Home

Rules question on a play that happened to me...

This is a discussion on Rules question on a play that happened to me... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Rules question on a play that happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
That is only in the NFL. College doesn't have a rule and the DB can push the guy out. As for this, I think it was a mistake and the game can't handle contact correctly.
A pass that is caught while the receiver is in the air can be called complete if the official thinks that the receiver would land in bounds if not contacted by the defender. This rule exists in all levels of football.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
A pass that is caught while the receiver is in the air can be called complete if the official thinks that the receiver would land in bounds if not contacted by the defender. This rule exists in all levels of football.
That is the NFL rule, in college the DB can force the receiver out of bounds to avoid the completion.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:06 AM   #11
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

OVR: 8

Incomplete pass. There is no such thing as a "force out" in college football. The player has to land in bounds, and since he did not in this case he is out of bounds and the pass is incomplete. Rule 7.3.7.a
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf - p. 103
Rule interpretation on p. 171, #3.

However, if forward momentum was stopped inbounds, then the play would be ruled as a completed pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside_hitmen
However, if forward momentum was stopped inbounds, then the play would be ruled as a completed pass.
Yeah that has to be the cause for the game ruling it a catch. It keeps a DB from carrying a guy out of bounds for an incomplete pass.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Yeah that has to be the cause for the game ruling it a catch. It keeps a DB from carrying a guy out of bounds for an incomplete pass.
As I have always interpreted it at least, forward momentum was not an issue, the player was still going forward as he went out of bounds. It was a crazy play, but probably was more telling of EA's collision detection issues than anything else.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #14
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
As I have always interpreted it at least, forward momentum was not an issue, the player was still going forward as he went out of bounds. It was a crazy play, but probably was more telling of EA's collision detection issues than anything else.
More than likely that is the case. As long as the guy wasn't carrying him out, and he wasn't in this case, as the player landed on top of another, the rules would state it is an incomplete pass. Frustrating when the game doesn't get it right although this one is a very rare occurence.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside_hitmen
More than likely that is the case. As long as the guy wasn't carrying him out, and he wasn't in this case, as the player landed on top of another, the rules would state it is an incomplete pass. Frustrating when the game doesn't get it right although this one is a very rare occurence.
There is no way I'd expect EA to be able to get this one right. Given that the DB was fully in bounds (I should have saved this replay, it was amazing), I presumed that the WR was constructively in bounds when he landed on the DB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
That is only an NFL rule. That rule doesn't exist in college. A defender can push a receiver out of bounds before their feet touch the ground and the pass would be considered incomplete.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »