Home

Curious about why Gamestop has the game but just can't sell it yet...

This is a discussion on Curious about why Gamestop has the game but just can't sell it yet... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 19
Curious about why Gamestop has the game but just can't sell it yet...

I went and traded in some games today and reserved my copy of NCAA...here is how it went down...

I walk in, set my games on the counter as 2 employees are behind it, one startes looking through my games and the other is taping up a cardboard box. I say, let me use this to reserve NCAA for 360, the guy checking my games turns to the other and says "Are the 360's gone?" the other guy walks over to the cabinet behind the counter, grabs a copy of the game and says, "Not yet, here's your copy"...and proceeds to put it in the box he was taping up along with others...I say "Why not just give it to me and save us both time next week", he says he can't that he would lose his job, I said..."I won't tell, I don't even know your name!"....but my point is, I remember in years past having to wait in line for Madden because they had to actually wait for the box to be delivered, now why handcuff these game stores and make them wait until next week to sell it when they have it ready to go right now?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: Curious about why Gamestop has the game but just can't sell it yet...

I think it's an effort to be more movie-like. Movie theaters can't start showing a movie just because they get the movie in the mail. They have to wait until the movie's start date. It creates a bit more hype surrounding the whole event.

I understand why they do it. It just pisses me off that these stores have the games but can't sell them.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Go Ravens

ravensfan52's Arena

OVR: 3

Yeah I share the same viewpoint. I bet someone could explain it better than I but I would just assume that E.A. wants to keep a universal street date so that there wouldn't create a 1 week black market where people would get as many as they can and then sell them. I would think thats why but I think someone else might know the actual reason. But your experience kinda reminds me of that scene in The 40 year old virgin where the kid wants the shoes and he is like can I just give you the cash and you give me the shoes? but the lasy won't do it. ok ill stop.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Pro

UNLV_1999's Arena

OVR: 7

I don't understand the rationale either. I am not sure why stores can't sell it once it receives it. It is not so much a gamestop issue, as it is an EA issue (or industry issue). I guess their is some sort of industry reason about street dates or such. I am sure someone can shed some light on the reason.

The only thing I can come up with is that not all stores will have the game at the same time due to shipping, etc. So if one store gets it earlier than another, they will be able to sell their copies and the other store is at a disadvantage. If they set a certain street date, then everyone (in theory) should have received the shipments and can sell at the same time. That is my guess anyways.

Florida Gators, MBA 2007
Football: 1996, 2006
Basketball: 2006, 2007

UNLV Runnin' Rebels, BS Business Administration 1999
Basketball: 1990
Old 07-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 14

I remember when EB use to get these games earlier than the big stores and it use to mean something to pre order games. Now they are forced to sell them at the same time. EB will be out of business soon enough. They can't compete with the Best Buys and CC of the world who can sell it at the same time and in some cases add a little incentive to buy it at there store. What does EB offer anymore?

Coffey, you in Monroe? I'm in Charlotte..pm me. There is an outside shot we might be able to get the game early. Key word: Outside shot.

Last edited by cocobee; 07-11-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
BTG
Banned

BTG's Arena

OVR: 5

I had to check the date on this post to make sure it was from 2007. Wow, bro...where have you been for the past three years? This is about the 10,000th post like this in that time. lol

They do it because 1.) they want to build excitement, 2.) it helps them ensure that all stores in the nation have it and start selling it on the same day.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobee
I remember when EB use to get these games earlier than the big stores and it use to mean something to pre order games. Now they are forced to sell them at the same time. EB will be out of business soon enough. They can't compete with the Best Buys and CC of the world who can sell it at the same time and in some cases add a little incentive to buy it at there store. What does EB offer anymore?
That's what I have told my local Gamestop manager. They never have any $10 gift card specials or anything and they don't get the scoops anymore so there business will continue to suffer.

Oh as for why they have the game and won't sell it, it's because it's an elaborate practical joke

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's so that they don't show favor to any retailers by letting them sell it before others.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »