since NCAA 2004. We have gotten spoiled. It blows my mind to think that here it was, the crowd going crazy (which when I have my system turned up is loud), a true freshman completely rattled in a hostile environment, and unable to get a play called in an two minute drill. If you had told me a few years ago you'd have all that in a video game, I would have called you crazy. Now I have to get my team regrouped and look forward to two weeks without Leak. Great game...
What system do you have the game for?..guessing current gen...
Old 07-27-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Yeah that's probably current gen. Don't u love it?! The crowd goes absolutely crazy sometimes. I'm loving 07 on the XBox myself. Sounds like you had a fun game.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:17 AM   #4
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Yeah that does sound like a great game, also sounds like current gen. Too bad there's no composure on the 360, but I am hoping to get some games in like that.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 07-27-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
What system do you have the game for?..guessing current gen...
Yup. It's XBox. I love how the CPU runs the ball this year, and the deep ball isn't an issue. In this game UT ran the ball 40 times for 138 yards and was 13-22 throwing the ball. It was obvious that Tebow was rattled, because of his 4 passes, only the one he completed was anywhere close.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
*n th* Fl*w*rs

southernbelle's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Yup. It's XBox. I love how the CPU runs the ball this year, and the deep ball isn't an issue. In this game UT ran the ball 40 times for 138 yards and was 13-22 throwing the ball. It was obvious that Tebow was rattled, because of his 4 passes, only the one he completed was anywhere close.

what level are you playing at? how long are the quarters?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle
what level are you playing at? how long are the quarters?
I'm actually playing on Varsity, default sliders, 9 minute quarters. Right now Varsity seems to be giving solid results, (i.e. if I am a much better team, I can blow them out, evenly matched it's a toss up, and if I'm the lesser team I usually lose). I did just tweak the kicking sliders down for the CPU as I still haven't seen them miss a FG (strangly I have seen them miss and XP).
Old 07-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

That game sounded like a great one. I wish that the 360 had the HFA and composure in the game. I will ride it out and just hope for the best next year. Tough loss though, there is always next year.

On a side note. Your next game is it at home or on the road? Let us know how Tebow fares.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »