Home

More on momentum

This is a discussion on More on momentum within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13
More on momentum

It's pretty easy to notice that the first team to score a TD gets the momentum meter 100% in their favor. But I noticed that when I scored the 1st TD of the game on a punt return, the meter filled about halfway. Even after I got the ball back and kicked a FG to take a 10 point lead, the meter still wasn't all the way filled up.

I would really prefer the momentum in this game if the first offensive TD wasn't such a huge reward. It seems a little excessive to me.

What happens when you run an INT back for a touchdown to start the game? Does the meter fill up all the way or only part of the way?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: More on momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
It's pretty easy to notice that the first team to score a TD gets the momentum meter 100% in their favor. But I noticed that when I scored the 1st TD of the game on a punt return, the meter filled about halfway. Even after I got the ball back and kicked a FG to take a 10 point lead, the meter still wasn't all the way filled up.

I would really prefer the momentum in this game if the first offensive TD wasn't such a huge reward. It seems a little excessive to me.

What happens when you run an INT back for a touchdown to start the game? Does the meter fill up all the way or only part of the way?
I think this momentum meter is a lot smarter than everyone thinks. For example, I took my 5th ranked Tar Heels into West Point to take on Army. Now, normally, if I score on my first drive, be it a field goal or a TD, I'll get a full meter. Well, I drove down field, got stuffed on 3rd and short, and had to settle with a FG to open the game. It was good for only two bars of momentum.

Keep in mind that Army's team is rated MUCH LOWER than mine. In real life, if the 5th ranked team in the country gets stuffed on 3rd and short and has to settle for a FG, the momentum isn't necessarily heavily in their favor. The same was the case for this game.

Like I said, I don't think we've even BEGUN to understand how this momentum meter works. I think it has to do with a lot more than just who scores first.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

The only problem I have is, say I fumble on a kickoff to start the game and the CPU scores. Depending on the team I'm playing, all or some momentum is in thier favor. But when I'm back on offense my running game is shut down completely. No bumping off defenders just dropped immediately at the line or behind for a loss. I know the other team is pumped up but damn running is a battle to begin with on AA and hiesman. On the flipside if I'm playing well I don't feel the cpu is near the challenge they normally would be unless its a rivalry game. I like the momentum meter but I feel if it was loaded up by the offense, then keep it for the offense and not roll over to the D. Let the d create their own momentum.
http://www.slamduncan.com/
Old 07-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
I think this momentum meter is a lot smarter than everyone thinks. For example, I took my 5th ranked Tar Heels into West Point to take on Army. Now, normally, if I score on my first drive, be it a field goal or a TD, I'll get a full meter. Well, I drove down field, got stuffed on 3rd and short, and had to settle with a FG to open the game. It was good for only two bars of momentum.

Keep in mind that Army's team is rated MUCH LOWER than mine. In real life, if the 5th ranked team in the country gets stuffed on 3rd and short and has to settle for a FG, the momentum isn't necessarily heavily in their favor. The same was the case for this game.

Like I said, I don't think we've even BEGUN to understand how this momentum meter works. I think it has to do with a lot more than just who scores first.

Agreed. I feel the match up of the teams is also factored into the equation. If your playing a Michigan or OSU and they score first, the meter doesn't fill up all the way. I play as Wisconsin and Wisconsin scored a FG first and Michigan scored a TD on a drive towards the end of the first quarter. The meter was equal.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD21SA
The only problem I have is, say I fumble on a kickoff to start the game and the CPU scores. Depending on the team I'm playing, all or some momentum is in thier favor. But when I'm back on offense my running game is shut down completely. No bumping off defenders just dropped immediately at the line or behind for a loss. I know the other team is pumped up but damn running is a battle to begin with on AA and hiesman. On the flipside if I'm playing well I don't feel the cpu is near the challenge they normally would be unless its a rivalry game. I like the momentum meter but I feel if it was loaded up by the offense, then keep it for the offense and not roll over to the D. Let the d create their own momentum.
Well said.

I've had several games where I've fumbled(not juking or trying to elude, usually just after I receive the handoff) the CPU goes down and scores, the momentum is 100% in their favor and then it just becomes a fumble fest. My HB(McFadden) can't make it out of the backfield.

The last time this happened was against Mississippi St. They are horrible, but I couldn't move the ball at all and I couldn't stop them(they are far from being an offensive juggernaut) and I lost 53 - 20.

I was so close to being perfectly satisfied with this game as far as how challenging it is, but when the computer continually busts through the line( i don't mind if it happens occasionally) it makes me want to drop kick my PS2.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11

also, I can't get a pass rush on the CPU, no matter how many I blitz.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfan
also, I can't get a pass rush on the CPU, no matter how many I blitz.
Two suggestions: Play on AA (adjust appropriate sliders if needed) and use zone blitzes.

Bringing the safeties off the corners and leaving everyone else in the zone is an effective way of getting to the QB. You end up getting a lot of coverage sacks and quite a few INT's when the CPU has to hurry the passes.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
I'd like to think EA is that clever, but after 10 years they still haven't figured out a proper fatigue model. What makes you think they've got the momentum meter down after one try?
Based on what I've seen, it's awful so far ... and should have been an option, not mandatory.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »