Home

Greatest Moment(s) in NCAA History

This is a discussion on Greatest Moment(s) in NCAA History within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #17
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Greatest Moment(s) in NCAA History

Me and my best friend always had a little rivalry with sports games. He would play as Chicago teams and I would play as Detroit teams. Needless to say, there wasn't the same dynamic playing college football, because Illinois is no Michigan, so he always played as Nebraska. (This is Bill Walsh, btw.) And we decide that we're going to play a full game with 12:00 quarters to truly determine who's better.

Anyway, so he talks all kind of smack, says there's no chance I can beat him, he's been 'practicing', blah blah blah.

Out of the gate he takes a 21-0 lead and is completely elated with himself. (I should add that this guy is considerably conceited anyway, in all walks of life.) So, of course he's jumping up and down, telling me how he 'told me so' and such.

I don't merely proceed to win. I drop 56 straight points, and eventually 121 points to his pathetic 56. Yes, that's 121-35 after falling behind.

Years later I would bring this up from time to time and he denied it ever happened. He admits defeat, but for some reason he's convinced himself the score was close.

I'll carry this story to my grave. lol
Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #18
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDevilsASU
He just put the controller down, spit into his chew cup, and walked into his bedroom. He never came back out and our dynasty ended right there.
Holy **** dude... that is terrible. RIP.

Some people take gaming a little too seriously.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #19
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

I have a couple, but my most memorable was on NCAA 04 in a head-to-head game vs. my good friend who is pretty good on the sticks.

The match-up was NC State (me) vs. Virginia Tech. The game was mostly a defensive battle during regulation as the score was 17-17 heading into the 1st OT. In the first OT, my friend grinds out a TD on the ground to make it 24-17. I get possession and score on my first play on a slant route to Cotchery (from Phillip Rivers) - tied at 24-24. In the 2nd OT we exchange FGs to make it 27-27.

Where it gets interesting is in the 3rd OT. He has the ball on like 3rd and 20 and decides to go for it all and heave one to the endzone. One of his WRs comes down with it, but he is out of bounds! He ends up nailing the FG anyway to make it 30-27. Now it's my turn to make something happen. I don't do much on 1st or 2nd down, but on 3rd down, I manage to get a few yards and make it 4th and 4 yds to go. I throw a curl/comeback route to Cotchery (dude was money this game), I start to make a move, but get swarmed by Hokies. At this point, I have the first down, but I get greedy (and silly) and decide to pitch the ball to another WR near the sideline. The WR snatches the ball and starts to run down the sideline. No way! The endzone is right there. Go, go, go! I spin at like the 5 yd line to make him miss and dive in the endzone for 6! Ballgame. NC State wins 33-30 in 3 OTs.

We sat there in awe at the replay for about 10 minutes and analyzed how perfectly timed the pitch was and how it all came together. The funny thing is he wasn't even ticked that he lost the game because the last play was so nasty.

It was like the homemade version of the Hook and Ladder! My friend and I still talk about "The Crazy Lateral" I pulled off that night to win in 3 OTs.

What a game!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #20
Rookie

soonerhud07's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingChef
I think I've told this story before but I don't remember it too clearly. It's from NCAA 07 on Xbox:

I was playing as Stanford, visiting Colorado State. I was up by about three points, their ball, 4th quarter. I'm shutting them down - giving them the short game but nothing deep. They're around midfield when their QB drops back and rifles a deep one down the sideline. My CB and S run into each other as the WR runs underneath it, hauls it in, and walks into the endzone. CSU up by 4 with about a minute left.

I take the kick and am working the field. I have two stud Impact RBs, so I love to run out of the Pro formation. The Double HB Option is my favorite play. True to my form I keep the ball on the ground, picking up about 10 yards a chunk. I'm around their 40 or so when I decide to pop out a good old Double HB option. My man takes the ball and has open field, he's sprinting along the hashmark at the 30, 20, 15... and the safety catches him from behind at the 12. The clock shows 0:11. Frantically I try to call TO, but I'm out a TOs. I'm freaking out now, just mashing random buttons, trying to get to the line to run something - anything.

The clock keeps ticking and I see my team run up to the line. I have no idea what play I'm running. Right before I snap the ball, I notice that I'm still in the Pro formation. The ball is snapped and the Double HB Option is being run again. The clock shows 0:00. My RB takes the ball around the right side, and cuts upfield. He's swarming through defenders, and is at the 5... past the 5... and is hit at the 2.

As soon as contact was made, I pressed the pitch button immediately. He's being torn to the ground but I see him, somehow, pitch the ball to his right. The ball floats through the air as if in slow motion... and then collides with the back of a Colorado State defender, then ricochets into the endzone. A frenzy of diving players takes place in the end zone... but then I see on the screen Touchdown Stanford. My original RB had come up with the fumble.

It was the singular greatest moment in my gaming career.
It's funny how he says he doesn't remember it very clearly, yet that was one of hte most descriptive stories of NCAA i've read, lol sounded like an amazing finish
Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 14

I think I have everyone topped with this. I played a great game with my close friend who I play with all the time on PS2.

We both just random selected a team on NCAA 05 and I was Oklahoma playing at Georgia. I was getting beat the whole game and I wasn't getting any success with running with Adrian Peterson since UGA had a nice run defense. However, he must have felt cocky when he was driving down to inside 30 with 15 seconds left. He passed it down in the middle, even though he was up by 12 points and I had no timeouts. I intercepted it and pulled couple of jukes before I broke to the outside and took it to the house with 6 seconds left. I kicked the XP and made it.

Now, I knew that I had to do an onside kick. I kicked it and actually came up with the ball after his player fumbled it away. I called a shotgun play with Peterson on my side. I sent him to the slot on the left side and hot route him to a fly route. I snapped the ball at around 45 yard line on his side. I rolled out to the left with White and bombed it deep as far as I could. Peterson got a good look for the ball as it went slightly over his FS. He caught it, but was still 5 yard too short. His FS came up and tackled Peterson, but amazingly enough, he dragged him on to barely break the line with no time left to win the game.

Final score: OU - 26, UGA - 24

My friend just sat there in a major disbelief as I was jumping around the room, not believing at what just happened. He was questioning himself over and over about why did he threw the ball in the first place rather than just kneeling it away. Little did he know how one meaningless play can cost him 14 points and the game in just 15 seconds. It would have been exciting to win the game on the interception (reasonably possible), but to score off on a defensive TD, recover the onside, and score a desperate hail mary TD to a runningback, all that in less than 15 seconds...that's not something you would think that is even possible or even think of it.

It was the most memorable game he and I ever had. Even to this day when we play, I always brought up about OU/UGA's game and he'll just remember it so vividly because of how heart-breaking the game was for him.

That game earned over 2,500 for greatest game score, highest I've ever gotten.

Last edited by Silent Nature; 06-28-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2007, 01:27 AM   #22
Rookie

morganic's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingChef
Holy **** dude... that is terrible. RIP.

Some people take gaming a little too seriously.
He didn't commit suicide or anything, if you read the next part.

Quote:
I still laugh about with him to this day. Oh yeah, to my knowledge he's never played NCAA ever again.

These have been some great reads, too bad I haven't had any memorable games like these.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #23
Rookie

HuskAir's Arena

OVR: 5

NCAA 06 (I'm pretty sure... if not 06, it must've been 07').... A friend and I made a dynasty with 2 small schools with dual threat QBs...I'm talking real fast QBs....

We finally met in the middle of the season. We must've put together 1700ish yards this particular game. I can't remember the exact details of the game...but I'm pretty sure this is how it went....

I was up 120-115 (yes....this game was insane...no defense at all..just QBs running like hell) with about 30 seconds left. I figured it'd be lame to knee the ball and lose yardage , lol...so I ran an option left. I broke 2 tackles and made it to the outside...I high-stepped my way inside the 10. One of his CBs caught up to me...I dove into the endzone, but fumbled as I crossed the goalline. His CB picked up the ball, and returned it 103 yards for the game winning TD. 121-120 final, he won. Insane game...one of the most unbelievable endings...all I had to do was kneel it....

One of my personal proudest moments, was NCAA 2003. I won 3 straight national championships with Nebraska. Ironically, I had a running back #32 Amos Lawson. He was a big white guy with speed. He won the Heisman each of those 3 years. He was a beast. I played that game up until the night before 2004 came out.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:30 AM   #24
Rookie

HuskAir's Arena

OVR: 5

I guess while we're on the best ncaa moments, I may as well throw in 2 great madden moments for me as well.

Madden 2001, I was down with 1 second left. My friend was St. Louis, I was Oakland. I threw a bomb to Tim Brown I think, he caught it and ran it in as time expired.

Madden 2001, I shutout my friend for the 1st and only time ever so far, 38-0. Oakland @ St. Louis (I was Oak).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »