Home

Is it just me or has sports gaming.....

This is a discussion on Is it just me or has sports gaming..... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #25
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Is it just me or has sports gaming.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan21
Your the same age as me and like you I played the living hell out of sega, nintendo, atari way back in the 'good old days' of gaming. My biggest beefs are not graphics at all. My beef is with some simple things like gang tackling, and in game saves in ncaa that would help the hardcore gamer feel like he/she has a voice and that his/her voice is listen to sometimes. I think the hardcore sim gamer just needs to be thrown a bone every once in a while. Or maybe games like madden and ncaa need to come out on a bi-yearly basis so upgrades and twiks can be made.

I'm 38 and have played all the systems. I think we are getting older has something to do with it, but I think since we have been gaming all this time we expect more than what's being delivered. NBA2K7 is the only sports game that I can say is truly next gen, and you can see VC really put time and effort into the game, and I'll use EA as an example. How is it that VC managed to include everything from the PS2 and Xbox versions into NBA2K7, and ADD NEW things, yet EA leaves all the gamplay and other options from the old consoles out of Madden and NCAA, and really not add anything new? And they really expect us to be satisfied with this? I think not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drae2
I'm 38 and have played all the systems. I think we are getting older has something to do with it, but I think since we have been gaming all this time we expect more than what's being delivered. NBA2K7 is the only sports game that I can say is truly next gen, and you can see VC really put time and effort into the game, and I'll use EA as an example. How is it that VC managed to include everything from the PS2 and Xbox versions into NBA2K7, and ADD NEW things, yet EA leaves all the gamplay and other options from the old consoles out of Madden and NCAA, and really not add anything new? And they really expect us to be satisfied with this? I think not.
Yea, I think the fact that some of us have been gaming for well over a decade and are expecting more from these games is a big factor. Not only back in the day did you have sega genesis, but also nintendo as well as others were out there with there own unique sports games. Also the PC was starting to enter into its prime. There were so many choices out there.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:24 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5

True, we had a lot back then. But look at now: 3 current gen systems, next gen on the market, 2 more will be here any time now, 3 handheld systems, PC.........and everything has more games than before.

There are tons of quality games that just never hit the shelves anymore.

I think the folks saying we can't be impressed as easily anymore are really hitting the nail on the head. I started playing football with the old Mattel handheld systems (now re-released for you young-ins). Then I moved up to the TI-994A.....and red dots versus blue dots and I believe 4 whole plays! Then as the systems move up we go from dots to armed pixels, from there to pixels with faces, then 3D.......all the while making the game more and more realistic from a gameplay aspect.

The real problem, I think, comes back to marketing. It's hard to market better AI, better details, etcetera. It's super easy to market a new mode. And when you compare the companies, that's a big distinction. If we compared Konami (Winning Eleven), 2K Sports, and EA......it's easy to see who makes the most money and why (but in my opinion, not the best sports games). That may be the real problem: the average sports gamer is easily attracted to the marketing. Through word of mouth, rentals, and the like, you're seeing gamers move to other games, that while having far less marketing, tend to hit the small details better.

So, I don't know if it's laziness, as some claim. Developers really have a fairly short window, and the various companies have chosen different paths. One makes far more money than the other, and that's a priority for that company. The best thing gamers can do is to try as many games as you can, and play the one that you feel is the best game.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #28
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Sports games right now are crappy and boring. Only great sports game for me in the past few years has been NHL 07.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 10-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #29
MVP

drae2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Sports games right now are crappy and boring. Only great sports game for me in the past few years has been NHL 07.

You should really check out NBA2K7. It's not boring or crappy. IMO the best sports game out, period.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 12

Im 29, and I dont agree with the age comment at all.

You think just because we are getting older that we cant be impressed? Thats ludicrus.

Ive played football since the Tandy 1000 and Atari days. There are very very few football games that I have not played.

What I see in football games over the past 2 years doesnt even compare to the football games a decade ago.

Since this is a madden forum, lets use Madden for example. 2k comments will be held to a minimum due to the fanboyism around here.

Commentary

Joe Montana Sports talk football had 1 man commentary and by todays standard would be bland as hell. Madden has 1 man commentary and is bland as hell. JMSTF was released in 92 i think, its now 2007. 15 years have passed since then and limited improvement

Tackling

The very first Madden and Bill Walsh football released on SNES / Genesis /SegaCD all had 1 man tackles. All you had to do was run into a player and they would fall down. Fast forward 15 years and look at Madden 07....same ****

Replays / Highlights

One of the first maddens EVER released featured a small box that appeared in the upper portion of the screen and showed a highlight of another game going on. People have been asking for things similar to this "ala 2k" for years. Even with its 16 bit technology, 4 meg rom sized games, Madden offered an early version of this in the early 90s. Its 2007 and they cant get it right.

People are just asking for more presentation and some form of player interaction. Fans have been asking for this for a long time, yet are ignored every time. Hate 2k all you want, but the presentation and player interaction was top notch. Whats wrong with adding presentation to Madden? Its bland as hell. Adding player interaction like 2k would go along way too. The ps3 videos that show the "supposed gang tackling" are a joke.

Think what you want. Its not because of age was cant be impressed, its because with age weve seen football games regress or remain very similar in many aspects.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #31
MVP

drae2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
Im 29, and I dont agree with the age comment at all.

You think just because we are getting older that we cant be impressed? Thats ludicrus.

Ive played football since the Tandy 1000 and Atari days. There are very very few football games that I have not played.

What I see in football games over the past 2 years doesnt even compare to the football games a decade ago.

Since this is a madden forum, lets use Madden for example. 2k comments will be held to a minimum due to the fanboyism around here.

Commentary

Joe Montana Sports talk football had 1 man commentary and by todays standard would be bland as hell. Madden has 1 man commentary and is bland as hell. JMSTF was released in 92 i think, its now 2007. 15 years have passed since then and limited improvement

Tackling

The very first Madden and Bill Walsh football released on SNES / Genesis /SegaCD all had 1 man tackles. All you had to do was run into a player and they would fall down. Fast forward 15 years and look at Madden 07....same ****

Replays / Highlights

One of the first maddens EVER released featured a small box that appeared in the upper portion of the screen and showed a highlight of another game going on. People have been asking for things similar to this "ala 2k" for years. Even with its 16 bit technology, 4 meg rom sized games, Madden offered an early version of this in the early 90s. Its 2007 and they cant get it right.

People are just asking for more presentation and some form of player interaction. Fans have been asking for this for a long time, yet are ignored every time. Hate 2k all you want, but the presentation and player interaction was top notch. Whats wrong with adding presentation to Madden? Its bland as hell. Adding player interaction like 2k would go along way too. The ps3 videos that show the "supposed gang tackling" are a joke.

Think what you want. Its not because of age was cant be impressed, its because with age weve seen football games regress or remain very similar in many aspects.
Bravo!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2006, 01:03 PM   #32
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drae2
Bravo!!

The biggest jump we will see in football games now will be the "natural motion" or what ever EA is calling thier version. It will be like what FIFA 07 has, a little. The ball wont be caught from the same place. The arms will move to the ball, not the ball making its way to the players hand (and sometimes never getting there) When making a tackle the arms will be going towards the ball carrier. it will be less animation and add a different look everytime. Imagine one handed catches, pulling the QB down with one hand.

But the 2nd big step will be with a full true real time physics engine. And from there the game will look great on the field. Never see the same exact tackle twice. Line men acting like they should, players turning side ways to hit the gap. Hi/low gand tackles. You will see some great hits and we will all once again be happy.

animations have made the game boring. We've been seeing them for how long now. yeah they have added more, but there is no chance that we will see a one handed grab while spinning and then getting his legs cut out from underneath. And with the new system we will see that. The question is when will EA bring it out?

The best part about all this, is once they get the physics engine to real time. it will free up time and space for other options. I just hope we get these before PS4 and XBOX Cubed (3)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »