Home

OT issue?

This is a discussion on OT issue? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
OT issue?

I played a game yesterday night as Florida vs Auburn. The game went into OT. Auburn got the ball first. They scored a FG. I then got the ball and matched them with a FG. After that, I got the ball back on offense. Wasn’t Auburn supposed to get the ball back after I scored the FG? Anyway, I missed a FG try, then Auburn did get the ball back. I just found it weird me getting the ball after consecutive OT drives. What bothered me, was that Auburn drove to my 5 yard line. They did not try to end the game on a FG. They tried a run and 2 passing plays. They actually got a TD on 3rd down. I almost picked it off! A team in real life would of kicked the FG after moving the ball as deep as the 5 yard line to win in OT. What have you guys seen in OT?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: OT issue?

No, that is the correct series of events.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr888
I played a game yesterday night as Florida vs Auburn. The game went into OT. Auburn got the ball first. They scored a FG. I then got the ball and matched them with a FG. After that, I got the ball back on offense. Wasn’t Auburn supposed to get the ball back after I scored the FG? Anyway, I missed a FG try, then Auburn did get the ball back. I just found it weird me getting the ball after consecutive OT drives.
Because there is a significant advantage to playing defense first in any given OT in College Football, they alternate for each "pair" of overtime, with a coin toss at the beginning of each "pair". So there's a coin toss at the beginning of OT. The team that wins the coin toss always chooses defense first to know what they have to do once they get the ball. If it's still tied after the first OT, the roles are reverse for the 2nd OT. If it's still tied after that, they start over with a coin toss. Starting with 3rd OT you have to go for 2 after a TD.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
I played a game yesterday night as Florida vs Auburn. The game went into OT. Auburn got the ball first. They scored a FG. I then got the ball and matched them with a FG. After that, I got the ball back on offense. Wasn’t Auburn supposed to get the ball back after I scored the FG? Anyway, I missed a FG try, then Auburn did get the ball back. I just found it weird me getting the ball after consecutive OT drives. What bothered me, was that Auburn drove to my 5 yard line. They did not try to end the game on a FG. They tried a run and 2 passing plays. They actually got a TD on 3rd down. I almost picked it off! A team in real life would of kicked the FG after moving the ball as deep as the 5 yard line to win in OT. What have you guys seen in OT?
No - remember that OT in college football is based on alternate possessions, not on scoring.

Since each team will get a possession, the team that plays defense first gains an edge in the alternate possession. If your opponent scores a TD, you know that you need a TD to extend OT to another set of alternate possessions (or get a TD + 2 pt to win). If your opponent makes a FG, then you know that a FG ties it and a TD wins it. If you stop your opponent from scoring, then you gain an almost insurmountable advantage, as you now go on offense with only 25 yards between you and victory.

As such, they always give each team a chance to play defense first. If it goes to a third OT, they flip a coin again and restart the sequence. Starting on the third OT, teams must attempt a 2 pt conversion if they score a TD.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
That's probably true in the NFL but I wouldn't trust a college kicker for the win. John Madden never liked the early kick. He felt you should try to score and if you can't, just kick it on 4th down.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »