Home

Schedule effect on recruiting?

This is a discussion on Schedule effect on recruiting? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Schedule effect on recruiting?

I don't know if anyone has noticed this before, but I have a question based on something I saw last night....

I just finished my 3rd year at Temple. We went 10-3 and only had 3 TV games based on a very weak schedule. My losses were to Illinois, soem other team, and to Clemson in the Emerald Bowl. The Clemson game was the only one of the three TV games that was nationally televised, the other two were regional broadcasts.

During in-season recruiting, I landed 4 **** players and 1 ***, all from PA. I am also losing 21 seniors to graduation. In off-season recuiting, no players better than ** were interested in my team. Now, I know, that Temple is not exactly a powerhouse school, but in the first 2 seasons, I had *** and some **** recruits interested. The talent on my team is not so good as to scare the better players away.

So my question is, does schedule have any effect on recruiting? Does playing a televised game create more interest from recruits even if you lose? I know winning helps, but is being on TV, win or lose, more helpful than having a cupcake schedule to gain wins?

Please don't turn this into a bashing of having a cupcake schedule, I already know that makes the game easy. This was for experimental purposes looking at how conference invites would work and I found this while checking how recruiting would be affected.

On that note, let me also add that Temple was offered to replace Bowling Green in the MAC and accepted. Would changing (or in this case joining) a conference affect recruits also?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Schedule effect on recruiting?

A lot of people have stated that playing well on TV games will have an effect on your recruiting success. The game tracks your tv appearances, so I don't see why it wouldn't be relevant. Obviously, playing well in national TV games would be more important than playing well in regional games.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

to me, this is just an example of how easy it is to recruit, even for crap programs. I play as army and early on had a cupcake schedule just to make my guys better. Then of course I lose like 2 games a year and get better prospects interested in me.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
to me, this is just an example of how easy it is to recruit, even for crap programs. I play as army and early on had a cupcake schedule just to make my guys better. Then of course I lose like 2 games a year and get better prospects interested in me.
I haven't found the 360 version to be easy to recruit in at all.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Rookie

tedknick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I haven't found the 360 version to be easy to recruit in at all.
Same for the PS2, maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't get anything higher than 3* in offseason recruiting. And a majority of my players are 2*. This is with my 3* rated created school.

Maybe that makes sense, since I'm middle of the road and play in the Mac, but I have been ranked at the end of each of the last two seasons.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedknick
Same for the PS2, maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't get anything higher than 3* in offseason recruiting. And a majority of my players are 2*. This is with my 3* rated created school.

Maybe that makes sense, since I'm middle of the road and play in the Mac, but I have been ranked at the end of each of the last two seasons.
BTW, I should mention that I'm playing on the PS2.....
By my third year were are a 3* team also. My second TV game (regional broadcast) was against #23 UCF which we won.

Even still, only 2* and 1* guys were interested in Temple....NO 3* or higher.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedknick

I do think recruiting is harder this year. I started out with Ole Miss in NCAA '06 and I think I had a top 10 recruiting class in my first year and was number 1 every year after that. For NCAA '07 I took Wake Forest and went 12-2 (a bit lucky) in my first year and had the #15 recruiting class (I was ranked #15 after year 1). Next year I went 7-6 and finished with the #21 class (ended up outside the top 40) and didn't get a single 5*. TV games do have an impact but record is still extremely important.

For all of those people that are having an easy time on the PS2/XBox recruiting with lousy programs, what are your season records? If you tell me you are winning less than seven or eight games and still get Top 10 classes (or even the best) then I would say recruiting is way too easy and/or I'm bad at it. However, if you are winning 10+ games with lousy programs I would say your difficulty settings are too low and it only makes sense that kids would want to go to a winning program. If your difficulty settings/sliders are tough enough that your B rated squad is only winning half the time, then I don't think you will find it so easy to recruit.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Rookie

tedknick's Arena

In my last season, I finished 9-4 and ranked #25 in the country. Even then I only had (3) 3* recruits interested.

Now, a majority of my MAC games aren't on TV, except for Kent St. and usually one or two others, but I usually schedule a tough non-conf. schedule with ranked teams and all those games end up on TV. Plus, I have played in a bowl game each of the last 2 years.

My best recruiting class was #34, that was after I had won the MAC and finished the year 11-3, but I was also able to snag a 5* HB in season and 3 other 4* players, I'm sure that helped.

Last edited by tedknick; 09-08-2006 at 01:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »