Home

Quick question for you experts

This is a discussion on Quick question for you experts within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quick question for you experts

I dont play the defense I just call the play and let the CPU run it so I was wondering is there any specific way to shift the lineman and linebackers so that at least one of my linebackers will come free every play on a running play. My linebackers get about 6 tackles a game on 8 min qtr but I have trouble stuffing the run like good run defenses do in real life. The CPU gets about 4-8 yards a running play on me and when I take control of someone they get even more because I'm not good at all at tackling. So any help would be great. And if it means anything I play on Varsity with my break block at 75 and their run block at 45 and my tackling at 50.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Quick question for you experts

Wow, I did not think that was even possible.... who do you play with? there is no way you are using OU.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Rookie

Yep, I'm using OU and still give up about 4-8 yards per carry. My last game against UAB i gave up like 88 yards but 65 of it was in the first half then they started throwing alot in the 2nd half because i was up 24-3 at half time.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 17

Okay.... well call 4-3 man cover 2 and take a safety who has deep zone coverage. Shift the front 4 TOWARDS the empty no TE side if there is one and the LBs towards the TE. That right there should help a TON. If they are still running, call the 4-3 OLB blitz play with MLB in man. Call the one where the OLB come straight in and don't loop around the outside. Still shift the front 4 towards the non TE side and the LBs the other way. Take the safety who is responsible for the HB so you can help with the run.

There is NO way they will get more than 2 yards per carry with your settings.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I also find that hard to understand given your settings (I'm assuming that varsity is easier than all-american). I play on the 360 on AA. I started with Jistic's sliders and made some modifications along the way. My sliders should make it much much MUCH easier for the CPU to run against me than it is against you.

your_settings(my_settings)
difficulty level: varsity(all-american)
human break block: 75(~20)
human tackling: 50(~30)
cpu run block: 45(~75)
cpu RB ability: ?(85)

As you can see, you should break a TON more blocks than my guys, my cpu opponents should run block MUCH better than your cpu opponents, your guys should tackle a LOT better than my guys and I would assume that my cpu opponent's RBs are much better runners than your opponents' RBs. But, I rarely have difficulty stopping the run. Like you, I'm pretty bad on defense which is why I had to stop playing the MLB (my favorite defensive position) and take over the SS. I lead my team in tackles sometimes, but my cpu controlled teammates make the lion's share of the tackles so it's not like it's my ubAr skillz that are the difference as most people would probably like other people to believe. It's my computer controlled guys tackling other computer controlled guys most of the time. I play as Michigan (who has a great defense) and North Carolina (who has a WEAK defense) and neither of them have much trouble with the run. Carolina obviously has more 100 yd rushers (and 200 yd rushers )against them than Michigan, but even Carolina doesn't struggle like you're saying you do (with Oklahoma no less).

Do you play on the 360? If not, maybe it's just a system difference, but I would doubt it would be that profound.

What kind of D do you play against the run? Are you in dime coverage every down or something?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
Rookie

I play on regular xbox and my main 3 plays I call are 4-3 cover 2 and 4-3 man, the one where the LBs are in man with the corners and the safeties are in zone then the man coverage of nickel< LBs in man safeties in zone> and thats about it. I think in the UAB game they avg like 3-4 yards a carry but early on it was more than 5 every time. But I'll try what you said Soce, thanks for the help.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchimpy
I play on regular xbox and my main 3 plays I call are 4-3 cover 2 and 4-3 man, the one where the LBs are in man with the corners and the safeties are in zone then the man coverage of nickel< LBs in man safeties in zone> and thats about it. I think in the UAB game they avg like 3-4 yards a carry but early on it was more than 5 every time. But I'll try what you said Soce, thanks for the help.
Base zone defenses are more passive against the run. Its why teams need to run on Cover 2 defenses to force them to come up out of coverage. You shouldn't be able to expect to call one or two vanilla plays all game and be dominant against the run. I don't see the fun or realism in that.

If you want to stop the run, start shifting LBs and slanting your DL. Call some 4-4 or Bear plays and bring an extra guy in the box. Mix up your play calls and if you only have 7 on 7 in the box, blitz an OLB off of the strong side of the field (either out of zone or man) to help stop the run.

EA has created an unrealistic expectation of run defenses through their past games for years. Up until recently, the CPU never tried to run or wasn't any good at running. Video game players used to lead the league/conference in rush defense by large margins up until the last couple of years. The reality is that most teams in any league will give up large chunks of rushing on the ground every once in awhile. Check your team stat rankings and see how your run defense compares to the rest of the conference. That will give you a good idea as to whether your run defense is good or not. If you are #1 against the run by a lot, your settings are probably too easy.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

To stop the run, I constantly shift my linebackers and defensive line. I almost never go with the base call. Also, if you move guys around just as the ball is snapped, it seems to confuse the linemen a little bit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »