Home

Is it just me or has sports gaming.....

This is a discussion on Is it just me or has sports gaming..... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Is it just me or has sports gaming.....

People act like we will complain about madden even if Jesus made it himself. This is not true.

Ive been a member of this board since 04, and browser since 03. Since then the wish list on OS and Madden Nation look something similar to this.

04 Wish List

1. Gang Tackling
2. Gang Tackling
3. Presentation
4. Presentation
5. Gang Tackling
6. Presentation
7. Gang Tackling
8. Presentation
9. Presentation
10. Gang Tackling

05 Wish List

1. Gang Tackling
2. Gang Tackling
3. Presentation
4. Presentation
5. Gang Tackling
6. Presentation
7. Gang Tackling
8. Presentation
9. Presentation
10. Gang Tackling

06 Wish List

1. Gang Tackling
2. Gang Tackling
3. Presentation
4. Presentation
5. Gang Tackling
6. Presentation
7. Gang Tackling
8. Presentation
9. Presentation
10. Gang Tackling

07 Wish List

1. Gang Tackling
2. Gang Tackling
3. Presentation
4. Presentation
5. Gang Tackling
6. Presentation
7. Gang Tackling
8. Presentation
9. Presentation
10. Gang Tackling

See a pattern here? For years Madden fans have been asking for better player interaction and presentation. Each and every year...NOTHING...is done to even attempt to improve the situation.

Want the majority of the crowd to quit complaining? Look to the above list to get an idea of what it would take. Maddens lack of player interaction cripples the game. EA has never made any effort to address either of this issues, and instead focuses on pricing hotdogs, parking tickets, and minigames.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
Im 29, and I dont agree with the age comment at all.

You think just because we are getting older that we cant be impressed? Thats ludicrus.

Ive played football since the Tandy 1000 and Atari days. There are very very few football games that I have not played.

What I see in football games over the past 2 years doesnt even compare to the football games a decade ago.

Since this is a madden forum, lets use Madden for example. 2k comments will be held to a minimum due to the fanboyism around here.

Commentary

Joe Montana Sports talk football had 1 man commentary and by todays standard would be bland as hell. Madden has 1 man commentary and is bland as hell. JMSTF was released in 92 i think, its now 2007. 15 years have passed since then and limited improvement

Tackling

The very first Madden and Bill Walsh football released on SNES / Genesis /SegaCD all had 1 man tackles. All you had to do was run into a player and they would fall down. Fast forward 15 years and look at Madden 07....same ****

Replays / Highlights

One of the first maddens EVER released featured a small box that appeared in the upper portion of the screen and showed a highlight of another game going on. People have been asking for things similar to this "ala 2k" for years. Even with its 16 bit technology, 4 meg rom sized games, Madden offered an early version of this in the early 90s. Its 2007 and they cant get it right.

People are just asking for more presentation and some form of player interaction. Fans have been asking for this for a long time, yet are ignored every time. Hate 2k all you want, but the presentation and player interaction was top notch. Whats wrong with adding presentation to Madden? Its bland as hell. Adding player interaction like 2k would go along way too. The ps3 videos that show the "supposed gang tackling" are a joke.

Think what you want. Its not because of age was cant be impressed, its because with age weve seen football games regress or remain very similar in many aspects.

SOLID and very true.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #35
Pro

OVR: 7
Thumbs up Re: Is it just me or has sports gaming.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
People act like we will complain about madden even if Jesus made it himself. This is not true.

Ive been a member of this board since 04, and browser since 03. Since then the wish list on OS and Madden Nation look something similar to this.

04 Wish List

1. Gang Tackling
2. Gang Tackling
3. Presentation
4. Presentation
5. Gang Tackling
6. Presentation
7. Gang Tackling
8. Presentation
9. Presentation
10. Gang Tackling

05 Wish List

1. Gang Tackling
2. Gang Tackling
3. Presentation
4. Presentation
5. Gang Tackling
6. Presentation
7. Gang Tackling
8. Presentation
9. Presentation
10. Gang Tackling

06 Wish List

1. Gang Tackling
2. Gang Tackling
3. Presentation
4. Presentation
5. Gang Tackling
6. Presentation
7. Gang Tackling
8. Presentation
9. Presentation
10. Gang Tackling

07 Wish List

1. Gang Tackling
2. Gang Tackling
3. Presentation
4. Presentation
5. Gang Tackling
6. Presentation
7. Gang Tackling
8. Presentation
9. Presentation
10. Gang Tackling

See a pattern here? For years Madden fans have been asking for better player interaction and presentation. Each and every year...NOTHING...is done to even attempt to improve the situation.

Want the majority of the crowd to quit complaining? Look to the above list to get an idea of what it would take. Maddens lack of player interaction cripples the game. EA has never made any effort to address either of this issues, and instead focuses on pricing hotdogs, parking tickets, and minigames.
Exactly. If EA could put gang tackling and tighten up, wait, overhaul the presentation of both madden and ncaa I think that would go a long way in quieting some of the noise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #36
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan21
Exactly. If EA could put gang tackling and tighten up, wait, overhaul the presentation of both madden and ncaa I think that would go a long way in quieting some of the noise.
The whole player/collision detection needs to be overhauled in addition to the presentation, gang tackling, etc. But let's be real here. Why should they when they are the only NFL game in town? And you know what? Even if VC does come out with a game, all EA has to do is just keep pounding in people's heads that Madden is the only NFL game around, which by itself will sell tons of games, even though VC may make a better overall product. Until one of 2 things happen, things will remain the same:

1. The NFL decides that exclusive rights need to be abolished and other companies can start making NFL games or:

2. We the consumer stop buying the product, which hurts EA's bottom line.

I got a good feeling #1 won't happen, but do you think #2 could happen?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:22 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drae2
one of 2 things happen, things will remain the same:

1. The NFL decides that exclusive rights need to be abolished and other companies can start making NFL games or:

2. We the consumer stop buying the product, which hurts EA's bottom line.

I got a good feeling #1 won't happen, but do you think #2 could happen?
#1 could only happen at the end of the current licensing deal. The NFL has signed a legally binding contract ith EA and thus cannot just decide mid way through that the deal no longer satisfies them. If the NFL decided to revoke the deal, they'd have to pay a lot of money to EA for breaching the contract. But considering the NFL has been doing excusive deals in just about every possible area the past few years, I think they'll just renew the agreement at the end of the 5 years.

#2 is not that likely to happen soon either because a very large number of people actually enjoy the game in its current state. That's not to say they don't want improvement in the areas mentionned ad nauseum it just means they can enjoy the game as it is. It may happen over time but not soon.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:15 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 8

SPORTS gaming hasn't declined. FOOTBALL gaming has.

Go play NBA 2k7 and Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer, and then say sports gaming sucks. Those games are gems for their sport.

Unfortunately, EA are crappy developers and cannot put out a decent product.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:28 PM   #39
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysosa

Go play NBA 2k7 and Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer, and then say sports gaming sucks. Those games are gems for their sport.

Unfortunately, EA are crappy developers and cannot put out a decent product.
and the thing about those two games you named. Competition. The key factor in it all. I have not seen a single thing that EA has gained in its games by having exculsive rights, other than no more rivals. If we email NFL and NCAA maybe we could get them to open it back up. But a big fat check is alot better then our wishes.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #40
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysosa

ditto. i loved 2k football. i play ea's football and there are many things i like.

BUT, the other sports have just raced past football in quality and innovation. mlb the show, winning eleven, nba 2k7 are all SIGNIFICANTLY better than any madden, ncaa or nfl 2k5.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »