Home

Having trouble stoping the pass

This is a discussion on Having trouble stoping the pass within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Having trouble stoping the pass

Ok Heres a strange issue. My secondary is getting burnt way too easy. Its like if I get a 3rd and 15 they will pass for 15 yeards or 20 everytime and the corner just stands there until he gets the ball then make the tackle if hes not already 5 yards downfeild. Any suggestions?

Last edited by CThacker; 08-10-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Having trouble stoping the pass

What version are you playing on?

My pass defense is horrendous, but that is mainly because my D-backs wear concrete shoes:

I want to strangle all of them, especially my safeties, who specialize in making tackles after they let the receiver catch the ball in front of them.

Also, I'm not very good at swatting down passes. It seems like I usually miss and give up a big gain.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I usually have good results with zone coverage while blitzing a linebacker or two. Where I get in trouble is when I switch players to sack the quarterback. Sometimes the QB throws the ball right before I press the switch defender button and dive button, and I end up switching to a cornerback, who ends up diving on the ground, leaving the wide receiver with an easy catch and a clear path to the end zone. I would say that 75% of the touchdowns I give up are on long pass plays.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Rookie

Well The issue with me is the same. I end up switching my players and usualy im on a guy from the D line but by the time I do the defensive hot routes and stuff they already have hiked the ball and are passing. I mean I put my corners and secondary on loose coverage so they dont get burned. The other problem is I dont have a answer for 5 wide sets unless its Dime prevent or the Max Zone. Im playing on the PS2 version with Oklahoma if youre currious
Old 08-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

One thing I think helps is controlling a linebacker in zone coverage. I've noticed the AI QB likes to throw over the middle alot. In nickel and dime coverages, you can sub in a SS or FS for one of your linebackers to gain more speed. I've got quite a few picks and knockdowns.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
Rookie

What works for me is first knowing my team. If you have young safeties and or corners you know there composure and awareness may be low. I would mask that by avoiding man coverage and cover two. If I go cover two I need to get a good pass rush so the WR wont eventually take advantage of the low awarness. Know the team your playing after about two series, you can see what game the computer is going to play.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Banned

The best way to keep your secondary from getting burnt is a good pass rush, you got pressure the qb on passing situations, i was having the same problem trying to play zone on passing situations and then i started blitzing 2 or 3 guys every third down and my pass d improved dramatically, if you just sit back and give the qb time to throw your gonna get killed. You can also try double teaming the wide outs on 3rd and long, usually they'll end up throwing to the tight ends or flankers in the midlle of the field.

Last edited by MAFiles23; 08-10-2006 at 02:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »