Home

A Trip Down Memory Lane - NCAA Retrospective

This is a discussion on A Trip Down Memory Lane - NCAA Retrospective within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #17
Pro

DoubleDeuce's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: A Trip Down Memory Lane - NCAA Retrospective

Hey Mizzou23, do you remember that they had the Ole Miss and Mizzou fight songs mixed up in NCAA 2002?

I never played college games in the Genesis era. I started with the first one on PS1 that had Danny Wuerffel on the cover, NCAA 98. It was basically Madden '97 with different uniforms, and we had played the hell out of Madden '97 our freshman year in the dorms so everybody was good.

I played NCAA '99 on PC because it had an early version of 3d acceleration and looked vastly better than the PS version. That was the last version on PC.

My favorite version would have to be (cliched but true) NCAA 2004. It was also Eli's senior year and he was one of the best QBs in the game, which made if more fun to use Ole Miss than usual.

NCAA 2005 was just awful. I had fun with 2006, but the game was fundamentally flawed because it was easier to complete a 40 yard pass than a 4 yard pass. That is obviously ridiculous. 2007 I got on 360 and didn't like it either. Hopefully they'll end the streak this year.

Last edited by DoubleDeuce; 06-28-2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

I have owned every college football game back to the text games on the commodore 64 back in the 80's.

With the slider tweaks and adjusting the coaching strategies, NCAA 2007 is the best game of the bunch as far as "arcade" games go. The stats are almost dead on and the polls and scores are pretty accurate. There are major problems with the kicking game and the occassional long ball issue, but I use some % dice before I kick a fg and will miss on purpose if the dice come up that way. I also use the thread the needle cheat so the AI has to kick at narrow uprights. So they do miss some fg's wide right & left. I also have my qb accuracy at 5% and the Ai's at 35% so there are a fair share of overthrown balls.

I loved NCAA 2004, but bottom line, even on heisman with the sliders stacked against me, I could roll up too many points. I remember being Texas and beating Boston College 117-21 on HEISMAN 7 minute quarters, it was the last game of 2004 I ever played.

As far as NCAA games go, the best ever will still be Lance Hafner's complete college football. A text game for the C64 that suprisingly had every player named and rated in a boatload of categories.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufer2
After reading these I feel really, really, really old because I've owned every version that EA has turned out since the first one in June 1993 ...

Bill Walsh College Football (Genesis)
... had 24 teams, no team names (Notre Dame was "South Bend")

Bill Walsh College Football 95 (Genesis)
... added playoffs or bowl games (Maple/Palm/Pecan/Rosewood Bowls. hahaha)

College Football USA 96, 97 (Genesis)
... all the teams, could play a season, real bowls
... adjust penalty settings, user records, substitutions, injuries, polls

NCAA Football 98 (PS1), 99, 2000, 2001, 2002 (PS2), 2003, 2004, 2005
... 98 had Dynasty Mode, recruiting
... 00 went from four bowls to 23

NCAA Football 06
NCAA Football 07
and yes, I will own NCAA Football 08

I do not have a PS3 or 360 (yet), but I laugh when I think how great it was when those Bill Walsh games came out. Seems like a million years ago.
I havent owned all of those but I've definitely played them all when they were out, lol.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 06-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #20
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDeuce
Hey Mizzou23, do you remember that they had the Ole Miss and Mizzou fight songs mixed up in NCAA 2002?

I never played college games in the Genesis era. I started with the first one on PS1 that had Danny Wuerffel on the cover, NCAA 98. It was basically Madden '97 with different uniforms, and we had played the hell out of Madden '97 our freshman year in the dorms so everybody was good.

I played NCAA '99 on PC because it had an early version of 3d acceleration and looked vastly better than the PS version. That was the last version on PC.

My favorite version would have to be (cliched but true) NCAA 2004. It was also Eli's senior year and he was one of the best QBs in the game, which made if more fun to use Ole Miss than usual.

NCAA 2005 was just awful. I had fun with 2006, but the game was fundamentally flawed because it was easier to complete a 40 yard pass than a 4 yard pass. That is obviously ridiculous. 2007 I got on 360 and didn't like it either. Hopefully they'll end the streak this year.
You know, I realized that the Mizzou fight song was Ole Miss, but I had no idea they gave Ole Miss the Mizzou fight song. I must have never played them. Honestly, at first I thought it was some kind of generic fight song they had given Mizzou. It wasn't until the next year sorting through all the fight songs when assigning one to my created team that I figured this out.

Classic!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #21
MVP

davin's Arena

2004 I think was the best for me in terms of I had the craziest, most fun games with that game. I really loved that game a lot. While 2005 I don't think was great I didn't seem to think it was the worst thing to ever happen to football gaming. 2006 was good but I think it was really seeming like such a similar game to the previous versions of the game. I had the 07 360 and loved it but there are some things that really get annoying. I am really pumped for 08 on 360, and really am ready for some new rosters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #22
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I started playing the NCAA series with the '98 installment. I don't remember much of the details of those days, just that I used Penn State exclusively. As for PS2/Xbox and onward....

NCAA '02
(Fr year of college): Three man dynasty between roommates. I was Clemson (Woody D!), one kid was Georgia Tech and one kid was FSU. The game amazed me at the time, I had never played PS2 before I got to college. I was hooked immediately.

NCAA '03 (So year of college): In the dynasty I used Texas and my roommate used Boston College. I believe we only played 2-3 seasons because we both really liked Madden this year and the Pats had just come off a SB win so my roommate was obsessesed with it.

NCAA '04 (Jr year of college): The king of the hill. I used Penn State and my roommate used Washington State in our shared dynasty. I also played over a dozen seasons with UConn (took them into the ACC and onto a 90+ game win streak). This version was the one I played the most and had the most fun with.

NCAA '05 (Sr year of college): Perhaps the day that will live in infamy, the first time I played '05. I was so disappointed I didn't know what to do. We tried to start dynasty after dynasty but we continually quit. I think the best we did was one full season - I was Michigan and my roommate was Boston College again.

NCAA '06 (1st year of real life): The game was an improvement over '05 by a long shot, but the dropped pass issue and WR's not turned their heads/raise their hands to catch the ball really killed the game for me. I enjoyed it as much as I could despite this game killer, I think the furthest I got was 3 years in with UConn.

NCAA '07 (2nd year of real life): I first played it on regular Xbox and enjoyed it a ton. It was way too easy to pass but nonetheless the game was a ton of fun. I had some classic battles with my roommate throughout the dynasty, I was Penn State and he was Notre Dame. I think we played seven seasons on all - second only to '04. I won three national titles and he won one.

I then bought a 360 and this game the same weekend of Michigan/Ohio State last year and enjoyed it but never started a dynasty because College Hoops was my main focus at the time.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

Last edited by ehh; 06-28-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #23
Pro

DoubleDeuce's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
You know, I realized that the Mizzou fight song was Ole Miss, but I had no idea they gave Ole Miss the Mizzou fight song. I must have never played them. Honestly, at first I thought it was some kind of generic fight song they had given Mizzou. It wasn't until the next year sorting through all the fight songs when assigning one to my created team that I figured this out.

Classic!
Yes, they were reversed. I had just graduated from Ole Miss and was in grad school at Mizzou so I figured it out quickly, but I guess I was one of the few people that actually would know the difference. I went back to Columbia for the game last year and wow did yall kick our asses. That QB is really good, I'm going to do another dynasty with Mizzou this year for old time's sake.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #24
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDeuce
Yes, they were reversed. I had just graduated from Ole Miss and was in grad school at Mizzou so I figured it out quickly, but I guess I was one of the few people that actually would know the difference. I went back to Columbia for the game last year and wow did yall kick our asses. That QB is really good, I'm going to do another dynasty with Mizzou this year for old time's sake.
Yeah, Daniel is really good. The offense should be great this year. Everybody comes back, and some of the freshmen that played last year are really good. My big question is the defense. At least they will be fun to play with on NCAA '08. Back when I started playing NCAA, Mizzou was terrible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »