Home

Running the option

This is a discussion on Running the option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Running the option

I just became interested in running the option for my team, and was wondering if anyone had any problems with the line being pushed back too far, essentially busting up any option running. It seems like whether I run an actual option run or try an option pass (Fishbone or Wishbone formation usually), the line usually gets pushed back into the QB and running backs. There are even times when the line gets pushed back and the QB doesn't get tackled (he just runs around in a circle, trying to break free from the rush). Is there any way to alleviate this problem or is this common in this game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Running the option

Playing with Navy as I do, I run in to this a lot. If you play against an elite D-Line, this is going to happen. Honestly, when we play Notre Dame in real life, it happens on 50% of the plays as well. The issue NCAA has is the QB animation takes a bit too long, whereas in real life the QB can run in the holes created by the pressure up field.

The best tips I can give you:

1 - Fake snap. You are going to get some false starts, no doubt. But change your snap count on each play.

2 - Don't touch the left stick until the triple option animation is over. That means wait for the QB to start running to control him. This actually will shorten the animation I talked about, and gives you more opportunity to make the cut in front of the tackle.

3 - NO TURBO. Do NOT use the turbo button until you are turned upfield and running. The turbo button lessens your control over your own running for cuts, and makes the pitches more wild.

4 - Look to run with your QB everytime. If your FB doesn't get the initial hand-off (which he should about 50% of the time), your QB is your main runner in the option game. He will get hit. The slotback should only get the pitch if your QB is in trouble. There are two times to pitch it to him - immediately after the fake to the FB (when the SB is at full speed behind the line) or right after the QB gets to the outside. Pitching in the open field beyond the line of scrimmage is EXTREMELY risky.

These are tips I use when playing with Navy, and I am pretty successful, except against elite d-lines. Hope they help.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley79
I just became interested in running the option for my team, and was wondering if anyone had any problems with the line being pushed back too far, essentially busting up any option running. It seems like whether I run an actual option run or try an option pass (Fishbone or Wishbone formation usually), the line usually gets pushed back into the QB and running backs. There are even times when the line gets pushed back and the QB doesn't get tackled (he just runs around in a circle, trying to break free from the rush). Is there any way to alleviate this problem or is this common in this game?
On current Gen (people should really start to specifiy this) i always watch what the linemen do, if im running an option without the fake handoff which i personally like the most, i see if a hole opens up on the line and i cut it up feild early, it makes for more consistant 6-7 yard gains and a few decent breaks.

If the D line doesnt collaps the line early then i round it out and cut it outside
Old 08-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Playing with Navy as I do, I run in to this a lot. If you play against an elite D-Line, this is going to happen. Honestly, when we play Notre Dame in real life, it happens on 50% of the plays as well. The issue NCAA has is the QB animation takes a bit too long, whereas in real life the QB can run in the holes created by the pressure up field.

The best tips I can give you:

1 - Fake snap. You are going to get some false starts, no doubt. But change your snap count on each play.

2 - Don't touch the left stick until the triple option animation is over. That means wait for the QB to start running to control him. This actually will shorten the animation I talked about, and gives you more opportunity to make the cut in front of the tackle.

3 - NO TURBO. Do NOT use the turbo button until you are turned upfield and running. The turbo button lessens your control over your own running for cuts, and makes the pitches more wild.

4 - Look to run with your QB everytime. If your FB doesn't get the initial hand-off (which he should about 50% of the time), your QB is your main runner in the option game. He will get hit. The slotback should only get the pitch if your QB is in trouble. There are two times to pitch it to him - immediately after the fake to the FB (when the SB is at full speed behind the line) or right after the QB gets to the outside. Pitching in the open field beyond the line of scrimmage is EXTREMELY risky.

These are tips I use when playing with Navy, and I am pretty successful, except against elite d-lines. Hope they help.
Thanks for the tips. You gave a lot of useful info. I'm just glad that I'm not alone on this issue. I'm still debating on whether to use the option or not for my dynasty. I'm on the 360 using Notre Dame (with Brady Quinn being injured for the rest of the season), and I'm considering moving into a different direction (using the option). I'm going to practice a little more with the option QB that I have (a freshman with tons of potential). Thanks for the input.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »