Home

Screens, Play Action, Reverses, etc

This is a discussion on Screens, Play Action, Reverses, etc within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
MVP

andybaseball2005's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Screens, Play Action, Reverses, etc

It is easy to prevent your Quarterback from getting sacked on playaction just use Slide Protection. For example if your doing Ace-Big PA rollout then use slide protection to the left it always works for me no matter how fast of a QB you got.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

The only time i've had reverses work was this years version (both current and next Gen). Though it was after i set it up with sweeps to that side. It may have helped i had Ted Ginn Jr. running the reverse so his speed helped greatly
Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #11
Rookie

bhs_tigers_00's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
It's on PS2.

I'll try that on screens. I tend to roll towards the play so maybe I'm too close. I don't expect them to work all the time, just once in awhile would be nice.

Do bootlegs work with a slow QB?

Thanks for the advice.
Depends on if you're looking to run with your QB, or if you are just trying to avoid pressure.

I use a slow QB (60 something speed) in my Fla dynasty, and use slide protection very often to roll away from an overloaded side to get away from pressure and set up and throw. I never look to run with him simply because he is too slow. He couldnt make it to the LOS before the D-line caught up to him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #12
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

OVR: 7

Reverses are horrible. I'm on 360, but last year on xbox my friend and I were playing co-op and if someone lead blocks and gets the linebacker or defensive end that screws everything up it will work.
Just another reason why I wish co-op was available on 360!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #13
MVP

edmus's Arena

OVR: 6

Reverses never EVER work for me.

Both HB & WR screens work much better for me out of shotgun formations than when I am under center. There is one WR screen play when my QB is under center that ends up being a fumbled lateral way too often to the point where I avoid running it.

There is one shotgun WR screen in the Ohio State playbook that works great. The key for me is to toss the pass as soon as my QB gets the ball. That way my WR catches it before he starts wandering too far towards my QB. Its 'bang-bang' timing on the keypad, and unfortunately if you don't time it just right its usually much less successful.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
T*rg*t F**ld

bergie56's Arena

OVR: 18

In the 360 version I am able to run screens to my runningback really well. I think that may have been something that they worked on. Also, play action works fairly decent. I have had far less problems with defensive linemen being on top of my quarterback before I could make a play. It still happens from time to time but it is much better than I remember current gen being.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #15
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've been having a lot more success using some of these. The WR screens work great. RB screens are hit or miss, much like IRL when they sniff out a screen.

I'm getting better on play action. My QB is a 72 speed, so the play action rollouts work pretty well. Sometimes I'll be all alone so have time to find a receiver. If not, I'll usually just dump it off to the TE for a short gain. Straight back play action, I've found it helps to mix up the snap count some. The only times I really get tackled immediately are when they jump the snap correctly. By mixing it up, I've caught them offsides a few times or get the DT standing up so he gets pancaked. I still get sacked quickly sometimes, but nowhere near as often as before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Things like screen passes, WR screens, play action, WR reverses, etc? I've had very little success in previous versions so was wondering how these work in 07.
I tend to avoid screen passes since I have little success. I will throw a flanker screen once in awhile and they can work but they always make me nervous if I can't see the DB over there. Screens worked very well in 2K4 but not in 2K5.

Playaction works very well. Rollouts can work but I tend not to run them if the opposing team has great DEs since they often break in and sack the QB. I would definately only run them with QBs with decent speed. The non rollout playaction works well too as long as you run it to the QB's throwing side. For a right handed QB, the fake has to be to the right since it takes him too long to turn around if you fake left. The I-formation playaction to the FB works well as can the PA Scissors play. The PA Strike with the left WR dragging across the middle is also effective.

Two of my other favourite PA plays are out of the ACE - Twin TE formation. Both TEs are on the right and the PA Seam play to the streaking TE in front of the safety works great. Sometimes the safety will come up and the TE will be wide open. The PA Rollout works well against zone defenses too as your TE should be open on the corner.

I've long given up on ever trying to pull off a reverse in a video game. I've never run that play right and I've never seen any team ever gain yards against me using it either. With Arkansas's new offense, EA needs to work on some of that stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »