Home

What is YOUR review of NCAA 2008?

This is a discussion on What is YOUR review of NCAA 2008? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What grade do you give NCAA '08 for 360?
9.5-10 12 4.65%
9.0-9.4 54 20.93%
8.5-8.9 90 34.88%
8.0-8.4 54 20.93%
7.5-7.9 22 8.53%
7.0-7.4 12 4.65%
6.5-6.9 4 1.55%
6.0-6.4 3 1.16%
5.0-5.9 5 1.94%
0.0-4.9 2 0.78%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #17
Pro

gallandro's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: What is YOUR review of NCAA 2008?

I give it an 8.0 because of the Dynasty and Campus Legend modes. EA always does a great job with features in it's games. I have logged many hours with Campus Legend and it's a blast.

However, where it feel this game falls flat is on the field. Like someone said before it's like previous versions of NCAA "with a new coat of paint." There is nothing new or engaging here... it seems like the same thing (complete with recycled animations a tired old Lee Corso lines from 3 years ago) all over again.

Also, can someone answer me, does EA even bother to code player physics in this game (or Madden for that matter)... the only thing that seems to matter with these players is their attributes. Big fat lineman with apparently high agility scores can dive and jump as high as any LB or CB regardless of their weight. Players can stop on a dime and suddenly change directions 180 degrees even though they were sprinting full bore in one direction... there is no sense that momentum enters into the equation anywhere.

Interceptions and fumbles abound... sure you can adjust sliders, but the two sliders you would think would control interceptions (namely INTERCEPTIONS and Knockdown) appear to do absolutely nothing. Okay well let's just adjust Awareness... well that opens up a whole new can of worms where DBs become dumb as rocks, and D lineman cant seem to make plays.

Finally some genius at EA decided to remove all vestiges of home field advantage. The crowds are almost sedate and there's no sense at all that you are at a college game. Now I was no big fan of the screen shake from NCAA 06, but at least it gave you a feeling that you were inside a rocking stadium with crazed fans screaming.

I would have scored this lower, but Dynasty and Campus Legend mode are that good.

Yancy
Old 07-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #18
#OwnTheFuture

Benz87's Arena

OVR: 8

On the field it feel greatly improved. I like the tackling, a lot of good animations. There still something to be desired though. Kicking feels good to. It's more of a challenge it seems this year. You cant onstantly make 55 yarders anymore.

There still some problems with it being slow and skipping. When the snapshots are taken the game delays somewhat. The depth chart process is horrible, and sometimes glitchy.

Still isnt much to presentation. I wish they would bring back showing players warm up and have a feature player form each team. Possibly mention something about new recruits.

Dynasty recruiting is improved. You actually have to pay attention to what you are doing. Still feels like there is a lack of depth in dynasty and campus legend mode.

It's a good game and it will take my hours.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #19
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

A solid 8.5. I would take off 1 whole point for the passing game/QB play. It is awful and by far my biggest gripe. Another .5 points gets taken off for the atmosphere/presentation.........last gen games were FAAAAAR better in this regard.

Besides that though, I'm loving it and I feel like it is on the right track.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 07-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 15

I gave it an 8.5 but it would be so much better if they just added the little things like mouth pieces,refs,fg nets,better snow games,clear visors,put the bands back in the stands and let more than 2 players play a game at the same time. And there could be so much more but maybe next year.

My Teams
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Minnesota Vikings
NCAA FB: Nebraska Cornhuskers
NCAA BB: North Carolina Tar Heels
Old 07-24-2007, 07:06 PM   #21
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

9.5... close close to 9.4 though.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #22
Mr. Brightside

Acid's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsjaw
I voted 8.5 - 8.9. My only gripe is when going through the depth charts, it is a painstakingly slow process.
You can sort the overall ratings on the bottom menu of the depth chart.
But we all live in denial
Old 07-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #23
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

I'll go with IGN's 8.3. It's a solid game, but it has a couple issues here and there like excessive turnovers and the perfect pitch on the option. The presentation is sub par as well. The graphics are good, with the exception of the sidelines. The players on the sidelines are all 300+ pounds, no refs, no chain gang, etc.

I hate how injuries are presented in the game, the guy just lies on his back and a prompt comes up immediately saying what it is and how long he's out. We've got a 3 man booth, why not one of the take the responsibility of reporting injuries a few plays later?

The game also lacks animations that reflect the weather, like APF has like slipping. The only thing this game gives you is excessive fumbles.

But it's pretty deep, it keeps me coming back. I like how the recruiting is done as well. At first I was like "Oh gosh, 10 hours a week? This is really gonna be boring, I wish I could sim it, but I want good recruits." But now it's not so bad once I got the hang of it.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #24
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffryder8

The game also lacks animations that reflect the weather like slipping.
FYI there are slipping animations...Albeit, they don't happen often, but I've seen a few players slip and fall while trying to make a cut during a rain game.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »