Home

NCAA 2004: I know it's been said before...

This is a discussion on NCAA 2004: I know it's been said before... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #73
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NCAA 2004: I know it's been said before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
I think it was the best of the Xbox/PS2 generation as well. 05 was awful, and 06 was pretty good, but not as good as 2004.

Which is kind of weird, because I thought Madden 2004 was the worst of that generation.
I'm pretty sure NCAA 05 - which was easily the worst in the series ever - was made by the madden producer...
Old 06-18-2007, 02:23 AM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 2

the reason i love 2004 is that it was the last year that you could have confidence in your db's to jump when you went for a user pick. since 2005, you get the "throw your hands up and dont jump" animation way to often.

it probably was too easy to get user picks in 2004, but the current system doesnt give you feedback when you do it wrong. you dont know if you jumped to early or late or the wrong angle or what. if they dont jump you cant tell how close you were to actually catching the ball.

this problem is magnified by the fact that its so easy to get user catches with wr's on deep balls.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #75
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I'll disagree, and here are my reasons:
1. Momentum - Way overdone, and EA and I don't agree on what scenarios warrent a +5 on the momentum meter.
2. JTS - Way too many pancakes on both sides of the ball.
3. 3rd Person Kick Returns
4. The kicking mechanism.
5. The CPU never missing kicks.
6. Too much rain in dynasty that contributes to way too many fumbles.
You're right on with this comparison. These are the exact reasons that kept me from playing more than 1 season of NCAA '07.

For the most part, the gameplay was extremely solid, but the "features" added by EA made it a semi-playable mess. If they would have just removed JTS and momentum, it would have made the game MUCH more enjoyable. But of course, the box wouldn't have been as pretty as it was.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 1

See below.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
Loved 04. I remember during the run-up to 05, a poster here played an early build somehow, then came back to report that it sucked compared to 04. He said the defense in 05 swarmed like a school of fish, taking away any opportunities for YAC, and he had a host of other compaints.

The part I remember most, though, is that he said, "04 will go down as the better game." Of course, everyone in this forum was so crunk about 05 that they ripped him inside out, but truer words were never spoken.

I wish I could find that prophetic post, but I don't think the log goes back that far.
That was me! I love being right
Old 06-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #78
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
You're right on with this comparison. These are the exact reasons that kept me from playing more than 1 season of NCAA '07.

For the most part, the gameplay was extremely solid, but the "features" added by EA made it a semi-playable mess. If they would have just removed JTS and momentum, it would have made the game MUCH more enjoyable. But of course, the box wouldn't have been as pretty as it was.
04' was just way too easy to score at will for my tastes.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #79
MVP

OVR: 6

This is weird, I was telling a friend about how I put in ncaa2004 last night and how great that game still was, and then he told me about this thread.

I also like to play ncaa 2006, but it's no where close to 2004. But I can't get back to using the shoulder buttons for juking and non-analog buttons for dline play in 2004. Also, i hate using O on defense speed button which in 06 uses X.

But all that said, 2004 is the best game EVER, including ps1 and what other console. I said Game, not football game, college game, videogame, Game, that includes Monopoly too.

One thing I also noticed about 2004, how great it looks especially compared to EA's 2005 and 2006 versions. It even looks better than the washed out xbox version in 2004. The game is so bright and vibrant, almost like it's on the gamecube.

I love that game, but it's really hard for me to get use to the controls again, so I just been playing 06 which I consider the closest EA's gotten to 2004 in the ncaa games.

only bad thing about ncaa 2004 was no rotating schedules, even though they had this in ncaa 2003.

Last edited by hyacinth1; 06-18-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #80
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

When I see threads on message boards that ask about your all-time favorite game, I always pop in and say 'NCAA 04 for the PS2'. I really didn't know (until now) that so many others also thought that was the best game in the series.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »