Home

Field Goal Dilema

This is a discussion on Field Goal Dilema within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Field Goal Dilema

OK, so I've started playing again. Just been tweaking sliders the last couple days and started my 6 team dynasty.

I use the Thread the needle FG cheat so the AI actually misses some Field Goals. The problem is I do not, in fact I even kick them with my eyes closed literally and never miss. I play on Heisman with Accuracy at 0.

Last night I grinded out a 20-17 victory with South Carolina over Mississippi State. I went 2-2 on FG's, Miss State(The AI) went 1-2. It was the difference in the game. Granted both my FG's were from rather short distances, but there was never a doubt that I would make them.

The only fix that I have to this is to pull out a couple 10 sided dice before each FG attempt and roll for a %. If the kicker was 80% from 30-40 yards last year, then a roll of 80 or less and I really try to make the FG. If I roll higher than 80, I just miss on purpose. Kind of lame, but the only way I can figure out to make FG realistic.

I may also try to hook everything in, by lining up outside the goal post each time. Anyone else have a better idea?

Why can't we just have a REAL FG% "Yes/No" like they do for Free Throws in College hoops? That way we would just press the button and the FG would be kicked based on the kickers skill level, not the ability of the player on this lame Kicking meter.

It also looks like they are using the same meter in 2008, so we're screwed for another year. Is Madden like this? Everything automatic? Haven't played that since 2005.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Field Goal Dilema

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage

Why can't we just have a REAL FG% "Yes/No" like they do for Free Throws in College hoops? That way we would just press the button and the FG would be kicked based on the kickers skill level, not the ability of the player on this lame Kicking meter.
That's a very interesting idea. I dont follow the college hoops video game scene much, so I had never heard of it. But it seems like it could work in NCAA Football too. Of course, you've also got the distance thing, unlike in basketball where it's all from the same free throw line.

Perhaps, you should still have to use a distance meter.

I dunno... I think it's a good idea. Have that "yes/no" option for real FG%... sounds like a deal to me... haha
Old 05-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I still can't understand how this error got into the game. This series has been around for over a decade. Worse yet, FG's were fine in previous versions.

2K justifiably gets raked over the coals for their QC efforts over the past few years. But the EA boys were definately out to lunch on this one. How does this not get noticed??

Sorry for the rant. I probably didn't add too much value to this thread. Stirring up memories of the '07 FG issue just got me a little riled up I guess.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Pro

CAJUN COMMISH's Arena

OVR: 10

I kicked. Anything from 30 yards in should be a chippy and 30-40 should be fairly easy as well. I preffer they keep the kicking game somewhat simply as we they figet with it too much it then becomes too unrealisticly hard.

They did do a good job on distance, and that is what it comes down to alot in this game as far as missing.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Ok... I have an idea. I was reading this post, and I totally agree with the fact that kicking meters just really kind of suck if you want realism.
As I'm reading this post, this idea instantly came into my head. So I haven't totally thought this out, as I'm telling almost simultaneously as I think of it.

I say keep the kicking meter. But the kicking meter should work at random speeds compared to the kicker's ability/accuracy. It should also vary speeds depending on the situation, the stadium, the weather conditions, the crowd (for instance on the road at a hostile enviornment), and possilby many other variables that I haven't had time to think of.
What this would mean is, every time you attempt a field goal, you don't know what speed the meter is going to run at. So basically you're kicking on the fly, instead of just always having the meter timed right like it is currently used.
I really think this would work. An example of this would be, say you're on the road and a big kick to give your team the win late in the game. 90,000 people are going nuts in the crowd, the stadium is shaking, and your kicker is nervous ( I just thought of another variable ... confidence of the kicker) and you snap the ball, the kick meter pops up, and rushes to the top and before you can ever hit the button the kick is off and it's a missed field goal.
I don't know, it's just an idea. I think the problem now is that all I have to do is get the timing down on the meter and I become a 95%+ field goal kicker with any kicker.
By doing some of the things I have mentioned, you would never have the timing down on the meter because depending on all the variables, the kick meter would always run at random speeds. This would keep you reacting to the meter and guessing for what would actually happen.

One last thought on kicking meters... it seems to me that all kicking meters involve power, not accuracy. You know what I'm talking about? There is a little arrow you aim the kick before the snap, and then the meter fills up for power. Well, how many times does a field goal kicker miss short??? The meter shouldn't be based on power, but rather on accuracy. Maybe if you wanted to add a kick power option for field goals over 45 yards, then ok. But all kickers can kick a football 45-50 yards no problem. It's the accuracy that the meter should be determining.
I hope you guys like this idea, it's extremely raw as I just came up with as I'm typing. Maybe we can work on this idea and add to it.

If something becomes of it, maybe we can get it it's own thread and the dev team might look into it later at some point. I think it might be a good idea.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Just have a few beers and you won't be so accurate at FG's. Easy solution.

P.S. Tankytime - great idea, you should send that to EA!!!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Just have a few beers and you won't be so accurate at FG's. Easy solution.

P.S. Tankytime - great idea, you should send that to EA!!!
I wouldn't even know how to send it to EA. Maybe someone can do so... I don't even know if EA would care. But think in just the 5 minute brainstorm spurt I had, I came up with a pretty decent idea. Needs to be expanded on though.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage

That's a good idea. Much like Cardot said, this bug/system was inexusable and its amazing how few (if any) reviews commented on it.

They need to go back to the meter and have accuracy sliders that work on all levels. OR add a 2K like drift to the aiming arrow when kicking using the new system.

The kicking game and jts were terrible changes to the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »