Home

Field Goal Dilema

This is a discussion on Field Goal Dilema within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 7
Re: Field Goal Dilema

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Why can't we just have a REAL FG% "Yes/No" like they do for Free Throws in College hoops? That way we would just press the button and the FG would be kicked based on the kickers skill level, not the ability of the player on this lame Kicking meter.
This gets my vote, as well.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #18
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
This is why I didn't let it bother me if I would block 1-2 kicks per game or so, figuring it just helped out the percentages...
Perhaps they changed the fg% thinking that now users could block some of the kicks?? Poorly implemented either way.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #19
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Blocking kicks used to be impossible. Now it's too easy, IMO. I'd rather have realistic FG% than the ability to block FGs. Of course, having both in a realistic manner (and %) would be best.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #20
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside_hitmen
Everyone always forgets one variable on these kicks: the snap. If you make the snap meter something aking to an old nba live free throw meter (think lining up the crosshairs on the x and y axis). This adds another variable to the equation. If you miss high maybe it sails over the holders head. Low snap and the ball dribbles back. Too far behind the holder and it takes him longer to get the ball down, causing the kicker to hesitate and cost him power and accuracy.

The meter right now is just too easy right now. Kicks in college football are far from automatic, just ask Florida State fans about wide left and wide right. Doing some quick stats, last years nationwide FG% was 74%. (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank....yerfg&site=org - I copied it in excel, summed the FGM and FGA categories and then took the difference). Obviously, EA should be trying to replicate this percentage as much as possible. Instead of sitting in the 85 to 90+ percentage they are at right now. Being able to make FG's with my eyes closed shouldn't happen. Also the comp should not be automatic when it gets past the 35 yard line.

Another issue is the onside kick meter. What kicker do you know that would hit the ball on the lower half if they are trying an onside kick? You should be able to set the ball up like you want, position you kicker at a certain angle behind the ball, and try and get the big hop by hitting the top half of the ball. Try that now and the ball goes 2 and a half feet.

In fact, to add some variability to kick off's, how cool would it be to set the ball up (maybe a strong wind blows it off!), position your kicker, aim at a certain point on the ball, and then have something similar to the current system to kick it. It would add so many variables to the kicking game. You could try suprise onsides, squib kicks, pop-over kicks, as well as making kicking the ball more challenging in general.

What do you guys think?
Great idea, Southside. No one gives the snap and hold enough credit in the whole process. I'd love to have to make the kick after just getting over the pressure of making a perfect snap and hold.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 19

I'm a long snapper for my HS team and you guys are right without the snap the kick isn't going to happen.. Now once you long snapper for a few years you almost automatic so a meter for the snap would not be that great, im thinking just at random times the snap could be off, thus making a Snap rating important
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Well, I started a new 6 team dynasty using the "Thread the needle" cheat for the computer and some pretty tough sliders on Heisman. For me, if the line of scrimmage is at the 20 to 25 yard line, I have to roll a 9 or less on two 6 sided dice to attempt the field goal straight up, if I roll higher, I have to try to hook it in by lining the kick arrow outside the goal post. From 25 to 30 an 8 and from 30+ a 7. I can still make some of the hooks, but it adds some drama to the game. Anyway, the AI has missed quite a few field goals, I would say 6 including blocks in the six games I have played.

I play on Heisman 7 minutes and here are my scores
South Carolina (me) @ Miss State. 20-17 Win
Virginia (me) @ Pitt 23-38 Loss
BC @ CMU (Me) 35-13 Loss AI missed 2 FG's
Idaho @ MSU (Me) 3-31 Win AI missed FG
ND (Me) @ GT 20-14 Win (I missed FG & XP after a few penalties)
EMU @ MSU (Me) 24 -34 AI missed 2 FG's
Penn State @ ND 19-14 Loss PSU recorded a safety to get to 19 But this was one of the most exiting games I've ever played, Penn State just pounded the Ball, Hunt had 32 Carries for 167 yards. Quinn threw an INT in the endzone with 1 minute left on 4th down.)

Anyway, everything seems to be going great. Getting some great scores and realistic stats. I like the lower scoring, defensive games where points are at a premiuim. I haven't had very many FG attempts yet this season and most have been drives stalling in the red zone, so I just try to make them straight up.

The other good thing is that the Turnovers seem to have become less of an issue, I have had a few games with only 1 turnover. ND has yet to force a turnover in 2 games. Quinn has 2 Int's and Walker has 1 fumble in 2 games.

It took almost a year to get the sliders down so I am in no hurry to get the new version, because I just want to sit back and see how this dynasty plays out for a few seasons.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #23
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

How about trying to kick them left handed??? That might increase difficulty.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quick update, the "thread the needle cheat" for the AI along with the dice rolling for human is working out great. Played 2 more games...

Georgia @ SC (me) 27-21 win pulled off the upset
CMU (me) @ Michigan 23 - 40 loss. Let me just say Mike Hart is a B-E-A-S-T!
He carried the ball 40 times for 301 yards and 3 touchdowns. I have never ever seen the computer pound the ball like that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »