Home

hb tosses or sweeps

This is a discussion on hb tosses or sweeps within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
Rookie

RW Nole's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: hb tosses or sweeps

I call 3-4 sweeps per game and have had some good success with them. First off, you need to set them up by establishing an inside running game. I rarely call a sweep in the first half. I run mostly ISO plays, counters, and off-tackle plays. Usually the CPU will make an adjustment after halftime and the inside running game gets tougher. As soon as you notice that the inside runs aren't working as well. Run a sweep with a fast RB and you can pick up big yards. Do this a couple of times and then the inside running game will open back up.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Tosses/Sweeps don't work that often in real life, so I'm fine w. them not working much in the game. I've played just shy of 100 games in my dynasty and I think I've called less than a dozen toss/sweeps.

Football videogames took a big step forward five or six years ago when the finally stopped letting you cheese and run sweeps all game long, get to the outside and murder the opposition. I remember in Madden '01 in my dynasty I was Miami and got Corey Dillion a few years in and got 728 yards rushing in one game cause of the pro-form sweep. Stupid stuff, but then again part of it was my fault for repeatidly calling the same play and abusing it.
They have improved the running games in recent years. However, Madden 2001 on the PS2 (first year) was good in that the inside running game was well done while it was tough to run outside. For some stupid reason, they made 2002 on the PS2 easy to run outside and extremely difficult inside which was a move in the wrong direction. It was a big problem but they fixed it in 2003 and the game just seemed really good and balanced. That was the last time I truly enjoyed playing Madden football.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
They have improved the running games in recent years. However, Madden 2001 on the PS2 (first year) was good in that the inside running game was well done while it was tough to run outside. For some stupid reason, they made 2002 on the PS2 easy to run outside and extremely difficult inside which was a move in the wrong direction. It was a big problem but they fixed it in 2003 and the game just seemed really good and balanced. That was the last time I truly enjoyed playing Madden football.
I forgot to mention it was Madden '01 on PSOne, I was a broke college kid at the time who couldn't afford a PS2.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I forgot to mention it was Madden '01 on PSOne, I was a broke college kid at the time who couldn't afford a PS2.
I was only semi-broke with a job.

I was actually refusing to pay that much money for the next console (I think it was over $400 Canadian at the time) and was going to try to be happy with 2K1 on my brother's Dreamcast. I never liked 2K1 so I traded it in for Madden 2001 on the PS1 and was happy. A few weeks later I stopped by an EB and saw Madden running on the PS2. That completely sold me on the system. I was blown away. Unfortunately, that was September and it took me until December to actually find a PS2 to buy. Good memories though.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW Nole
I call 3-4 sweeps per game and have had some good success with them. First off, you need to set them up by establishing an inside running game. I rarely call a sweep in the first half. I run mostly ISO plays, counters, and off-tackle plays. Usually the CPU will make an adjustment after halftime and the inside running game gets tougher. As soon as you notice that the inside runs aren't working as well. Run a sweep with a fast RB and you can pick up big yards. Do this a couple of times and then the inside running game will open back up.

Hope that helps.
thanks i'll give it a try
Old 10-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #14
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4

I also love running the FB dive play out of the I formation a couple of times and then switching up to the FB fake toss where the qb fakes the handoff up the middle to the fullback and then pitches it to the tailback heading outside. If the computer collapses inside to stuff the play in the middle, your running back will have clear sailing up the sideline.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Patience.

Wait for your linemen to get out in front of you. I was always hitting the sprint button and trying to get outside too quickly and the plays would practically always end up in negative yardage.

This helped me a lot
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »