Home

What are the differences between Current and Next Gen?

This is a discussion on What are the differences between Current and Next Gen? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: What are the differences between Current and Next Gen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Njskillz, console wars are pointless. Some like the 360 version, some like the PS2 version. What difference does it make? The games are different and as long as you are happy with the version you choose that's all that matters. The NG version isn't the same as the CG version with updated graphics. To debate or incite people anymore on this is borderline trolling. Are you getting a commission for converting people to NG?
You answered your own question. I've heard more current-gen supporters bashing next gen than vice versa. Why? Because ALL next geners were current geners at one time. That is my only point. Been there, done that. Current Gen was great in its time. Some have moved on. To try and sit here and sing the praises of current gen is ridiculous. We all have been there. I loved the NCAA on current gen. Loved it. The only thing I look for in my football videogame is realistic graphics and gameplay attributes. As a "sim" player, I will handle the rest. I don't do Franchise, Dynasty, etc. The many, many battles I've had on these boards can attest to that. To that end, next gen provides me with the most realistic looking player models in conjunction with the ability to play a "sim" style. Current gen, been there, done that. I thought Intellivision Football was the greatest thing ever at one time. Would I go back to it now? Of course not.

By the way, I understand some can't afford to upgrade to a new system. I wasn't making any references to those individuals.

Last edited by njskillz; 06-15-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #26
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskillz
You answered your own question. I've heard more current-gen supporters bashing next gen than vice versa. Why? Because ALL next geners were current geners at one time. That is my only point. Been there, done that. Current Gen was great in its time. Some have moved on. To try and sit here and sing the praises of current gen is ridiculous. We all have been there. I loved the NCAA on current gen. Loved it. The only thing I look for in my football videogame is realistic graphics and gameplay attributes. As a "sim" player, I will handle the rest. I don't do Franchise, Dynasty, etc. The many, many battles I've had on these boards can attest to that. To that end, next gen provides me with the most realistic looking player models in conjunction with the ability to play a "sim" style. Current gen, been there, done that. I thought Intellivision Football was the greatest thing ever at one time. Would I go back to it now? Of course not.

By the way, I understand some can't afford to upgrade to a new system. I wasn't making any references to those individuals.
Current gen isn't staying the same though. This isn't 2K5 where some people are playing the exact same game for three straight years. Granted it will be a similar experience, which most people love, but they are still tweaking the game. '07 was quite a bit different than '06.

Next gen has been hammered by everyone and the scores at Game Rankings reflect that. People have probably piled on too much but that's because expectations are so high. Everyone should want next gen to be great because we will all be there at some point but what's the rush? Next gen was a big disappointment for the on field gameplay last year and money is another issue for me. The NG game has to exceed current gen's gameplay for me to buy another system and I haven't seen that so far. This year's game may do it but to compare the PS2 version to Intellivision is silly. I still think the graphics on the PS2 are fine. Graphics used to sell games and systems but that time is coming to an end and the success of the Wii and DS are proof of that.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #27
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
NCAA Next Gen:

Realistic looking player models
Realistic gameplay for those who play the "right" way (rare I know)
The gameplay is realistic on CG for those who play the "right" way as well. In 2007, the better graphics were obviously on NG but many felt the gameplay was better on CG. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

Quote:
NCAA Current Gen:

More Teams - What teams were missing from Next Gen that you "REALLY" couldn't do without?

More Authentic Stadiums: Did you play in ALL of the "authentic" stadiums?

More Responsive controls: Player Models.

Deeper Playbooks: If trick plays are what you like.

Alternate Unis: If two choices do not satisfy you.
Now c'mon, you seriously can't be trying to rationalize how NG doesn't have the stadiums and teams of CG. People like to play with a lot of teams and if their stadium (or their team) isn't in the game they'll be very disappointed. Not everyone is your cookie-cutter Florida/Ohio State/USC fan. (No offense to REAL Florida/Ohio State/USC fans.)

Again, I say that it is kind of sad that the NG guys have to resort to this to make them feel good about their game. We're all rooting for it, why can't we all get along?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

skills says he's a sim player, but hands down, the PS2 felt more like a sim football game than the 360 to anyone I know who played both.

I am really hoping that the Next Gen version of NCAA hits it out of the park and is a great game, but after reading the impressions, I know its still a year away. A few minor changes on the current gen and they'll have it nailed down.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #29
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Current gen isn't staying the same though. This isn't 2K5 where some people are playing the exact same game for three straight years. Granted it will be a similar experience, which most people love, but they are still tweaking the game. '07 was quite a bit different than '06.

Next gen has been hammered by everyone and the scores at Game Rankings reflect that. People have probably piled on too much but that's because expectations are so high. Everyone should want next gen to be great because we will all be there at some point but what's the rush? Next gen was a big disappointment for the on field gameplay last year and money is another issue for me. The NG game has to exceed current gen's gameplay for me to buy another system and I haven't seen that so far. This year's game may do it but to compare the PS2 version to Intellivision is silly. I still think the graphics on the PS2 are fine. Graphics used to sell games and systems but that time is coming to an end and the success of the Wii and DS are proof of that.
Where I differ from most is that I really only ask for two things from my sports video game: Realistic graphics (player models) and the ABILITY to play a realistic style. I get that from Next Gen NCAA which is why it suits me fine. You would have to elaborate on the "on the field" gameplay concerns you, and many people have with the next gen. On those RARE occasions when I was able to play another "sim" style player online, the games were great, defensive battles. Now when playing the usual gamer who would simply sprint the QB out of the pocket the wait for the flag route to develop, then yes, that is a gameplay issue I can wholeheartedly agree with.

As for the graphics on the PS2 and Xbox, well we will just have to agree to disagree on that one.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
NCAA Next Gen:

Realistic looking player models
Realistic gameplay for those who play the "right" way (rare I know)

NCAA Current Gen:

More Teams - What teams were missing from Next Gen that you "REALLY" couldn't do without?

More Authentic Stadiums: Did you play in ALL of the "authentic" stadiums?

More Responsive controls: Player Models.

Deeper Playbooks: If trick plays are what you like.

Alternate Unis: If two choices do not satisfy you.
Thanks for confirming that the current gen does indeed have much more than the next gen versions did last year. Trying to minimize these differences doesn't answer the original question that was asked. The poster wasnted to know what was different, not why "next gen rulz and current gen sux".

All it takes is 1 stadium to make a differnce in what ones are authentic. If your favorite team has a generic stadium in one game, but has the authentic one in another, it makes a big difference.

Trick plays are big part of college football. Guess you must have missed the Fiesta Bowl last year.

I don't know what realistic player models has to with responsive controls. The movements can be lifelike AND be responsive.

The teams? Are you kidding me? The next gen versions were missing an entire level. Like stadiums, to some people a single team can make a world of difference.

At least it's obvious that your agenda is to bash Xbox/PS2 versions to vaidate your decision to get a 360 or PS3. I'll move up to the new generation once they've added back all of the content from the last generation.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #31
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
skills says he's a sim player, but hands down, the PS2 felt more like a sim football game than the 360 to anyone I know who played both.

I am really hoping that the Next Gen version of NCAA hits it out of the park and is a great game, but after reading the impressions, I know its still a year away. A few minor changes on the current gen and they'll have it nailed down.
No, skillz doesn't "say" he is a "sim" player. He "is" a sim player. Anyone who has EVER played me will attest to that, without question.

Again, what are these "on the field" gameplay issues that current gen "sim" players have a problem with? As I stated, on those "rare" occasions when I was able to find a "sim" player in next gen, the games were great, defensive battles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Where I differ from most is that I really only ask for two things from my sports video game:
So why spend so much time and energy trying to belittle those of us who want more than that?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »